Opened my M701-R - Pics

tbackus

Dec 24, 2010
Had a little oops with my tablet... While I am waiting for the new digitizer I decided to go ahead and open it. Took some pics and am posting them here. Unfortunately these are teh only 2 that turned out but you should be able to see just about everything except the screen which was just held down by for screws.

$DSCN0102.JPG$DSCN0108.JPG

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Lovely!

Those three cables over the speaker lead to the IR reciver for the remote?

Lila Boc

Dec 13, 2010
Hi, I am interested in looking at the innards of my M701. Can you tell how you open it? Thanks.

tbackus

Dec 24, 2010
Mine is the 2gb version with the SD card that sticks out. My soldering skills are no where close to being able to add a chip, or fix the SD card. :D

As for opening it....

You need to carefully wedge something really thin (thinner than credit card) straight down between the black of the front screen and the silver of the back case. The clips that hold it all together are actually on the screen piece.

I made my own tool. I had a hard plastic touchscreen stylus that I carved the end to look like a flat screwdriver. Wedge that straight down (DO NOT try and pry the screen off) and move it around til the first clip pops, then just run it around the whole perimiter and eventually it was off.

Hope that helps..

goldshirt9

Nov 4, 2010
could you repair the sd card slot connections ?
my daughter dropped her tablet on the sd card side and pushed the card in .
now it doesnt recognise the card at all :mad:

do you think i could prise up the connections or should i not bother .

tbackus

Dec 24, 2010
I guess it depends on how comfy you are with soldering surface mount stuff. I wouldn't attempt it, but then again I havn't soldered much of anything it 20 years or so.....

shabass

Dec 31, 2010
I've check your picture, and do you have 4 memory chips or 2? As I can see, you got samsung model K4T1G164QF, It's a 64mb model, so 2x = 128mb or ram memory. SAMSUNG's Digital World

I ask this because I buy a Haipad MID701, but I think it's a clone. In the Android it only see 128mb of ram. Meaby I will open mine to check...

That the one I buy :
http://www.************/item/WPAD-Tablet-PC-7-inch-TFT-Screen-Telechip-800MZH-Google-Android-2-2-4GB-HDMI-3G-FREE-LEATHER-CASE-116591/

When I buy it, the internal memomy was 2gb, they have update it to 4gb. Everything else is the same.

Bye!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Since I'm too chicken to open my tablet I'd like to thank you for letting me see inside yours. :)

I'm confused a bit by what's inside though, or I should say more confused by Samsung's data sheets (which I admit I don't really understand). So let me see if I got this:

1. K4T1G164QE-HCE7 = 1GB DDR2-800 SDRAM organized as 64Mx16. This is where I don't understand how the numbers work out. Samsung says this is a 1GB chip? And there are two of them in the tablet. Yet my tablet only reports 128 MB of RAM (which ticks me off because Haipad claims it has 256 MB). Nothing seems to add up to any kind of sense! Do I have 2 GB RAM and can only access 128 MB for some reason? Is tons of it shared with the GPU? Seems like I've either been shorted on memory or there's tons of it but I can't use it for some reason. Maybe someone with more hardware knowledge can help make sense of it please?

2. K9GAG08U0M-PCB0 = 16 GB Nand Flash, 1 chip installed (clearly space for two exists). I'm assuming that the OS is using all but the 2 GB of this available to me in /Nand storage on the device. So, in theory, if you soldered another one of these into the second space you'd gain 16 GB more storage on the device? Not that I plan to do that but it suggests these tablets could have much more impressive specs.

3. Bluetooth - I recently found reference in Telechips' documentation for the CPU that you need a "Bluetooth sub-board" to use that feature (which makes the Bluetooth capability of the CPU sound a lot less "built-in" if you ask me). The circuit board is clearly fenced off into sections. It also looks like there may be components soldered on the underside of the board. I wonder what those might be?

4. Next to Atheros chip - obviously the Atheros chip is the Wi-Fi Module (again, not sure how Telechips can say Wi-Fi is "built-in" to the CPU if you still need a Wi-Fi module to use it), but what is soldered next to it. You can see four solder points as if there is some component mounted on the other side of the board.

5. Power Contacts? - there are two contact points on the board that are right next to the positive and negative power leads. I wonder what those are for?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
could you repair the sd card slot connections ?
my daughter dropped her tablet on the sd card side and pushed the card in .
now it doesnt recognise the card at all :mad:

do you think i could prise up the connections or should i not bother .

If you're committed to opening it up you can probably "fix" the SD slot. Assuming the card is still stuck inside the tablet it probably got pushed in so far the contacts on the card are beyond the contacts in the slot. If you pull the card out, and make sure the slot doesn't allow cards to be put in too far (for example if it bent the metal at the back that is meant to stop the card, bend it back). It's also possible you could fish the card out with a really good tweezers without opening the tablet, but any new cards you put in might still be able to go in too far and end up past the reader contacts.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
OffWorld you need to take into account that chip manufacturers almost alsways use 'bite' values, not 'byte' values.
so 1 Gigabit equals 128 Megabyte (HERE is a usable converter)

Also i read somewhere that the current firmware releases have a problem and can only adress 128MB of the 256MB that are build in (that was on a shop page so the information is not realy reliable)

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@Loonix - damn, you're right. It DOES say 1 Gb and not 1 GB - sneaky bastards!

mELIANTE

Dec 1, 2010
OffWorld you need to take into account that chip manufacturers almost alsways use 'bite' values, not 'byte' values.
so 1 Gigabit equals 128 Megabyte (HERE is a usable converter)

Also i read somewhere that the current firmware releases have a problem and can only adress 128MB of the 256MB that are build in (that was on a shop page so the information is not realy reliable)

The 128MB of RAM being reported I think is because of RAM being shared with other hardware, like the GPU and WiFi controller, making the available RAM for OS less then the announced 256MB. I suppose this is correct because my android phone sports 512MB of RAM and system info apps only report ~400MB.

tbackus

Dec 24, 2010
OffWorld - I will probably look at the back of the boards when I get the new screen. If I do I will post more pics.