Printing from Galaxy Note 10.1 (non-Samsung printers) ? can it be done ?

MACA2B2

Oct 29, 2012
Has anyone had any luck with printing to a non-Samsung printer ? I'm particularly interested in not having to replace my relatively new HP Photosmart C309. I also would like to avoid apps like PrintShare which starts charging you after 20 sheets are done gratis*. Either Bluetooth or USB printing only, please.
*after paying for the printer and the cost of cartridges and paper, I really don't want to add an additional fee for each page I print.... if you know what I mean. :(
**btw - the Galaxy Note 10.1 detects my printer via bluetooth right away, the problem is it insists I need a Samsung printer...
:(

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
HP has an app but it is mostly for photos. I would strongly suggest PrinterShare as the ultimate answer unless you go for CloudPrint. At least PrinterShare will do the WiFi and/or BT. CloudPrint will work with just about anything.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
HP has an app but it is mostly for photos. I would strongly suggest PrinterShare as the ultimate answer unless you go for CloudPrint. At least PrinterShare will do the WiFi and/or BT. CloudPrint will work with just about anything.

Exactly this. Always check to see if the printer company has an app first, then PrinterShare then CloudPrint. There is no fee if you buy the premium app which honestly if you are a heavy printer user then is $13 really so much to ask? Heck, in that case chances are you spend much much more on paper than ink than the price of the app.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I use Printershare on my Note 10.1 and it really is worth the small investment. Actually I use it on 4 different tablets I have, which I guess cuts the price down even further. It just works and that says a lot. I would use it on my HTC phone as well but HTC was thoughtful enough to include Jet print which also seems to work admirably.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
I was lucky enough to get PrinterShare as the Amazon free app of the day some time ago (in 2011). I've been very happy with it on both the Android tablets I've owned. I think it's the most useful app I have. :)

Auntie
sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
HP does offer one cool option for their wireless printers, you can set up a free hpeprint email address and you can email yourself a document from any machine anywhere and it prints on your wifi enabled HP printer. This is independant of a computer on your home network.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

MACA2B2

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks, when I posted this I was a little quick on the draw. I missed the premium pricetag. Nope, you're right, it's not too much to ask.
One additional question,though. Did leeshor or you actually get PrinterShare to work via BlueTooth as indicated ? If so, that would be terrific! Of course, if this will still require a printer driver for the HP C309, then it's still a moot point as I
could not locate a driver on HP website.
Thanks again.

Exactly this. Always check to see if the printer company has an app first, then PrinterShare then CloudPrint. There is no fee if you buy the premium app which honestly if you are a heavy printer user then is $13 really so much to ask? Heck, in that case chances are you spend much much more on paper than ink than the price of the app.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I had the blue tooth working on a Brother, (I'm pretty sure it was Brotherr), printer at a customer's site but I have no BT printers in my office. But yes, it worked.

I have found that if the specific printer is not a part of PrinterShare, (they are adding some with every update), there is usually a printer that is close enough that it will work. I have used it on some pretty sophisticated multi function printers and it only failed once on a really large and complex office printer.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I have an HP printer, it didn't work with printer share, but it did with the HP app. I can print from my nook and from my note 5.4 but when
I try printing from my other Samsung 8.9 I get the same problem MACA 2B2 is talking about.....it keep asking for the Samsung printer

Last edited:

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
When I use PrinterShare on my Note 10.1 I don't use the "print" option, which always says a Samsung printer is needed. I use the "share" option and then share what I want to print with PrinterShare. The content I wish to print then shows up in the PrinterShare app and I can print to my HP WiFi printer with no problem at all.

Auntie

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have an HP printer, it didn't work with printer share, but it did with the HP app. I can print from my nook and from my note 5.4 but when
I try printing from my other Samsung 8.9 I get the same problem MACA 2B2 is talking about.....it keep asking for the Samsung printer

What HP printer? I have printed to literally dozens of different HP printers at customer sites and have yet to have a problem.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
AuntieParticle said:
When I use PrinterShare on my Note 10.1 I don't use the "print" option, which always says a Samsung printer is needed. I use the "share" option and then share what I want to print with PrinterShare. The content I wish to print then shows up in the PrinterShare app and I can print to my HP WiFi printer with no problem at all.

Auntie

Thank you,I can finally print thanks to your advice! And it works with my HP app.As soon as I'll switch to the browser, I'll thank you properly. :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Leeshor,I have an HP Deskjet 3050 seriesJ611.I bought it just to print with my tablets and when I did they told me at the store I could do it. I had Printer Share at the time but I couldn't print. I called HP and they told me to change the printer and they gave me the name oh the one I could print with. Since I was a little lazy to have to pack it again and return it,I tried to see if I could make it work. I figure it would work with the HP app but it didn't.Then I noticed I could see my printer in the list of the wifi available for me so I connected my tablet to the printer and in this way I can print.What the instructions tell you is to connect both printer and tablet to the same wifi connection, but for me it doesn't work.But it does to connect my tablets to the printer......funny.If I'm online and I see something I want to print I just take a screenshot , because I can't print online, and later when I get offline .,I connect to the printer and print. It sounds complicated but it's not and anywa.....it works for me!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That's really strange. I'm thinking that there is still a way to print over the WiFi and you may need to do more digging. You do know that it will work using PrinterShare over Cloud Print, yes?