Overclock your Gtab!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yeppers. There are also some of the ROMs that are going to be coming that already have this baked in.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Depending on what you are doing yes if us very noticeable

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Guys, gotta (dumb) question: is this for any ROM, or only those that install through CWM? I'm tempted to try it with TnTLite, but since I don't have CWM, I can't back up first!

-Matt

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
do i have to use adb to get this working? ive been holding off intsalling adb cause it looks like a pain, now i know its a pain. i flashed it and dl'd setcpu but its only showing it go to 1000

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm assuming CWM is the preferred route, but I can help you through ADB if you like. Once you have USBDeview, you've conquered the hard part! Oh, I also think a rooted gTab can do it with Android Terminal Emulator.

-Matt

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
never mind i got it. i didnt read it all, i needed to set it to custom for it to work. for some reason i was under the impression that you had to do adb to do it. i might take you up on that adb offer, but maybe another day. thanks

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
mydave will tell you it's a necessary step for manhood. ;) How do you like the kernel, btw? Quadrant score?

-Matt

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
Kernel is great. Fast and it seems like i can type faster with it. Quadrant scores are round 2900-3200. Mandro bench which tests dual core gives me 3500. Not as much as some but a definite increase.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
FINALLY, OVERCLOCKING....flashing this now!!!! Does anyone notice any major battery life decrease? Either way, it will be worth it but would be nice to know. Since my quadrant scores on Vegan 5.1.1 are 3200 without overclocking, I can't wait to see the new score!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, gimme that Quadrant score. Now. ;)

You know, I rebuilt my gTab (ROM-wise) from scratch yesterday. nvflashed all the way back to the beginning...took a short detour and checked out 4349 for a bit...then backed out and finished with TnT 4.4.0. I'm mad that I didn't pause along the way and try the new kernel. *argh*

-Matt

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Lol, I am now hesitant to flash the new kernel because of my experiences with other devices. I shouldn't have even given it any thought because I just don't want the Gtab to start dying in a few hours because it has been bumped up to 1.4ghz. It is interesting that you mentioned 4349....how was it? For some odd reason, I have been thinking of trying it but saw you went back to TNT 4.4.0.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Jeff, I only played with 4349 for a few minutes, but all in all I noted one difference from 3588: a lock screen. ;) Now maybe I'm confused--having been on TnTLite for a while, but I thought 3588 didn't have one. Anyway, the point is I really didn't spot any other important changes (I'm forgetting the changelog details from VS, but none of them jump out at me). For the average user, it probably looks and feels like stock 3588.

Now I want to earn my namesake, and rant for a second (probably ignorantly). I'm on the Mountain Laurel thread at slatedroid, and I'm starting to get a little tired with the lovefest going on over there. If I see one more "OH roebeet you are the coolest dev in the world!!!!" post I'm gonna lose it. Are they all 14-year-old girls??? ;) What's worrying me is that I think expectations are getting crazy for ML (previously TwoTapsX and TnTLite 5.x). If roebeet stays true to form and keeps himself close to stock (like TnTLite 4.4.0)...OK, forgive me but I think I need to yell here...THEN IT'S GOING TO LOOK AND FEEL JUST LIKE 4349!!!!!!! *argh* That's fine with me...but I wonder how the 14-year-old girls will deal with it. I don't think I need all this drama. :)

Anyway, I went back to TnT since 4349 isn't rooted. Oh, just wondering: why not install the new kernel and use SetCPU (or another free app) to regulate the speed? I only ask cuz I want you to try and report back!

-Matt

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know exactly why but I just have this gut feeling that I will flash this and will then end up having to NVflash back to the beginning to fix it. I haven't seen anyone get stuck like that with this kernel yet but.....you know the feeling:(

Maybe it is because my phone kept bootlooping after flashing another nightlies build and have spent the past few hours restoring. (must have also had a bad backup)

Last edited: