PIPO U1 Tablet Frame/Case Design Problem

geofferyh

Jan 4, 2011
First let me say, the PIPO U1 is in my opinion the best 7" tablet on the market. However, I have now identified a design problem (at least in mine) in the PIPO U1 that I think might become a major problem for many buyers.

It is possible for the complete tablet assembly itself to work itself free of its aluminum case because the small raised plastic "nubs" molded into the edges of the plastic tablet assembly frame are not "high" enough to securely keep the tablet assembly anchored within its aluminum case. The initial evidence of this problem will be noticed by lightly squeezing the edges of the tablet and noting movement between the aluminum back case and the tablets front screen. Also, you may find that the "Power", "Volume" and "Home" buttons have been recessed into the case or have disappeared into the case altogether.

The local (Owner) fix for the problem is to carefully separate the tablet assembly from the aluminum case, beginning with the "Speaker" end and moving around and down towards the opposite side. Locate the plastic switch activation button assembly (Power, Volume, Home) and position it back in the edge of the aluminum case. Be sure it is put back correctly. Apply a small amount of silicon RTV adhesive to each end of the button switch assembly to hold it in place. Allow RTV time to cure.

Apply a small amount of silicon RTV to each of the raised "nubs" of the plastic edge of the "Speaker" side of the tablet assembly. Carefully place the tablet assembly switch side edge back into the switch assembly side of the aluminum case first; and then gently snap the tablet assembly back into the aluminum case. Clean off any RTV showing and allow time to cure.

I think it is a real shame that such a great tablet should suffer from such an obvious flaw in its design.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
It also may have another where the cover allows the boards to flex when gripped on the headphone edge and the tablet may freeze. Mine did that and I managed to convince the seller to take it back for a refund. This tablet is very promising, but I think it needs a little more quality control and better case design. I'd rather have the case glued together if it will prevent the freezing issue or the case back popping off, there is nothing in their for uses to mess with except the battery. A case that allows the battery to be changed through a door with screws would be preferred.