Odd new? GTablet - should I keep

mstassey

Apr 30, 2011
I bought a new GTablet from Amazon (received yesterday) that is acting odd and I don't know if I should return it or keep working with it. :confused: I have not rooted it or done any custom mods because I first wanted to be sure the hardware was OK. It did NOT boot into stock ROM. After update to 3588 it worked OK, but then had media problems (bad sound, could not play videos) which went away on restart. I have contacted Customer Support but not heard back yet. I would like some advice on how to proceed. Details below:

Ordered from Amazon
Order Placed: April 27, 2011
Order Total: $329.99

1 of: ViewSonic gTablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2 [Personal Computers]
Condition: New
Sold by: Digital Pavilion Electronics LLC (seller profile)

Model UPC300-2.2 Serial Number
Received April 29, 2011
1. Unpacked - no visible damage, box in good shape, plastic over screen
2. Charged until light turned green
3. Powered on – No setup screens, desktop was beautiful with illusion of fall leaves floating on water that moved as you tilted the screen (Did not boot into standard ROM Now have found this is STD wallpaper and probably stock ROM as had update option)
4. Established wireless connection
5. Prompted to do update but declined
6. Clock was set at pacific time - reset
7. Kindle app was on screen, but unable to register because “no internet connection present”
8. Tried browser and was able to search web
9. Tried to update, got message that android. Process. Media had problem – force close
10. Download of update stuck at 46%
11. Powered down and then power up again
12. Successful at doing the update to 3588, then the unit did an auto restart
13. This time was asked setup questions (location, etc.) and booted into stock ROM with beach
14. Able to load Amazon Market and downloaded apps from there (Kindle, Amazon media, Amazon mobile, PDF Reader, some free games)
15. When I tried to play music (sample and one song downloaded from Amazon cloud) sound was terrible, tinny and scratchy both from its speakers and earphones. This was also true of the alert sounds. Could not play sample videos. Got freeze ups. King Kong – message that it could not play this video.
16. Wrote to Viewsonic Customer support describing the problem with the sound.
17. Powered down and then powered up again.
18. Tried music again and it played fine and was able to play the King Kong video.

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
This does sound unusual. I would Contact the seller for an exchange or refund.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

mstassey

Apr 30, 2011
This does sound unusual. I would Contact the seller for an exchange or refund.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Thank you Raven! I have heard from Customer Support and it seems the 24 hour support line is not available. Hmm. Will do as you suggest on Monday.

Really love the parts that work!