nook color v1.4.1 software update is available...

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
Has anyone tried this version with a dual boot microSD yet? I was just wondering if there are any issues with dual booting using this new software version...

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
I was curious about the new features as well.

The NOOK Color Ver 1.4.1 update contains new features and enhancements, including:

• Access to popular movies and TV shows streamed through Netflix
  • NOOK Comics™ including the largest collection of Marvel graphic novels - with vivid colors & rich images, the action nearly jumps off the page. Your issues always in perfect condition to enjoy again & again.
  • PagePerfect™ NOOK Books™ - a whole new category of NOOK Books carefully crafted to keep the precision and beauty of their stunning print versions. Zoom in on pictures, and fluidly scroll through pages of beautiful cookbooks, art books, and more.
  • Over 100 enhancements, including reading NOOK Books in portrait and landscape modes, direct look-up of words in the built-in dictionary, increased font size selection, and more.

If anyone has tested them out, how are they?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I was just wondering if there are any issues with dual booting using this new software version...

There shouldn't be any impact, since everything is being loaded from the SD.

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
So... I guess my question would really come down to, is there any way that B&N could lock down the bootloader of the nook color with a software update? I would like to think that they wouldn't do that, but no one thought they would do it to the nook tablet either. Just wondering if it's even possible.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So... I guess my question would really come down to, is there any way that B&N could lock down the bootloader of the nook color with a software update? I would like to think that they wouldn't do that, but no one thought they would do it to the nook tablet either. Just wondering if it's even possible.

Nope, this isn't possible. Rest easy my friends, the Nook Color genie is never going back in the bottle :)

JP

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Lets just say I was to want to return my NC to stock with this new release 1.4.1. Could I install the 1.4.1 Zip file with the zip option in the Rom Manager? Would it completely over writhe the CM7? Just wondering, because that would be very easy.

Last edited:

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
my nook is not rooted, yet.I just updated it and so far so good

Yeah, that's right. if its not rooted you just copy it to your root directory on the Nook or get it OTA and the way you go, but mine is running one of the nightly CM7 Roms so it doesn't work the same way. I'm just wondering if I can install the new update the same way I install a new Rom.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Lets just say I was to want to return my NC to stock with this new release 1.4.1. Could I install the 1.4.1 Zip file with the zip option in the Rom Manager? Would it completely over writhe the CM7? Just wondering, because that would be very easy.

Nope, doesn't work like that. At least I don't think so, though I don't know if anybody has actually tired. The update file from B&N is an update zip that has some script they have created which runs and updates according to stock software. It isn't the same type of flashable zip that you would use through ClockWork.

Good news is somebody will probably make a stock 1.4.1 zip that can be used with CWR in a short time. In any case because you are completely changing ROMs you should do the necessary wipes and not just try to flash through ROM Manager.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Nope, doesn't work like that.

Good news is somebody will probably make a stock 1.4.1 zip that can be used with CWR in a short time.

I don't understand EX-ACKLY what you mean there JP; when I rooted my Nook and ran CWR via the EMMC, I thought I was giving up all Nook-ness forever. That was and is fine with me.
Question is; what benefit will I get from the new Nook update,via CWR ??

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, just so as everybody is on the same page (because I'm not sure what page I'm on ;)) here is the break down.

Options:

Stock - Can be upgraded with B&N updates
Stock Rooted - Can possibly be updated by B&N updates will break root. Can be restored to stock and updated using B&N updates. Can be rerooted.
Stock Rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) on emmc (internal memory) - Can't be updated using B&N updates. Can be restored to stock and updated using B&N updates. Can be rerooted.
Custom ROM (CM7, etc.) - Can't be updated using B&N updates. Can be restored to stock and updated using B&N updates. Can be rerooted.

So basically you can only use B&N updates on a stock B&N device. You can always return to stock B&N. After B&N 1.2 (change from Eclair to Gingerbread meaning Flash supported) most B&N updates don't have any real advantage for a rooted user. If you want to return to stock you may have to wait for a root to come out for that particular B&N update before rerooting. A custom ROM will replace anything and everything you are loading it in place of, so there is no need to update B&N software at all if you are using a custom ROM unless you want to go back to using B&N software in general, rooted or stock.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I was curious about the new features as well.

If anyone has tested them out, how are they?

--Netflix seems slow compared to running on CM7.1.
--Only reads CBZ, but it does a really great job of it. If it had CBR support, It would be perfect.
--No idea. I guess you have to buy the perfect books because the ones I had already did not look different.
--Landscape is a novelty. I prefer portrait. Dictionary is more like Kindle. Font sizes were pretty much basic. With the two smallest ones, the smallest was too small, but the next one was a bit too large.

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
Options:

Stock Rooted - Can possibly be updated by B&N updates will break root. Can be restored to stock and updated using B&N updates. Can be rerooted.
Stock Rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) on emmc (internal memory) - Can't be updated using B&N updates. Can be restored to stock and updated using B&N updates. Can be rerooted.
Custom ROM (CM7, etc.) - Can't be updated using B&N updates. Can be restored to stock and updated using B&N updates. Can be rerooted.

OK, that makes sense. If you have rooted your device, the only way you can use the B&N update is to return to the stock software. If you dual boot (with an SD card), you can use the B&N update if you boot into the B&N software.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Ok, just so as everybody is on the same page (because I'm not sure what page I'm on ;)) here is the break down.

Options:

So basically you can only use B&N updates on a stock B&N device. You can always return to stock B&N. After B&N 1.2 (change from Eclair to Gingerbread meaning Flash supported) most B&N updates don't have any real advantage for a rooted user. If you want to return to stock you may have to wait for a root to come out for that particular B&N update before rerooting. A custom ROM will replace anything and everything you are loading it in place of, so there is no need to update B&N software at all if you are using a custom ROM unless you want to go back to using B&N software in general, rooted or stock.

As always JP, your explanations are awesome :)