Playing VOBs, MKVs and MPGs?

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Since our tablets dont support vob, mkv, and mpg formats, I was wondering if anyone had some tricks to playing these formats.

I have tried Moboplayer, ArcMedia, Rockplayer, and finally payed for Buzzplayer.

ArcMedia plays nothing at all... keeps returning me to the home screen of the tablet.

Moboplayer plays vob well, but you cant skip forward/backwards. I havent tried mpg, but mkvs have serious audio and video syncing problems.

Rockplayer didnt seem to work with me well at all. I dont remember the details.

Buzzplayer plays vobs well and allowing skipping around, but mpg and mkv files have audio/video syncing problems.

Most of my videos are in either mkv or vob format. Mostly, I like to copy the video_ts folder from dvds to my external hdd. It prevents me from having to waste time with conversions.

Does anyone have any other player recommendations or any other ways to play these formats? (like maybe something not in the Market?) Or maybe have a hack or something?

(Acer already told me that they have no plans to support additional video formats... which sucks horribly).

Last edited:

wosto

May 18, 2011
I have a lot of MKV files and tried most of the apps you mentioned with the same results. I ended up going with the VPlayer app which plays my MKV's although not as smoothly as I had hoped. I'm running mine right off the main memory, so I'm not sure how it would perform if the video files were on the external SD or a usb drive.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
MKV isn't a standard- it's a "container" that wraps around the video file.
So while one mkv will play, another won't because it's based on completely different video codec properties. When comparing mkv's you need to compare the same exact file- you know apples and oranges...:D

Most of my mkv's are based on h.264 and either start and crash or don't start at all or just give me audio, or some even have video but no audio on the A500.

Most .avi files seem to play properly, sometimes a minor hiccup.

Overall, kind of disappointed in the A500's playback capabilities in terms of file format support.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I wonder how hard it would be for Acer to update the tablet with more video codec support. I mean, it must be a tablet issue and not Honeycomb because I heard that the Xoom supports many more video types.

I was using an Archos 101 (Android 2.2) before this tablet. Although the tablet itself wasnt very stable, it played just about any video type under the sun... NATIVELY, including MKV, VOB, FLV, MPG, AVI, MP4... the list goes on!
So why can't Acer add similar playback support? It would just be nice to be able to play VOB and MKV files without 3rd party players (even though with these players, it seems that none of us are having great results with MKVs yet).

Last edited:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I just tried VitalPlayer (free) and I was quite impressed! VOB files seem to run smoothly (but they do with BuzzPlayer too, which is my current choice), and MKVs seem to run well, except for a stutter that repeats every few seconds. If the stutter is corrected though, I would definitely say that this could be THE videoplayer for our tablet!

Seriously, keep an eye on this one!

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
if you are interested, you may consider using a video tool, Foxreal video converter is recommended, it supports a wide range of video formats, such asTiVo, MXF, MKV, MTS, M2TS, TS, MOD, TOD, FLV, F4V, AVI, WMA, QuickTime MOV, VOB, MP4, MPG, MPEG, SWF, ASF, MVI, VP6, EVO, VRO, DV, MP3, AC3, MKA, WMA, WAV, M4A, OGG, APE and more.

As far as i know, h.264 mp4 is more friendly with media players, you can convert your videos to this format

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Freemaker Video Converter is free and converts pretty much anything into a number of formats.
I convert into android and have not had any that would not play.
I also have Act 1 video player because some other video players had the sound out of sinc.