Pandigital Supernova tablet USB file transfer problem

trafaelwyr

Jan 3, 2012
Hello! I am new to the forum and found this site while seeking out an answer to a problem that I am currently having with my Pandigital Supernova tablet. Here's what I'm working with and then I'll try to explain my problem:

Tablet: Pandigital Supernova 8"
Origin: from QVC (got it as a Christmas present)
Android version: 2.3
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
Firmware version: IR80_S_AZ_W_A_A_11172011

The problem:
The other day I had the tablet hooked up to the USB port on a Dell Dimension 541 and was connected to the net by wi-fi. I received a request to update the firmware, which I did. While still connected to the computer, and after the firmware had done its thing, I was able to transfer files, apps, etc from the computer to the tablet.

Yesterday morning when I hooked the tablet up to the computer to transfer files, I found that despite the computer recognizing the two drives associated with the tablet, I couldn't see the folders that were on them. So, let me give you a step by step of what I'm doing to illustrate the problem - it might be a bit wordy, but I want everyone to know what I'm doing so that someone might have an idea of what needs to be done (and I'm doing all this while listing the steps):

01. hooked USB cable into USB port
02. turned on tablet
03. unlocked tablet
04. hooked USB cable to tablet - at which point I hear the chime on the computer that I have hooked up an external device to the computer
05. tablet screen shows the Android mascot showing that USB connected and I have the "turn on USB storage" button at the bottom
06. I've tapped on the "turn on USB storage" button and the circle animation just keeps circling and I've gone to "my computer" on the Dell computer and see the two drives listed with the tablet (but when I double click on them, I can't access them).

Another thing I have noticed is that in the 'SD card & device storage settings', I can only unmount the SD card, whereas before the update it gave me the choice to mount and unmount the card. Even when I tap on 'unmount card', it just displays "unmounting in progress" but never indicates that it has finished doing so.

I really love this tablet, but I'm a bit frustrated with the current situation. Did the firmware update mess up something on the tablet? Is there anyway to reset the tablet back to factory settings like you can do with an iPod? I have emailed Pandigital's support and have yet to hear from them (granted I just emailed them yesterday). Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Christian

Last edited:

pauljulian

Aug 4, 2011
I don't have an answer, and for that I'm sorry, but I'd also like to add a question. I'm running terminander's 2.1 flash (over on Slatedroid), but from the 1.5 up, it does not seem to be possible to use an external keyboard or mouse through a mini-USB adapter, and I find that strange... had 2 other cheapos, an Archos 5 and a Sylvania Tab (would love an iPad, or even a replacement for my paperweight... err.. iPod Touch, but the bucks just ain't there) Both of these devices did fine, and were pretty cool to sit out in the living room and have a 7-inch laptop replacement to surf the web and actually communicate... I truly despise the software keys, no matter what device... I have huge fingers.

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Assumed you have rebooted both devices and reset the tablet. Have you tried another cable? You might inspect both usb ports and see if something might have gotten broken. Plug in and unplug the cable a couple three times (connectors can get dirty/corroded).

There are some quirks in the units - I know on the novel you can transfer files to the tablet and that they will not show up on the tablet explorer until you reboot.

msd525

Jan 15, 2012
Christian, I am having the exact same problem. If you get a solution, let me know.

Thanks
Deborah

msd525

Jan 15, 2012
I had the same problem. First I saved everything to the SD card. Then, I reset the tablet to factory settings like I bought it. After that I reinstalled everything. I did not download any firmware after that. So far I have not had a problem. Hope that helps.

Hello! I am new to the forum and found this site while seeking out an answer to a problem that I am currently having with my Pandigital Supernova tablet. Here's what I'm working with and then I'll try to explain my problem:

Origin: from QVC (got it as a Christmas present)

The problem:
The other day I had the tablet hooked up to the USB port on a Dell Dimension 541 and was connected to the net by wi-fi. I received a request to update the firmware, which I did. While still connected to the computer, and after the firmware had done its thing, I was able to transfer files, apps, etc from the computer to the tablet.

Yesterday morning when I hooked the tablet up to the computer to transfer files, I found that despite the computer recognizing the two drives associated with the tablet, I couldn't see the folders that were on them. So, let me give you a step by step of what I'm doing to illustrate the problem - it might be a bit wordy, but I want everyone to know what I'm doing so that someone might have an idea of what needs to be done (and I'm doing all this while listing the steps):

01. hooked USB cable into USB port
02. turned on tablet
03. unlocked tablet
04. hooked USB cable to tablet - at which point I hear the chime on the computer that I have hooked up an external device to the computer
05. tablet screen shows the Android mascot showing that USB connected and I have the "turn on USB storage" button at the bottom
06. I've tapped on the "turn on USB storage" button and the circle animation just keeps circling and I've gone to "my computer" on the Dell computer and see the two drives listed with the tablet (but when I double click on them, I can't access them).

Another thing I have noticed is that in the 'SD card & device storage settings', I can only unmount the SD card, whereas before the update it gave me the choice to mount and unmount the card. Even when I tap on 'unmount card', it just displays "unmounting in progress" but never indicates that it has finished doing so.

I really love this tablet, but I'm a bit frustrated with the current situation. Did the firmware update mess up something on the tablet? Is there anyway to reset the tablet back to factory settings like you can do with an iPod? I have emailed Pandigital's support and have yet to hear from them (granted I just emailed them yesterday). Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Christian

Samsonplus

Jan 25, 2012

The problem:

Yesterday morning when I hooked the tablet up to the computer to transfer files, I found that despite the computer recognizing the two drives associated with the tablet, I couldn't see the folders that were on them.

I am also having the same problem.

kafe528

Aug 17, 2012
I have the same problem as Christian. Is there any solution less radical than resetting everything?