Only thing left now is the battery issue

zsir

Sep 1, 2011
Since the last update provides netflix the only other issue I have is the battery.
Specifically the time it takes to charge the battery.

I get about 6 hrs from the battery during heavy use but using the factory charger it takes over 8hrs to fully charge. not very convient when on the go
Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
The Netflix update was great, and I hope the battery issues are resolved soon. But I would also like to be able to install apps to the external sd card rather than the internal memory.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Unless they're limiting the charge rate via an overly-conservative charge profile in firmware, I doubt you're going to see any change in this.

Here's the deal with rechargeable batteries, in a nutshell: You can charge them fast, limiting charge depth and battery life (in number of charge cycles), or you can charge them more conservatively, achieving both a deeper charge and longer battery life.

I have noticed the tablet doesn't get very warm while charging. It doesn't seem to get any warmer--maybe not even as warm, as it does when operating. That tells me Vizio has chosen a charge rate that will result in deeper charging and longer battery life. I think I prefer that. It jibes with their apparent philosophy on the operation of the tablet: A single-core CPU with less power, and less power drain, than other current offerings. That's why this tablet gets up to nine hours or better of operation, where others get only five or six.

Jim

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
That's been the least of my issues. While I do typically charge overnight I've been able to consistently get 10 to 12 hrs on a daily charge with fairly heavy usage and wifi on continously. Compared to my htc Thunderbolt phone that's a lifetime.

Until I can find a way to effectively move apps to the external sd card I'm essentially unable to install any additional apps.

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
No, unless I'm mistaken, that only seems to move apps to the internal sd. I've installed a 32gb micro sd that with the exception of some media I've moved there is essentially useless space.

zsir

Sep 1, 2011
That's been the least of my issues. While I do typically charge overnight I've been able to consistently get 10 to 12 hrs on a daily charge with fairly heavy usage and wifi on continously. Compared to my htc Thunderbolt phone that's a lifetime.

Here's the thing . charging over night (8hrs) doesn't result in a full charge. If I was getting 10-12 hrs on a full charge I wouldn't complain about the charging time either. just got the 20% battery remaining pop up after 5 hrs 23 min on the battery. try watching 30-45 minutes of you tube or netflix and see what that does to your 10-12 hr run time. I'll try without any you tube and report back.

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
As with any android device it all comes down to what apps are constantly running and what one is doing. I. E. You tube, web surfing, playing games. All these different variables will cause each device to have different time spans for battery life. There is no good way to determain who does or dose not have the best battery life.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Here's the thing . charging over night (8hrs) doesn't result in a full charge. If I was getting 10-12 hrs on a full charge ...
The claim is "up to 10 hours." Obvious that's depending upon use and usage.

just got the 20% battery remaining pop up after 5 hrs 23 min on the battery. try watching 30-45 minutes of you tube or netflix and see what that does to your 10-12 hr run time.
After doing the latest update the other night, before which my VTAB had been off the charger and I'd been web-browsing, FB'ing, using this site's app, etc. for... I dunno... two or three hours, I guess, I watched at least two episodes of News Radio, maybe three, then went back to more web-browsing, FB'ing and this site's app. I think I did some 'droid market perusing, too.

IIRC: Had plenty of charge left following that.

This is not something you want to do often, because the tablet may come up in an odd state after you do (it did for me), but have you ever run the thing all the way down? It's often necessary to do that with batteries, once or twice, for them to achieve full potential.

Jim

tennscott

Apr 14, 2012
I received my VTAB on 4-13-12, and installed a 32GB micro SD the next day. The first time I used it, required a reboot. Then I also discovered the card was not seated properly, so I removed it and the replaced it more diligently. Once the micro SD card was reinitialized I went to Settings>Storage> Default Storage Location. Changed that to MicroSD card. Then rebooted again. I then went to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and visually inspected the system settings for each of the applications. Under the section Storage, there are memory usage size descriptions for Total, Application, Dada, SD Card....and underneath that are two buttons: Clear Data and Move to SD Card (or alternatively Move to Tablet) that are lit up if available. I have found that some applications do not have the option to move to the micro SD card.

#Downlow says apps2SD works well, I agree I got that app as well. It provides an automated function that will let you know if the app in question is "moveable", some developers write their apps so they require that the app resides on the internal memory. Apparently the SD and micro SD route for storage are not universally accepted as standard memory expansion operations.

tennscott

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I charge mine on any Micro USB charger, like my phone charger. Should I just use my Vizio charger? Also, I have found that when you plug in the charger the Tablet will usually fire up. You must shut it down to get the full charge. Check your unit after you plug in the charger, if it comes on, shut it down.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I charge mine on any Micro USB charger, like my phone charger. Should I just use my Vizio charger? Also, I have found that when you plug in the charger the Tablet will usually fire up. You must shut it down to get the full charge. Check your unit after you plug in the charger, if it comes on, shut it down.

I do not know the output of your phone charger but the output of my Vizio charger is +5 at 2A and it does a better job charging some of my other devices than the charger that came with them because of it's 2A output.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I do not know the output of your phone charger but the output of my Vizio charger is +5 at 2A and it does a better job charging some of my other devices than the charger that came with them because of it's 2A output.

Well I'll be damn, that why it charges up the phone quicker. I've been using Moto charger.