OS Updates and VPN

makemorebeer

Mar 26, 2013
I've been using my A2109 for about a month and a half now and have started to adapt it to my working life and style. I am an IT systems Administrator, and my driving factor behind getting a tablet was to make IOS and Android tablet functionality available to my end user community as we have recently rolled with a BYOD policy. I have run into a few problems i was hoping for help on though.

I'll start by saying I am an infrastructure and networking guy, not an applications designer.

for my purposes I've found many great tools, that i run from my Tablet and my Galaxy S3 phone. and they all seem to work the same on both of the devices, however the VPN functionality is a stumbling block that i can't seem to get around. I am trying to connect to a multitude of Cisco ASA devices, ranging in their software Versions. I keep running into the same problem though. DH Group number mismatch from the Tablet device only. the phone connects and functions perfectly over the VPN. the Tablet will connect but is unable to actually do anything, and when a network resource is accessed, it times out and breaks the connection (unclean break, tablets offline, but ASA keeps the SA in it's tables for a significant amount of time)

I've been reading around on this, and it sound as though Certain Android device manufacturers don't play so well with Cisco VPN's? is there any truth to that. Is there a way to get around this, that does not include Rooting the device? Should i decide i wanted to try rooting the Device (which i currently have no idea how to do or what it'll get me anyway) where can I find instructions on how to do this?

My other question is, in searching for support on the Lenovo site i found two downloads, are these items i should have loaded on my tablet or does Lenovo push these directly. My current Android OS version is 4.1.1, and I notice my phone is running 4.1.2 is there a way to update the tablet to catch up?

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I have tried to STFD, but did not come up with the answers I am looking for.

Thanks,
Beer

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
I've been using my A2109 for about a month and a half now and have started to adapt it to my working life and style. I am an IT systems Administrator, and my driving factor behind getting a tablet was to make IOS and Android tablet functionality available to my end user community as we have recently rolled with a BYOD policy. I have run into a few problems i was hoping for help on though.

I'll start by saying I am an infrastructure and networking guy, not an applications designer.

for my purposes I've found many great tools, that i run from my Tablet and my Galaxy S3 phone. and they all seem to work the same on both of the devices, however the VPN functionality is a stumbling block that i can't seem to get around. I am trying to connect to a multitude of Cisco ASA devices, ranging in their software Versions. I keep running into the same problem though. DH Group number mismatch from the Tablet device only. the phone connects and functions perfectly over the VPN. the Tablet will connect but is unable to actually do anything, and when a network resource is accessed, it times out and breaks the connection (unclean break, tablets offline, but ASA keeps the SA in it's tables for a significant amount of time)

I've been reading around on this, and it sound as though Certain Android device manufacturers don't play so well with Cisco VPN's? is there any truth to that. Is there a way to get around this, that does not include Rooting the device? Should i decide i wanted to try rooting the Device (which i currently have no idea how to do or what it'll get me anyway) where can I find instructions on how to do this?

My other question is, in searching for support on the Lenovo site i found two downloads, are these items i should have loaded on my tablet or does Lenovo push these directly. My current Android OS version is 4.1.1, and I notice my phone is running 4.1.2 is there a way to update the tablet to catch up?

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I have tried to STFD, but did not come up with the answers I am looking for.

Thanks,
Beer

Well I may have good news for you, hopefully I can also address your questions to.
First as far ax the VPN stuff goes, I have no firsthand experience with certain manufacturer compatibility. Now as a software guy I would think its highly unlikely that if that were the case it was hardware related. If I were you, go to play store and download "pimp my ROM" if you can look past the name I this a wonderful tool from a well respected developer. It has an option under the apps/mods to install open VPN support. I have not tried this because I don't use one. All the other stuff he has in that app works wonderfully across 7 android devices I've put it on.

Now you may need root access for that portion of the app to work, if so and you are strictly against it, I am out of ideas. But for instructions you are definitely in the right place, just hop over to development forum or search. Rooting a device simply gives you access to run commands with administrator permissions. Society for the mist part needs fisher price electronics so it is what it is. Now the benefit to root access is you can run certain apps that are IMHO must haves like titanium backup. You can also install custom Roms, that is what will solve your problem if its due to lenovo software (which wouldn't shock me one bit) Roms are either created ported versions of the android os, sometimes they also include a kernel.

Rooting process itself varies by device. For some it can be as simple as plugging in the USB cord and clicking "go" others may require a few steps. The fact I can really recall how to root this tablet is a good sign, means it didn't give me fits :) overall as an IT guy with functional PC knowledge and the ability to follow numbered instructions id say it would be maybe a 20-30 minute ordeal first time. After that it gets easier.

Good luck my friend. Hopefully the open VPN thing will just work.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

ardentblue

Mar 20, 2013
Cisco has a number of AnyConnect versions, Samsung is one make that is supported, as is Lenovo.

enord1321

Nov 23, 2010
I have not had very much experience with VPN on our tablet, but I rooted mind last night. It took me under an hour to do,from the instructions here in the development forum, once I had all the right files downloaded. I did have to manually add the flashboot driver for Windows 7 but other then that every thing worked great. I unlocked the bootloader, rooted my device, and installed a custom rom.

makemorebeer

Mar 26, 2013
Cisco has a number of AnyConnect versions, Samsung is one make that is supported, as is Lenovo.

We currently run IPSEC using a third party client. Cisco requires special licensing for AnyConnect in which the ASA (at least the ones we have) only come stock with two concurrent users). I did try the anyconnect client but it does not have the specific options I need to connect to my VPN, or course depending on how things work out the additional licensing might be needed. Currently we don't have Anyconnect setup on our devices anyway.

Stal2K, thanks for the advice and guidance. I tried pimp my ROM, but wasn't able to load the open VPN stuff. probably needs to be rooted i guess. Fine and dandy for me, and i'll probably do it when i find the time too, but from a general user perspective it's not a valid option. I don't really want to be responsible for rooting personally owned devices as a corporate solution.

The one question I still have though is how destructive is rooting. am I looking at a full rebuild on my tablet, or does it leave my current device intact.

This has already been very informative.

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
Stal2K, thanks for the advice and guidance. I tried pimp my ROM, but wasn't able to load the open VPN stuff. probably needs to be rooted i guess. Fine and dandy for me, and i'll probably do it when i find the time too, but from a general user perspective it's not a valid option. I don't really want to be responsible for rooting personally owned devices as a corporate solution.

The one question I still have though is how destructive is rooting. am I looking at a full rebuild on my tablet, or does it leave my current device intact.

I can't really offer any advice about VPN, but I can answer your questions about rooting.

First the guides:
Unlocking the bootloader: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...52434-howto-unlocking-bootloader-windows.html
Rooting: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...8-how-install-clockworkmod-recovery-root.html

Unlocking the bootloader will factory reset / wipe the device.
If that's a problem, you can try backing up using adb: [GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers then restoring after unlocking.

Rooting itself doesn't require wiping, but you need the bootloader unlocked in order to do it.

makemorebeer

Mar 26, 2013
Unlocked Boot Loader - Check
Rooted - Check, i think
OpenVPN support installed - Check

now what do i do with it. Does anyone have any experience using or configuring OpenVPN? why can't I find it after installing the support for it. do I need to download the app itself? Is there anyone who uses the A2109 over a VPN?

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
We currently run IPSEC using a third party client. Cisco requires special licensing for AnyConnect in which the ASA (at least the ones we have) only come stock with two concurrent users). I did try the anyconnect client but it does not have the specific options I need to connect to my VPN, or course depending on how things work out the additional licensing might be needed. Currently we don't have Anyconnect setup on our devices anyway.

Sorry bout late response, yea MCL put that better then I could though. Actually its kind of ironic the best backup tool requires root access. It may not be a viable corp solutions but you might benefit from it. Titanium backup is what I'm referring too. I don't know how many end users you have. But if its not many you might actually save yourself a ton of time by rooting their tablets, tools like remote adb and remote log cat I believe require root. Adb is great for troubleshooting, its command line access and more. If your guys tend to mess their stuff up a lot it could be worth it in long run. Gathering the software takes longer then the actual process I think :/

Edit: oh ya and avast software with root access allows you to have a firewall, anti theft capabilities and remote wipe. Not trying to talk you into it or anything just letting you know what the benefits are, its not just to flash ROMs and play games or anything.

Sent from my a2109a using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: