Not Enough Room

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Okay. Just got my new Thrive and I love it. And now it's time for my first issue. :confused:

I'm transfering 3 folders full of about 100ea .cbr files. They're my comics. All super small, and folders don't exceed like 1.25gb. Now my Thrive is the 8gb and when I go into storage it shows practically nothing being used because it's brand new and I just have a few apps I dled.

So I went into file manager and made a folder labeled Comics. Tried to copy/paste all 3 folders and it wouldn't work. It will do one folder but then when I try the next it says there is not enough room. When I go into storage I can see the one that worked and there is still plenty of room. What gives?...

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Which file manager app are you using? Where are you trying to move them from? sdcard,usb drive, or windows?

Sent from my Thrive

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Which file manager app are you using? Where are you trying to move them from? sdcard,usb drive, or windows?

Sent from my Thrive

I'm using the file manager that was on the device when I got it. It was factory reset because it ran me threw the basic setup when I started it. So I assume the file manager comes stock with it. Should I try dling astro file manager and using that? I'm moving them from a 4gb usb flash drive to the main tablet storage I believe? It's where the music, picture, etc folders are. I figured I could just make a comics folder and drop them in there to keep it nice and neat.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Just thought of this, remember in the thread where you asked about a recommendation and I mentioned the 3 gb app partition? If your running honeycomb 3.2 or maybe even stock ics 4.04 from the toshiba service station app, the 3 gb partition is present however it is lumped in under the storage tab looking like 1 partition. So with an 8 gig thrive, you probably started with 7 or 6 after formatting and the OS partition, then 3 is reserved for apps. This should still give you 3 gigs for storage though. The best advice I have for you is to purchase an sdcard and store your comics on it. Then hopefully you can point the comic viewer app to the external sd instead of the internal memory.

Sent from my Thrive

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
I already have a 16gb sd card. I sorta just assumed I could at least store my comics on the 8gb. I remember that but I'm still a bit confused by what you mean. Well, not really. I just find it confusing I can't see that breakdown and it clearly shows that I "have room" when I'm under storage. Just so I'm making sure I explained myself correctly I took a screen shot.

$.png

As you can see it allowed me to transfer my spider man comics over. Now it says there is no room. I transfered from USB storage to internal storage. The folder was only like a little more than 1gb. So that's seriously all the room I have?...

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Check under settings ----->storage and see what it says there. Attached is the picture from mine. Of the 14gb total listed, 3gb of that is reserved for apps due to a dedicated partition. If the free space listed there is around 3gb, then thats probably just your app partition free since its a fresh device. Sorry for the confusion the app partition is causing.

Sent from my Thrive

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1361058789341.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1361058789341.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 513

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Here is the complete size of all three folders on the flash drive.

$Flash Drive.JPG
Here is what you requested from the tablet. This is after I removed the only folder it let me transfer. See why I'm confused?... It showed a TAD misc. when I had the single folder on there but appeared as though there was plenty more room.
$.png

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Of the 5 gb available, 3 gb is your app partition. From your screenshots, I suspect that you can move one entire folder and probably half of the other one. I should have specifically recommended the 16 gb version to you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Bah'. Maybe so. It's okay. This one came with a 16gb sd card. I also have the 4gb usb card, and a 160gb external hdd that I'm sure will work. I believe it requires 2x usb ports for the transfer capability but the dock happens to have 2. ;) Minor inconvenience. That should do me just fine while traveling until I decide to break down and get a LARGE sd card. Can't you get them up to like 164gb supported on this device?

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
The 128 gb cards work on certain roms for thrive. It will probably work on stock ICS, it'll have to be formatted as fat32 or exfat. NTFS formatting is only supported on some custom roms, I believe. Glad to hear you like the tab even with its quirks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2