Please help a newb with SVP TPC 0902 firmware/rom SD restore

itsallpoo

Nov 11, 2013
I have a cheapie Chinese SVP TPC 0902 9" tablet that is apparently stuck in a boot loop. I have looked everywhere for the key combo to force factory restart but nothing is working.

I am guessing this one probably needs to reload from an SD card. I have read a lot of comments in the Sylvania forum that lead me to believe the hardware may be firmware compatible (or that Sylvania buys their hardware from SVP, etc.). This tablet is android 4 I really don't want to downgrade the OS if I can help it. It would be nice to go up to 4.1 if that's at all possible. This tablet has a 1 ghz cpu, 512k ram, 4 gig storage and a transflash slot. On the top there is a volume up/down and back button and on the side is the power button the sd slot, earphone plug and a round plug for an AC adapter (but it also charges through the SD). There is a reset pinhole on the back but reset is not fixing it, the boot loop continues but I have once or twice gotten a battery picture with a big triangle with a ! in the middle of it, I'm thinking that might be recovery mode but nothing I'm doing gets me the android guy with his hood open or any menu options. I popped the back off last night but as with most of these tablets the battery is hard wired, I do have some basic soldering skills to where I don't think I'd cook the board if I un-soldered it but I'd have to dig around my house and find my iron and solder wick etc and I'm too lazy to do that, lol. I don't suppose letting the battery go stone cold dead might do the same as pulling it? I suspect there is flash memory that holds the problem even if the battery is completely dead.

I sent SVP an email, they haven't answered in several days and I'm not hopeful that they will answer based on at least one other comment I've read about them. So can somebody please help this newbie find a sylvania firmware/rom that might work with this tablet? For a seventy dollar tablet it's not worth repair costs in a shop. The ebay people I bought it from offered to take it for repair, I told them all I needed was a factory reset procedure. Haven't heard from them yet and not sure I will or they'll want money for it, if it's it over ten bucks it's just not worth paying that. I have a new tablet coming but won't have it for a month and I'd like to get this one running and pass it on, I hate throwing out something that someone else would be able to use.

I guess if all else fails I can put it on ebay for 25.00 as a boot looped device so some more talented guru could take it on. Still would rather pass it on, I have a friend that works on motorcycles and has all his tech manuals in PDF it would give him an easier way to look at his manuals than a full sized laptop. Any help would be very much appreciated. I was kinda hoping to find an unbrick device like somebody used to make for the sony psp and I think Samsung might be making one for some of the newer phones but I guess nobody's done that yet or there is too much variation in hardware and OS implementations to do that easily.

itsallpoo

Nov 11, 2013
I finally fixed it but I couldn't do it from windows 7 or 8 because the only driver I found was 32 bit so I loaded up the driver on my old xp netbook (good to keep some antiques around for these eventualities I suppose) and then found Android Multitools and driver installer. A little fooling around and a reboot and the netbook could now see the tablet when connected by usb cable. Run the program, see if can talk to the tablet which it did, hit the wipe option. Voila living tablet again something apparently caught in a loop and not the tablet itself. Why do I think the people that sold it to me would have done the same thing and charged me fourty bucks to do it. Next problem was it came up in chinese but I found a youtube video the guy showing you where the settings are in this android and I got it back to english. Sure it was a cheap old tablet but I learned something and now I can pass this on to someone that doesn't have one. I guess the moral is keep on checking you just might find it even if you didn't the first try.