Nvidia Unveils The Tegra 4i – Quad-Core Cortex-A9 Clocked At 2.3GHz And 60 Cores GPU

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Rajesh Pandey on February 19th, 2013

Nvidia today announced a new addition to its Tegra family of mobile processors – the Tegra 4i. The Tegra 4i uses the same 4-plus-1 architecture that Nvidia used on the Tegra 3 and Tegra 4. However, the company has replaced the Cortex-A15 cores on the Tegra 4i with four Cortex-A9 cores clocked at 2.3GHz.

nvidia-phoenix-tegra-4i.jpg

“NVIDIA is delivering for the first time a single, integrated processor that powers all the major functions of a smartphone,” said Phil Carmack, senior vice president of the Mobile business at NVIDIA. “Tegra 4i phones will provide amazing computing power, world-class phone capabilities, and exceptionally long battery life.”

On the GPU side, Nvidia has bumped the numbers of “cores” from 12 to a whopping 60. The T4i also boasts of the same Chimera camera technology that the Tegra 4 has. This allows the Tegra 4i to shoot and record videos in HDR in less than a second, and even capture HDR panoramas.

One advantage that the Tegra 4i will have over its faster sibling, Tegra 4, is an inbuilt i500 LTE modem. Nvidia showed off the Tegra 4i in its reference Android platform, the Phoenix, that sports a 5-inch 1080p display, 2GB of RAM and an 8/13MP camera sensor from Sony or Aptina.

Nvidia Tegra 4i powered Android smartphones and tablets should hit the retail shelves sometime in the second half of Q2, 2013.