Point of MicroSD Card?

kes601

May 23, 2011
So, what is the point of the MicroSD card slot? I added an 8gb card, with plans to store some of my tunes on it. I created a Music folder on it and copied a folder of mp3s into that folder. None of the music apps see the the songs I copied in there. I can navigate to the folder via the Honeycomb File Manager HD App and play the songs that way.....

Any ideas?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I think you need to wait for an update in June for this functionality. In the meantime, get one of those tiny card readers (see below at blue led) and put your card it in and put that in the USB port. The new Google Music beta reads it just fine.

IMG_2149.jpg

Last edited:

kes601

May 23, 2011
Thanks, that seems to work with te Amazon Cloud Player as well. Hopefully you are correct and the June update will fix this. Makes the slot somewhat useless in my opinion.

Just picked up the a500 yesterday and so far I like it. I also have an iPad2, but wanted to give the Android OS a look (evaluating things for work).

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Thanks, that seems to work with te Amazon Cloud Player as well. Hopefully you are correct and the June update will fix this. Makes the slot somewhat useless in my opinion.

Just picked up the a500 yesterday and so far I like it. I also have an iPad2, but wanted to give the Android OS a look (evaluating things for work).

Same here. I have both the iPad 2 and the a500. I've been playing through all these issues too. I don't think they can expect using the external microSD card to not be simple to do. I forgot to try the Amazon Cloud player (but I do on my phone). I would expect that to work well.

On Ipad 2, you have Netflix, HBO Go, and the ABC Player and probably some others. Seems as if Android will be catching up for a while. The screen on the Acer is a strong point for web surfing and PDF reading.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I have a 16GB micro SD card full of music and Winamp and the Google Music app see all the files just fine...however, they don't all appear instantly. I opened google music and switched to album view and you could watch them being added over the space of 4 or 5 minutes...

kes601

May 23, 2011
Well, I finally got it working, of course after I ordered a microsd USB adapter. I have to reboot the tablet every time I add a song to it, but at least it works.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

khaiqha

May 16, 2011
Weird, I've only ever had music on my external since day one and all the default music apps played them just fine.

WTC

May 24, 2011
The clear.fi built-in app from Acer is able to locate the micro SD card.

For example, if you put music files in the "Music" directory of the micro SD card, the clear.fi app would allow you to navigate to the /mnt/external_sd/Music/ directory.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Unlike a smart phone, where movies are simply a gimmick, you can actually watch movies on your Tablet, and have it be enjoyable.
Maybe for the kids in the back seat during a long drive, or on an airplane, or train commute.

That's when you need a MicroSD card. Even if several movies would fit in internal storage that's just a pointless waste of ram.

There must be something in the settings messed up on your Tablet if it does not find media you dragged to the MicroSD card. Mine fines these instantly. I usually put stuff there with ES File Manager (free from market), by dragging it directly from my computers over wifi.

How did you get the stuff on the card? Via Wifi, wire, or remove and do it on your computer?

Do you run a task manager that might be preventing your media from being scanned by killing the tasks that to this?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well, I finally got it working, of course after I ordered a microsd USB adapter. I have to reboot the tablet every time I add a song to it, but at least it works.

So what are you using the MicroSD USB adapter for?
Just do it all over wifi, and never take the MicroSD card out of the Acer.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure they all come formatted FAT32. I've purchased 6, from 3 manufacturers, and they were all pre-formatted Fat32.

kes601

May 23, 2011
So what are you using the MicroSD USB adapter for?
Just do it all over wifi, and never take the MicroSD card out of the Acer.

Tried WiFi, still have to reboot to get music to show up in any player.

kes601

May 23, 2011
Unlike a smart phone, where movies are simply a gimmick, you can actually watch movies on your Tablet, and have it be enjoyable.
Maybe for the kids in the back seat during a long drive, or on an airplane, or train commute.

That's when you need a MicroSD card. Even if several movies would fit in internal storage that's just a pointless waste of ram.

There must be something in the settings messed up on your Tablet if it does not find media you dragged to the MicroSD card. Mine fines these instantly. I usually put stuff there with ES File Manager (free from market), by dragging it directly from my computers over wifi.

How did you get the stuff on the card? Via Wifi, wire, or remove and do it on your computer?

Do you run a task manager that might be preventing your media from being scanned by killing the tasks that to this?

I know the point of the card, my point was my media was never bring recognized by the media players (until I reboot)

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Tried WiFi, still have to reboot to get music to show up in any player.

I guess I'm the only one feeling the tiny USB adapter. I just remove it, load more music, then put it back in the slot. Same for movies, too. I use Wifi as well, but depending on what I'm doing it is quicker to use the tiny $9 usb thingie.