Power switch repair gone wrong

Naturalman

Aug 4, 2013
Hi All,

Long time reader, first post, please be kind.

OK so late last night I while watching tv I had difficulty turning on the A500 with the power button. Finally got it on after a few attempts and started streaming commentary for the game I was watching. When it was time to turn it off, I was unable to power down with the button, the tablet was asleep so I had no way of turning the tablet off!!!!

I researched this problem and can see that many people have had an issue with this button "moving" from its mounts. So I carefully opened the device, found the button laying back at an angle, just as my research had indicated. The button was still working as I was able to press it with my screwdriver, unsleep device, stop the streaming and then held the button down to turn off the device.

I then proceeded with the fix, carefully returned the switch to original position and placed some glue underneath the switch to hold it in place. Once the glue had dried I was able to press the button no problem... problem solved I thought.

Reconnected the battery, replaced the back cover and...... no power. I can not press the button as original and hear the click..... but no power.

Tablet will charge so I think it is operating OK, other than the button.

Any idea's where I went wrong? Any way to test the tablet? anyone know how I can short the switch connections to simulate a button press to ensure I have not killed the tablet? Any help or suggestions appreciated....

naturalman.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Most glues tend to be insulators, not conductors. Glue alone does not seem like a good solution to the problem. Merely gluing the component down is unlikely to provide a good electrical connection, and if any glue got on the leads, that could actually prevent a connection. Use solder to secure any electrical connections. You could augment that as others have done with some mechanical bracing of the switch opposite the button.

Naturalman

Aug 4, 2013
Thanks Mrhelper,

I did think about jamming something between the back of the switch and the next component, might still do that.

As far as the glue goes, this is just under the switch, glued to the pcb, I have not glued the conductors as the switch was working when it was folded back at an angle, all I did was return it to the correct position and apply the glue. I guess I should check that I have not damaged the conductors through fatigue.... will do that tonight.

naturalman.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I did think about jamming something between the back of the switch and the next component, might still do that.

The switch may need to be grounded and you've insulated it from the board.