Poll: Are You Guilty of Toilet Texting? New Study Says You Probably Are...

Do you sometimes, frequently, or never use your mobile device while on the toilet?

• I sometimes use my smartphone or mobile device while going potty.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I frequently share convos and do online browsing/shopping while sitting on the throne.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Ewww.... That is gross. I would never use my stuff while doing my stuff.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I am embarrased by this question and decline to answer citing my fifth ammendment rights.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
toddler-texting-on-potty.jpg

Have we become so attached to our smartphones that we must use them even while on the toilet? A new study by marketing research firm, 11mark, says that we are. According to their survey of 1000 people, 75% of mobile users used their devices on the crapper. Even more telling is that for people between 28 to 35, that figure jumps to 91%. In fact, their survey also shared that folks of various ages, regardless of gender, regularly talk, text, shop, use apps, or surf the Web, while doing their daily "business." The only exception is, unsurprisingly, that folks above 65 years of age were less likely, with the figure dropping down to just 47%.

However, not only do many people have no qualms about playing with their mobile devices while waiting for their "cargo to drop", but things get stranger than that. Here's a quote from the New York Times article with some more gritty details:

One-quarter of Americans say they will not go to the bathroom without their devices. While 63 percent have answered calls, 41 percent have called someone else while enthroned. Sixteen percent in the 28-to-35 group, the youngest sample surveyed, have made purchases there. A mere 8 percent of the oldest group have felt such retail urgency. Understandably, given their infrequent chances at privacy, people with children are more likely to talk on the phone than are the childless. Single people are far more likely than the mated to text.

Hope you are sitting down for this: 20 percent of males have at one time joined a conference call from the toilet. Thirteen percent of American women have participated in meetings from the john. That is every fifth male co-worker, and every eighth female colleague.

Here's one last interesting factoid from the study... apparently "Android owners are more likely than owners of other phones to use them on the toilet." So, that's the skinny of it. We are so digitally connected, even during the evacuation of our bowels and bladders, that we don't mind sharing the experience.

We thought this was such an engaging and important topic, that it deserved a poll from our own members. So, sound off your opinion in the thread, and don't forget to vote in the poll at the top: Do you sometimes, frequently or never use your mobile device in the restroom? Or, would you prefer not to say, because you don't discuss such delicate matters. Oh, and... feel free to answer while you are on the pot. ;)

Sidenote: I have to ask the question: Why on earth would a marketing research firm even want to study this? Do they plan on targeting potential customers with "Charmin" commercials, or do they want to figure out the best time to try and sell you "Imodium-AD"?

Source: NYTimes
Image Source: Mumsnet

Last edited:

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
I hope I never have a reason to use my phone while on the throne. I also carry a two way radio at work and I won't respond to that either during that time.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
The perfect news paper

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Tablet Forum