Nook Tablet won't stay connected to Netgear WNR2000

freakytah

Nov 22, 2011
I picked up a nook tablet yesterday, and haven't had any luck getting it to stay connected to the internet. I took it back in to the store and they said that is was defective and gave me a new one (it connected at the store, but kept resetting). I stayed at the store with the new one to see how it worked...I watched netflix a little, surfed the web, etc...just fine.

Now that I'm back at home it won't connect. When it initially connects to the network it says "connected to the internet" but anytime I try to use the web nothing works. My router is a WNR2000 that has all the current updates. I've never had any issues using wi-fi with my computer or android phone, and plenty of people have accessed my internet just fine.

Is this a running trend? Are there certain routers that won't work with the device? I really don't want to purchase another router just to use this thing...

Thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nope, but you might have to reset your router. Unplug it for about 10 seconds or so then plug it back in to power cycle it. Then see if your connection works better.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you using WPA encryption or WEP? If WEP try switching to WPA.

freakytah

Nov 22, 2011
I've cycled the router a few times, powered down the tablet, forgotten and re-entered my network, and tried running it on WPA-PSK [TKIP], WPA2-PSK [AES], and WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] with no success.

I was at micro center today to ask someone there for ideas, and they said it could be a port forwarding issue? He said to look up the default for the nook, but I can't find anything like that online. I know enough to generally make stuff work, but this is a little over my head. Anyone have any idea what he's talking about? I found the port forwarding section in my router, but I'm not sure what to set it to to see if that's the issue

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Is the router dual band 5Ghz/2Gz? Some devices do not support them. If is a security issue, try disabling the security on the router to see if it connect like that. If it does then is security for sure.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

freakytah

Nov 22, 2011
According to the netgear forums it's 2.4Ghz only. That's a good idea to try without any security, but unfortunately it's still doing the same thing. It gets an IP, says connected to the internet, but when I try it loses it's connection.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is your time and date synced? I have seen problems if it is too far off and can't stay connected long enough to sync. If the time is far off try manually setting then turn on the auto update.

freakytah

Nov 22, 2011
You mean the time and date on the tablet? Yeah that's all correct. Man this is frustrating!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I meant time and date on the tablet. Just trying some random things encountered in the past at this point. I understand how frustrating that must be.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Try connecting it to another router. It cold just be a bad radio on the tablet.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
I have a Netgear router also, not the same model. Not only do I have problems with it connecting to my NC CM7.1, but other people have problems connecting too. I have tried all the above, changes in the other posts, but nothing seems to help. The only one I have not tried is connecting when running stock, to see if it's maybe a CM7 issue. I'm not where that router is til tomorrow, so I'll give it a try then. I'm connected to a Bellingham right now and have never had a problem.

Sent from my NookColor CM7 7.1 on SD

freakytah

Nov 22, 2011
Well I was out of town for the weekend, and the nook ran perfectly on 5 different routers while I was gone. Now that I'm back it's still having the same connection problem. It's getting quite annoying!

dutchpotatoe

Nov 28, 2011
I picked up a nook tablet yesterday, and haven't had any luck getting it to stay connected to the internet. I took it back in to the store and they said that is was defective and gave me a new one (it connected at the store, but kept resetting). I stayed at the store with the new one to see how it worked...I watched netflix a little, surfed the web, etc...just fine.

Now that I'm back at home it won't connect. When it initially connects to the network it says "connected to the internet" but anytime I try to use the web nothing works. My router is a WNR2000 that has all the current updates. I've never had any issues using wi-fi with my computer or android phone, and plenty of people have accessed my internet just fine.

Is this a running trend? Are there certain routers that won't work with the device? I really don't want to purchase another router just to use this thing...

Thanks!

I tried changing all the settings as well. Netgear is the only router I've had these issues with. Before the Nook Tablet I had a similar issue with my nokia smart phone.

Anyway.. the way I fixed it was by downloading the latest driver from the netgear site and then accessing the router the normal way and doing an update by selecting the driver file. It's working alright now.