Nook color inop. No response whatsoever, none, zip.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Somewhat disappointed with CM9 nightlies slowing down my Nook-Color, or so I believed, I rolled back to CM7 breifly and then reinstalled CM9 to see if the problem would go away, it did not, had not cured the problem.
So, not having had any bad memories of CM7, I restored, through my CWM restore, point saved for this purpose, and have had a black screen ever since.
I've tried all variations of button pushing I could think of to get a glimmer of life out of my beloved Nook, but, alas, all I get is black screen.
Is it really possible to actually brick a nook color ??

1hen2ducks

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
OK, here, now, I can get CWM to boot using eyeballers CWM img file from a separate SD card but am now stuck at restore with no items to restore to or from.
Mounted original SD card, the one with previous restore points, but can't find them.
Maybe I should burn the image file to the normally main SD ? I'm guessing here.
I'll go read some more.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like maybe the original SD card died on you. Can you insert it into the PC and see if you can locate the nanroid backups you made? If so copy from card to PC. Then swap the recovery card that is working into the PC and copy those files to it. Place in Nook, boot to recovery, wipe system/data and caches then restore from the nanroid backup.

JP

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
OK, that worked sort of and will continue to work as long as I leave the Bootable SD with CM? installed, so essentially I have a single boot, "dual boot" device.
I can return to B&N stock and do the same and have B&N as well.

I think.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can also flash ClockWorkMod Recovery onto your EMMC and install any ROM there as well. It shouldn't be dependent on the bootable card. It sounds possible that you accidentally erased boot from EMMC and you might need to recover that. There are a couple of threads here going over how to restore boot.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Yes, I found a boot recovery out there (XDA) and that solved some issues, now it's time to rebuild the essentials and lose the rest of the stuff we used to think to be so important.
Ran a Quad Standard, got 1700. This nook used to run low twenties. Where has my speed gone ? CPU set at 1200 on demand. Too many apps ?
I'm thinking of a complete restore to stock and then a redo using a bootable ROM on the side. Do you think I can regain the speed ?

Hi Gloria !

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think restoring to stock will make a difference. You might want to check out supercharger though. [SCRIPT] V6 SuperCharger tried on NookColor - xda-developers.

You also have to remember this is a single core 800MHz processor that started out with Quadrant scores around 900, so while it may no longer be the fastest iteration you have had 1700 is still pretty good for an "old" device.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
To put things in perspective, run Quad score on your Nook Color and compare to the top of the page at 4500.
Two years ago Nook was very near the "top of the page"

M

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No doubt things have moved on. Fortunately I can still feel good about being at the top of the list using my HOX ;) Still 1700 isn't too bad for a NC though 2000 would be better :D

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Best I could do was 2187 running at 12,000 conservative but I can't make screenshot work.

M