Possible Brick, Can't Boot Recovery MID9742-8

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
Ok, so I had previously had some problems using LiveSuite but I learned the errors of my ways there after having it pointed out to me.

So I was able to root device using ADB and installed CWM recovery, flashed custom ROM and had the screen upside down problem. I searched the forums and saw that there was a bootimg zip to install to fix this and installed this through CWM.

Ever since, I cannot boot and also cannot boot into recovery, either through the two finger button way or through ADB manually.

When I do a system dump this is what I see:

$Screenshot (5).png

My concern is that everything but the bootloader is 0KB

I have tried to push a system dump of this manually through ADB, however, since I cannot access recovery, I cant get this to work either.

I am looking to see if I have caused a brick here or is there is something else to try.

Anyone willing to help please let me know what info you would need beyond this and I will provide it.

Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Post the link to the thread where you found that bootimg.zip? There may be a problem with its updater script.

Your tablet is unfortunately bricked. With nothing but the bootloader itself, there's no way I know of to get your system dump onto the tablet. Now if anyone else knows differently I'm sure they'll chime in.

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
Post the link to the thread where you found that bootimg.zip? There may be a problem with its updater script.

Your tablet is unfortunately bricked. With nothing but the bootloader itself, there's no way I know of to get your system dump onto the tablet. Now if anyone else knows differently I'm sure they'll chime in.

Thread is here : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/49200-help-ck-mid9742-rom.html

post by vampirefo that references this file - 9742_bt_boot.zip

I updated this file through CWM and then my issue started. I was trying to fix the screen inverted and axis issue. Way to go on my part.

Maybe some of you experts will be able to help

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thread is here : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/49200-help-ck-mid9742-rom.html

post by vampirefo that references this file - 9742_bt_boot.zip

I updated this file through CWM and then my issue started. I was trying to fix the screen inverted and axis issue. Way to go on my part.

Maybe some of you experts will be able to help

You shouldn't have flashed it, first of all it had nothing to due with screen inverted and axis issue, bt means blue tooth second of all the person was using Novo7_E3 boot.img.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Also your tag says you have a MID9740-8 why are you messing with 9742 files?

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
Also your tag says you have a MID9740-8 why are you messing with 9742 files?

The 9742 files work. I have not been able to find any files or ROMs for the 9740 specifically. The 9742 rom by you worked perfectly except for the screen inverted and axis issue, CWM and everything worked. It was just my screw up with flashing the update that I shouldn't have. If I bricked it , It's totally my fault.

Any word on any way to undo this?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The 9742 files work. I have not been able to find any files or ROMs for the 9740 specifically. The 9742 rom by you worked perfectly except for the screen inverted and axis issue, CWM and everything worked. It was just my screw up with flashing the update that I shouldn't have. If I bricked it , It's totally my fault.

Any word on any way to undo this?

9742 and 9740 aren't the same, you should have never messed with the 9742 files.

what you should have done is root the device, make a dump upload the dump then we could have worked with you. right now we don't have a dump for the 9740 so nothing we can do.

I don't want to force the 9742 files on your 9740, I know the boot.img for 9742 and 9740 are different you have cross bread your tablet, and we have no dump for 9740 so we don't know what the correct 9740 files are.

torresicecube

Nov 12, 2012
Ok, so I had previously had some problems using LiveSuite but I learned the errors of my ways there after having it pointed out to me.

So I was able to root device using ADB and installed CWM recovery, flashed custom ROM and had the screen upside down problem. I searched the forums and saw that there was a bootimg zip to install to fix this and installed this through CWM.

Ever since, I cannot boot and also cannot boot into recovery, either through the two finger button way or through ADB manually.

View attachment 8900

I have tried to push a system dump of this manually through ADB, however, since I cannot access recovery, I cant get this to work either.

I am looking to see if I have caused a brick here or is there is something else to try.

Anyone willing to help please let me know what info you would need beyond this and I will provide it.

Thanks

Hi brianpetty80, how did you root the device using ADB and installed CWM recovery, because I also having problems with the Livesuite and I want my tablet back to live.

torresicecube

Nov 12, 2012

View attachment 8900

Thanks

Hi brianpetty80, how did you root the device using ADB and installed CWM recovery, because I also having problems with the Livesuite and I want my tablet back to live.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Sticky posts at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum tell you what you need to know. However, be aware of the risks in attempting to install CWM on top of a Livesuite ROM.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
I rooted using ADB and installed CWM recovery from ADB. I introduced my problem by falshing an update package I should not have. I never attempted livesuite.

Did you make your display fuzzy? I have a partial dump that contains a bootloader.img boot.img recovery.img.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...887-coby-mid9740-8-dump-missing-tgz-file.html

Here is the thread I posted where vampirefo. helped me.

mid97408dump11192012.zip

Here is a link to my files.

Just out of curiousity which version of cwm-recovery did you put on your device?