Overdrive Media Center Question

rjh1968

Oct 31, 2011
Hi Has anyone gotten Overdrive Media Center to work on the VTAB? I want to check out ebooks from my local library which supports overdrive. I can check out and download the books, but when I open the book, the pages are wider than the screen even at the smallest font size. I can not find any other adjustments.

Thanks

Ray

Nemo

Nov 1, 2011
Install the "Spare Parts" app from the Android Market. After installing the app,
follow the steps below to enable the 'compatibility mode'option.
1. Open the Spare Parts app and uncheck the 'Compatibility Mode' option.
2. Completely turn off and restart your VTAB.
3. Open the Spare Parts app again and place a checkmark in the 'Compatibility Mode' option.
4. Completely turn off and restart your VTAB.
5. Launch the OverDrive app, eBook titles should now display properly.

rjh1968

Oct 31, 2011
Nemo - It is not clear what the spare parts did, but it does fix the problem.

Thanks

Ray

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
When I open the Overdrive app, it only shows the welcome video. I have to go to the digital library online to actually put books on hold. This never used to be a problem. Is that app just for formatting the text to fit?
Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

rjh1968

Oct 31, 2011
The overdrive manual such as it is, is the only preloaded book. If you bring up the menu and select get books, you can add as many libraries to that page as you want. Once you have added a library, you can then open that library to go to the web site and check out (for a publick library) or download books (from one of the free book sites). I have never bought an ebook, but I assume that you have to go through the purchase steps before you can down load those books.

Ray

rjh1968

Oct 31, 2011
I don't know where Nemo got the info, but I posted the question here and also to the support at my local library since Overdrive does not take support questions, but refers you to your local library. The local support forwarded my question to Overdrive. By that time Nemo had posted the fix here. I forwarded the fix to the local support, and when he passed it on to Overdrive, he told me that they were aware of the problem and fix. It would have been nice if they had posted the fix in the FAQ section.

Like a lot of software fixes, it seems like a swing a dead cat three times and light a candle kind of fix. As you can see here it has worked for several of us. My guess is that turning that setting off and then on clears or sets some variable that you can not get todirectly.

It certainly help me since the other readers I tried would not talk to my local library, so loading ebooks into them took several extra steps. With Overdrive, I can log in, search for books, request books, check them out and download all from the Get Books page. I also added a couple of other web sites where I can download free books.

Ray

carli56

Nov 29, 2011
Overdrive works good for me. I registered with Adobe to download Adobe format books. I added the reg code to Overdrive and went to the Phoenix library to download. Use the 'Open' option when you download to save the book in the Overdrive 'bookshelf'. The only problem I have is finishing the book in 2 weeks before Overdrive removes it form my Vtab.

sureshot8

Nov 29, 2011
I got overdrive to work but then Wattpad and a few other programs didn't work properly. They like reduce the size of the page for those other programs. Did anyone else experience this problem?

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
Nemo, thanks. Your instructions worked like a charm.

But I'm having trouble like sureshot. Small iphone size screens on several apps including maildroid. I deleted spareparts, but that didn't fix it. Ideas??????

MCED

Apr 6, 2012
Has anyone had this problem? I have Overdrive installed on my Samsung Galaxy, but when I transfer the audio book from my computer to my phone, it doesn't put the book in the Overdrive library. ??? How do I get that to work?