Onda V972 or Ainol Nove 9 Firewire - Which one??

scarytas

Jan 11, 2013
Hi, I know this is probably covered somewhere else, but I can't just find.

I am giving serious consideration to either one of these: (not necessarily from this shop)

Onda V972 - http://www.***************/store/pr...Allwinner-A31-Quad-core/100712_730959212.html

Ainol Nova 9 - http://www.***************/store/pr...S-2048-1536-Android-4-1/100712_733282214.html

Obviously the specs are pretty similar so the real question comes down to which one - Onda or Ainol - builds the best tablets and has the best support in terms of firmware upgrades.

For me 2 important considerations are weight and wifi.

The Ainol appears to weigh 642G, but I can't find a difinitive weight for the Onda.

From what I can glean from searching the Onda seems to have the Realtek RTL811EUS wifi chipset and the Ainol the Realtek8188. I would need some advice on which is likely to perform better.

Other differences between the two are in battery size 8000 vs 10,000 mAh

Both tablets have the same GPU - POWER VR SGX544MP2. However some sites list the Ainol as a Vivante GC1000.

Like all of these things there are plus and minus for each.

I am tending towards the Onda, but that is really just on "gut" feeling.

The reality may well be different as I have not handled either a Onda or Ainol product.

I would be interested in anyon'se experience, particularly those who have tablets from both Onda & Ainol.

Thanks

A quick add:
I did find this link to a breakdown of the Onda, but you will need Google translate.
http://mid.pconline.com.cn/review/1301/3147839.html

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2013
I have been thinking about these two.

To be honest I am not sure if the irewire has been released yet, the V972 definitely has.

I have been looking at the comments on Taobao regarding the V972 (Chinese ebay alike) and most of them say the screen is brilliant but the wifi and battery not so much.

Also a few report that the firmware is not as mature as thye had hoped.

Not sure when the firewire will be released.

scarytas

Jan 11, 2013
I have been thinking about these two.

To be honest I am not sure if the irewire has been released yet, the V972 definitely has.

I have been looking at the comments on Taobao regarding the V972 (Chinese ebay alike) and most of them say the screen is brilliant but the wifi and battery not so much.

Also a few report that the firmware is not as mature as thye had hoped.

Not sure when the firewire will be released.

Thanks,

From what I can glean from various sellers the Ainol Firewire should be available sometime this month (January). Some sites suggest they have stock, but most are on pre-order.

In regards to the Onda I have seen reviews that seem to indicate the processor is currently limited to 1ghz even though some of the specs on some sites say 1.5ghz.

Fortunately I am in no hurry, so will wait until there are some hands on reviews.

Jan 11, 2013
Thanks,

From what I can glean from various sellers the Ainol Firewire should be available sometime this month (January). Some sites suggest they have stock, but most are on pre-order.

In regards to the Onda I have seen reviews that seem to indicate the processor is currently limited to 1ghz even though some of the specs on some sites say 1.5ghz.

Fortunately I am in no hurry, so will wait until there are some hands on reviews.

I have no reason to be in a hurry either, however I tend to be impatient.

From what i have read the V972 processor is 1ghz quad core capable of being overclocked to 1.5

I have not be able to find definitive info on the Novo 9 processor.

If you want to the Chinese version of Youtube - youku dot com - has videos. Type in v972 to have a look.

The prices here for the V972 are about £130 so it's very tempting to pull the trigger now rather than wait to see if the Ainol one is any good!