Onda Vi40 with 4.0 ICS

iJohn

Feb 17, 2012
Greetings, I'm a noob to Android tablets, and need help before laying out cash on a new tablet

I have done some searching on Chinese sites for Android tablets and have found one which I really like the specs. It is the following tablet by Onga:

[h=1]Onda Vi40 9.7 Inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC IPS Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A10 1.5GHz 1GB/16GB Quad Full HD 2160P Decoding Wifi Two Cameras[/h]
Now, my questions.

1. I understand Android ICS 4.0 does not have the Android store on it - is this correct ? How do I get apps ? and more importantly, can I upgrade the software to newer 4.03 which might give me access to the Android store ? Are Android tablets like iPads - everytime a new version of software comes out, you just do an easy update...or will I be stuck with 4.0 ICS ?

2. Does anyone know if this Chinese tab will arrive in English, or will I be left with a doorstop all written in Chinese ?

3. Would I be better off looking for a tab different tab with Android Honeycomb on ? or do you think I must get the latest 4.0 ICS ?

4. Anyone with experience on the above tab ? good or bad ?

Many thanks

John

arntfoel

Oct 11, 2011
Mine had 4.0.1, easily upgraded to 4.0.3 from Onda homesite. The chinese marked works well, but I downloaded a market fix and got the real android market and google account. All languages included, I use norwegian. The best tab I have tried , battery time and screen is really ok.

lokiyo

Feb 23, 2012
Mine had 4.0.1, easily upgraded to 4.0.3 from Onda homesite. The chinese marked works well, but I downloaded a market fix and got the real android market and google account. All languages included, I use norwegian. The best tab I have tried , battery time and screen is really ok.

Hey! What's the Onda Website? The one I've found is the one for Onda Mobile Communications, it's an Italian manufacturer, but it's not the one that makes the Onda Vi40! I'll be so glad if you can tell me!

arntfoel

Oct 11, 2011
www.onda.cn it is Chinese.. used google translator so you can find link to software. The market fix you will find by a search on google (OndaVi40Marketfix)

cellocgw

Feb 29, 2012

Just got my Onda Vi40, and can't figure out how to load 4.0.3 I have the Vi40_V3_V0.8.1.img file . Can I place it somewhere on the Onda memory? Is there a "secret" button sequence to go into upgrade mode? or do I need a driver? I'd rather do the upgrade from my iMac instead of digging up a Windows machine, if possible.

thanks for your help.

leostockhouse

Mar 15, 2012
Hey! What's the Onda Website? The one I've found is the one for Onda Mobile Communications, it's an Italian manufacturer, but it's not the one that makes the Onda Vi40! I'll be so glad if you can tell me!

Hi i have see in italy Onda Vi40 TABLET in this site www.zepad.it have good price
I hope i helpd you
Best regards

Scrubmuncher

May 6, 2012
Onda Android tablets are great tablets especially for those who buy Android tablets for the first time.

I dunno about that, I am a first time purchaser and I've been sitting looking at it doing nothing for 2 hours now trying to find out how I get started. Absolutely no instructions and no links is terrible for a first time, not so techy buyer. I've had it 2 hours and I'm already quite pi44ed I can't even get past this green android guy bobbing about, I can't seem to do anything including switching it off again.