OMG!!! Ubuntu netbook works great on Viewpad 10

dleite

Mar 24, 2011
I have not had a problem getting Ubuntu to work with any computer type; there always seems to be someone else blazing the path on google. Before you do anything get together the following;

1) get the following equipment ready; external CD/DVD, external hard drive, lots of USB keys (for booting Ubuntu, Android, Acronis), usb hub, usb mouse/keyboard. Dont forget another computer that is running google and other software unetbootin, acronis etc so you can always check back or fallback.
2) lots of time, patience and beer. Getting some of these things working takes not just your full attention but hours to get working. Put the kids to bed, tell your wife you love her, and sit down with a few BEvERages to get it working.

Backup all your files. Make sure you have external copies of your current installation so you can fall back.

I don't see why it can't work.

dleite

Mar 24, 2011
You have to do a few things:

1: get the touch feature to work properly here,

Ollie Reardon » Ubuntu 10.10 & Viewpad 10

2: tweak it just a bit here

Ubuntu Netbook Remix Tweaks - JogglerWiki

And anyone else who knows Ubuntu, change the desktop environment to gnome, i dont suggest using Unity. it seems to be very slow.

And guess what, I god Adobe PDF reader installed.

I'm so happy. I actually have a working tab.

To get the viewpad speaker to work,

download and install this;

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...0637rc2_2.6.37-020637rc2.201011160905_all.deb

and then from a terminal

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

and add the line

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

I suggest downloading and installing Easystroke to enable gestures to do things like page up, page down, escape, and even password text.

Also, use Chrome with the Touch extension. It makes browsing so much easier.