On/Off switch not working & stuck on boot screen

jim6149

May 29, 2011
Hi, my tablet's on/off switch has stopped working and it is stuck on the boot screen.
it is a model FR-809 Freescale A8 Mx515
2 speaker
Android 2.2
It came from China in May.

Could it be bad soldering? as mentioned in other posts, or a software issue?

Cheers
Jim

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Hi, my tablet's on/off switch has stopped working and it is stuck on the boot screen.
it is a model FR-809 Freescale A8 Mx515
2 speaker
Android 2.2
It came from China in May.

Could it be bad soldering? as mentioned in other posts, or a software issue?

Cheers
Jim

The 'off' button doesnt really cut off the power. If you are stuck at the boot screen, use a pin to press the reset button while the power switch is in the 'off' position and it should 'off' it.

jim6149

May 29, 2011
Thanks Hock - tired it but no luck getting past the boot screen - also it is re-booting itself at random now.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Had two of these do same thing , it was bad soldering , Came from ***************, I shipped them both back ,not functioning, in the first 10 days, It cost 20.00 each to ship back, That was January, No refund and no new tablets, I got royally screwed over by them , I am out 350.00 plus shipping!

jim6149

May 29, 2011
Android - sounds like I will be taking it apart - better get a fire extinguisher, it's been a while since I soldered anything.

jim6149

May 29, 2011
Had two of these do same thing , it was bad soldering , Came from ***************, I shipped them both back ,not functioning, in the first 10 days, It cost 20.00 each to ship back, That was January, No refund and no new tablets, I got royally screwed over by them , I am out 350.00 plus shipping!

That sucks - I got mine from DinoDirect they are just as bad.

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Android - sounds like I will be taking it apart - better get a fire extinguisher, it's been a while since I soldered anything.

Try to get into recovery mode by holding the menu+home key and then pressing the reset button while the power key is turn on.

If it work, you can try to update to a working androd rom.

jim6149

May 29, 2011
Try to get into recovery mode by holding the menu+home key and then pressing the reset button while the power key is turn on.

If it work, you can try to update to a working androd rom.
No good, I can't get into recovery mode and my laptop can't connect to it - its time to pull it apart and get soldering.

jim6149

May 29, 2011
No good, I can't get into recovery mode and my laptop can't connect to it - its time to pull it apart and get soldering.

Well that did not go well :(
I broke the screen.
Please note if you are going to pull the screen off using a suction cup - be gentle, they snap easily. Maybe use some leverage as well the cup.
When I got in, I did not notice a solder problem but the internal sd card was not in place properly so that might have been the problem.

Next step.

Chuck in the garbage and go get another...Don't tell my wife.

Cheers
Jim

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
If you get another there are instructions available to safely remove the screen.

In the meantime sell the broken one for parts or buy another touchscreen and get soldering.
:)

Sent from my imx51_bbg using Tapatalk