Nook Tablet Web Question

thompj

Mar 26, 2012
I have an unrooted Nook that I attempt to use for my online school but I can not type in the forum pages. I wanted to know if there is an app on the nook or a way to find an app that will work since tech support through B&N says their web service just does not cover certain online forum situations at this time. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Why can you not type? Does the keyboard not pop up? Are you going to the forum directly through the web browser or are you using an app? If an app what is it called?

thompj

Mar 26, 2012
Why can you not type? Does the keyboard not pop up? Are you going to the forum directly through the web browser or are you using an app? If an app what is it called?

The keyboard does not pop up from directly from the web browser on the Nook Tablet. I tap in the box to start typing and the screen starts zooming in and out. It will not bring up the keyboard at all. I do not use any other app on the Nook tablet since I can not get the University of Phoenix app on my tablet since B&N does not offer it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just got a Nook Tablet yesterday and have been reading up on it. Stand by for root, custom ROMs and recovery instructions or you can go check out XDA to see the many threads they already have there covering these subjects. The fixes will allow you to use your Nook Tablet however you want including running CM7 and installing apps from markets other than B&N (i.e. Amazon and Google).

In the mean time, try going into browser settings and change the defaults to show the desktop view of web pages instead of mobile. This may help with the keyboard issue.

JP

thompj

Mar 26, 2012
Yes I've tried to change the settings and have contacted B&N but the built in web service just will not let me type in it. I've thought about rooting it but I'm not entirely sure what that does to the system or how it even changes it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rooting just means you have access to all of the files and settings. In it self root doesn't do anything but it allows you to do things you would not otherwise be able to do like install markets other than Barnes & Noble. At this point there are some quite easy methods to achieve root so that you can unlock the potential of your device.

Taking it one step further you can entirely replace the B&N version of Android with a basically stock Google version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread (CM7) or even a stock Google version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (CM9). These truly make the device into a tablet with full tablet features including standard home launchers, widgets and a full array of apps and is the way to go unless you absolutely need to have the B&N OS (in which case there are options to keep that but run custom ROMs from SD cards).

JP

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
JP. Please let me know if my Nook tablet can now be rooted. I don't know how to do it. Is it a simple thing to do?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JP. Please let me know if my Nook tablet can now be rooted. I don't know how to do it. Is it a simple thing to do?

Hi Fairhope, just asking once in a related thread will do. Please see the response in the other thread.