Problem with ClockworkMod Recovery

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
So i've been working through the thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html
Rebooted into recovery, made the backup, did the reboot system now with the sd card still in the NC,
but everytime it reboots, the "future of reading comes up", the N logo for a split second and it boots straight into clockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5. With or without the sd card installed it just boots back into it.

Any Help ?

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
no matter what i do, it just keep rebooting into clockworkmod recovery. :-(

popped the sd card out, plugged the NC into the computer with the USB, boots into Clockwork again.

it look like it worked..
b68effb0.jpg

view of the sd card
5cd7b8ba.png

d79a97a2.png

Last edited:

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
just tried to do a full system restore off my backup from the sd. Still boots into clockwordMod.
FARK

I should probably to go sleep and deal with this tomorrow. 1/2 in a mind to unroot it and start again. I didn't clear the cache before doing the restore from sd card.
ha, I really thought this would be abit easier and feeling abit out of my depth. I know when I get it down it will be good, and coming from a complete Mac household I really want to persist and get this little guy up and running.

If you can help, please help pull me out of this technological purgatory.
Steve

found this, by installing the zip off the SD, we are back in business and booting back to the normal screen.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=901740

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
How about removing CWR ? -http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8114-how-uninstall-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
After getting back into the system, Youtube was broken again. So i reinstalled rico's apk from dropbox and its working again. Does ANYONE have a fix for this ?
not really keen to have to remove, and re-install CWR everytime I have to be down there.
Steve

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
So, if i go back into CWR and do a kernel patch, will i keep lopping in CWR til I delete it, get back into the system and re-install it ?
will the kernel still be there after i keep pulling and pushing CWR ?
cheers guys,
Steve

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I think you should uninstall CWR and factory reset your device. Then reread the instructions and proceed slowly. This was my mistake when I first rooted my NC with Autonooter 3.0.0, I didn't take my time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Easy fix, update to CWM recovery 3.0.1.

no one reads instructions.
(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

Yes, I'm a little late but once you were stuck in the boot loop all you probably needed to do was put the CWR 3.0.1 zip file on the SD card and then flash that from inside CWR. You don't need to unistall CWR (unless you have created other issues and need to unistall and restore).

Once you have CWR running properly you will not get stuck in boot loops after flashing kernels or ROMs (unless someting goes haywire but not typically). You therefore will not have to remove it each time.

As for the Youtube fix, it dpends on what your current problem is. Once you have the correct apk installed and it continues to force close on you (touch and it returns to home without opening) the solution is to use Titanium Backup go to the second tab, then to the Youtube app and the wipe data. Youtube will continue to force close if you login to your Youtube account and don't logout before exiting the app. The only solutions are 1) never login, 2) log out before closing or 3) use Titanium Backup and wipe data each time the error occurs.

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Easy fix, update to CWM recovery 3.0.1.

no one reads instructions.

Not true, I've only been able to get this far by reading carefully. I haven't even picked a rom yet, due to research.
I do each part piece by piece. I only downloaded the rom manager in the last 2 days off the market, so I assumed it was the most recent, my apologies.
I thank you all for your assistance, it's def not an easy process.

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
1. i've re-read Rico's post and saw that he posted the CWR 3.0.1 zip, but I couldnt find how to manually load that. I found the image of that in a rar here
xda-developers - View Single Post - [RECOVERY] Making an updated bootable ClockworkMod SD
So i went to nookdev, and "burnt" that image onto a 4gb card.

Is it like the auto-nooter. Just put the sd card in and boot it ?

2. Also, do I need ADB Shell Access to make the nook read/write ?
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Shell_access
if i do, from reading that, I have no clue how to do it. A link would be greatly appreciated.

3. Also, sorry, thoughts on this rom, im downloading it now.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1002000

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
steveb, the process for flashing zips is different than the autonooter process and is what this thread is all about http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html.

To flash a zip file with a ROM (or although it is sort of counterintuitive a copy of CWR over the copy you are using to flash the new copy). You boot into CWR either from a bootable SD card or by goinging into CWM and selecting Reboot into Recovery or by holding the n and power button for 8 seconds when powering on.

Once inside CWR you need to clear some caches/data/system depending on what you are doing and then choose to install from you SD card. At this point you select the zip file you want to install and it flashes the file onto the device. Reboot and you are done.

Now of course this is the abridged version of the process and the full process is inthe link. Perhaps you don't understand the process or need clarification of the steps in the thread which is why Rico quipped that nobody reads the instructions. They are all laid out but that doesn't necessarily mean that everybody will understand it all. If you have specific questions about the process then ask away.

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks J515op, I will boot into recovery, wipe those sections and flash the zip that Rico posted.
I really wanted to get CWR up to 3.0.1 before playing around with roms.
Ricos instructions are a super valuable asset, but as a 1st timer I'm sure I do rush over things which in turn makes it harder for myself. Thanks all for the continued support.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks J515op, I will boot into recovery, wipe those sections and flash the zip that Rico posted.
I really wanted to get CWR up to 3.0.1 before playing around with roms.
Ricos instructions are a super valuable asset, but as a 1st timer I'm sure I do rush over things which in turn makes it harder for myself. Thanks all for the continued support.

Sure thing, that's what we're here for. One thing to note is that when you flash CWR 3.0.1 you will see it as 3.0.1 wile it is flashing. Then depending on what ROM you have it might not show up that way again. For example if you are autonootered and running androind 2.1 it will tell you you have 3.0.0.5 even though it is really 3.0.1. Then say you flash the CM7 ROM onto your nook and look at the version again and it will show you that you have 3.0.1 even though you didn't change CWR from what was already there. It was just showing the wrong version.

JP