Onda Vi4o Elite - Android System Recovery Utility

xerberus

Oct 25, 2012
Hello everyone,

My Vi40 tablet started acting up strangely. Turned it off last night to recharge, but when I tried to turn it on again it wont boot up...it got stuck on the opening sequence wherein the android bot is bobbing up and down on the onda logo. Frustrated I did a hardreset...pressing the tiny hole with the word "reset". Nothing happened. Still stuck with the opening sequence. I tried a couple of button combination and was lucky to get the back/home+menu+power combination that brought me to the system recovery utility of the device. I thought it'll solve the problem but it seems I can get the highlighter to move up and down. how do i select the other options? I want to select "wipe data/factory reset". Is there any other button combination to select the choices. The touch sensor seems to be disabled

Thanks!

BernardUK

Jul 19, 2013
Same thing has now happened with my Vi40 Elite, suddenly after a week or two of no usage.

I too fiddled about to get the "Android system recovery" menu only to find that none of its options does anything from the state that the tablet is now in.

So far, I have not found any other site/forum/source with advice on what to do. Nor have I found a download site from which to reinstall Android (assuming that's possible).

Grateful any ideas on how to recover this once quite useful tablet.

I'm beginning to think that the purchase of a cheaper tablet direct from China was not a good decision.

BernardUK

Jul 19, 2013
After forgetting about the problem for several weeks, I should now report that I found the solution for the problem with (at least) my Onda Vi40 Elite. The method was as follows:

Naming the three buttons on the face of the tablet: Home, Menu, Back, and the button on the side: Power...

Starting from power off, press Back and Power together until a small icon appears.
Release Power and a dead-Android icon appears on the screen.

Then press Home to give the Android System Recovery menu in small blue text:
- Reboot system now
- Apply update from ext
- Wipe / factory reset
- Wipe cache partition
- Apply update from cache

Press Menu or Back to move the highlight down or up the menu:
Highlight Wipe / factory reset.
Press Home to execute the reset, and (I think) Power to confirm Yes.

Of course you then have to reset all the configuration (especially Language!) and
re-download apps and/or copy stuff from microSD backup.

It's a few weeks since I succeeded in doing this, and so I'm describing this from
my scribbled notes. I hope it's a correct description of what actually worked because
I'm not choosing to repeat the process now that the tablet is working again.