Pendo Pad Android 2.1 help ! :D

rodgekins

Mar 20, 2011
Hi, i just bought a pendo pad.
Its relatively new, runs a rockchip, eclair etc etc, pretty decent.

7 inches.

the thing is

... i cannot disable the dialer ! or cell standby. I tried everything i could without rooting (Dont know how, and i dont think there is a method for Pendo pad yet). Airplane mode etc etc. I downloaded Android system info app, which CAN disable it, but one second later it just pops back up. cannot disable it perm.

Network locator as well. omg these things are eating up my battery, cell standby takes like 80-87% of battery usage ! My pad lasts about 11-13 hours on standby (screenlock) im sure it could last MUCH longer WITHOUT the bloody dialer or cell standby or whatever.

It runs android 2.1
the specs can be found here:
Wireless Alarm & Phone | Wireless Security System | Wireless Alarm Kits by Pendo

lol. its so annoying it makes me lol.
i really hate cell standby. :D
pendo pad is a tablet, its not a phone, there SHOULD BE A WAY TO DISABLE IT >:D

I couldnt find any information on how to disable it... hmm...

does anyone know how ? (even better if it involves root, i'd love to learn how ! but im not so sure about 2.1)

rodgekins

Mar 20, 2011

Doesnt work, thanks anyway.

OK. I have managed to find something that could root it.

So yes, i have root access to my pendo pad !

Now... that opens up a lot more possibilities, but i still dont know how to runs scripts or use terminal emulators or anything.. does anyone now know how to disable all phone functions for android 2.1 ? (Rooted) pendo pad.

EDIT:

OK. im at the final step before being able to remove the damn 'telephonyprovider.apk' which is where all this phone related unnecessary battery draining stuff is/

the problem is... i cant seem to mount as read/write.

im using Root explorer, but i cant mount for some reason, i tap it but it doesnt work. I can view all the system files etc, and i use RootCheck, which confirms that i have root access. but i cant mount ! GAHH ths so frustrating, last step. i just need to rename or delete the thing omg !!!!

I tried another app which remounts to read write, and all my other directories are now r/w, but the system dir is not !! lol ?

is there a separate way to mount as read/write so i can edit the damn thing !!! LOL

thanks a bunch.. :D

Last edited:

Souluna

Mar 24, 2011
Hey mate,

Nothing too constructive here but ive got the same issue. Was wondering if you could share how you got your pendo rooted?

Will give it a whirl if i can root my pad..

Thanks mate

rodgekins

Mar 20, 2011
I downloaded an app from market called "zroot" or something.

it is able to root any device within a certain os range.

i was able to temporarily root mine (until next reboot). but was unable to perm root.

confirmation of root through another program called rootcheck i think.

:)

once rooted, i could do a few root only things, but still cant figure out how to disable the damn cell standby.

give it a whirl and post back here any results if you get any :) sorry for late reply, i forgot abt this for a while (and you probly might too hahahha)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Turning on wifi with airplane mode enabled works.

You can't permaroot a RK2818 without reflashing the firmware and having someone pre-root the firmware for you.

G

geoRG77

OK. im at the final step before being able to remove the damn 'telephonyprovider.apk' which is where all this phone related unnecessary battery draining stuff is/
telephonyprovider.apk isn't draining your battery so much, Android system just doesn't know there is no GSM unit, therefore it is reporting cell standby as main battery consumer. Moreover, if you remove telephonyprovider.apk from ROM (file system is cramfs, that's why you can't delete it from unit anyhow) Wi-Fi settings stops working (tested by myself on another RK2818 tablet).