Product Recommendations (Android Wi-Fi Only Tablets)

lexington476

Dec 4, 2010
I am looking for an Android Wi-Fi only tablet in a smaller form factor for using at work and on the go. Mainly I am looking for tablet the size of a phone (or so). I mainly want it to be able to play MP3 and Audible audio books along with have the capability to take pictures and use the Internet a bit.

What I have now for portable electronic devices are:
Creative ZEN Mozaic EZ300 (MP3 player)
Dell Streak 7 (tablet)
Droid 2 (work phone)
Keyocera G2GO M2000 (cheap personal phone)

The Mosaic is nice, but dated (still works) but tends to choice/hang on Audible audio books. The Strek 7 is very nice, but too big for work. The Droid 2 is my work phone, so cannot do much with that. The Keyocera phone is more or less just a cell phone and SMS, but it does play MP3s, but not much else.

I was looking around Bets Buy a few days ago, I saw the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 both very nice. The 5.0 is just way too big for what I am thinking, the 4.0 might work, but it is still a little outside the size I am looking for.

Since I have always loved Creative products I was looking at their Creative ZEN Touch 2, and which, looking at their website, seems to be the right size, with a camera and Wi-Fi. But the ZEN Touch 2 does not seem to be carried in stores for me to checkout before I order one oneline.

Price range I am looking at is say $225 or less.

What other products out there might I consider looking at?

Thank you!

Last edited:

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Have you looked at the Acer A100?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
For that size you might as well get an iPod touch, ugh!!!

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
There are a few options for you:

1. If you want a "tablet", then one of the manufacturers (I believe it is Lenovo?) is supposed to be coming out with a 5 inch tablet.

2. If your size (2.5" to 4") is a must have for you, then no tablet will work for you and you're not really looking for a tablet, but you're looking for a phone. All of the newest phones are all coming out with screen sizes larger than 4" anyways, so you could save some money and meet your size requirements by buying a used, older phone like a Droid Incredible or Motorola Droid. They both have screens under 4" and will work fine as WiFi only devices. You just need to skip the phone activation part. You can find a used Droid Incredible or Motorola Droid for around $100.

3. Get an iPod Touch.

lexington476

Dec 4, 2010
Ah, don't really care for Apple products (I am an IT person, I can handle harder to use products).

Anyone every use a Creative ZEN Touch 2 or one of the Archos internet tablets? The Archos internet tablets come in 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, and 4.3 inch? However, the Archos internet tablets seem to get mixed reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi lexington,

Big Lots has a 4 GB Polaroid medial player with a 5" screen for $45 starting the 4th, I don't think it can do the internet, but it has a camera. Hope this helps, I don't know of any smaller devices that run Android except for phones...

5" Touch 4GB MP3 Player
$45
Price Cut! Save 43% Reg. $50 Compare To $79.99​

lithium-ion battery, digital voice recording Built-In Camera! colors vary by store

Valid 12/4/11 - 12/10/11

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Dell Streak also will fit the bill, but that is also a phone.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

lexington476

Dec 4, 2010
Hi lexington,

Big Lots has a 4 GB Polaroid medial player with a 5" screen for $45 starting the 4th, I don't think it can do the internet, but it has a camera. Hope this helps, I don't know of any smaller devices that run Android except for phones...

Got a URL?

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
My sister had an archos 4.3 I think. (They make so many blasted ones, not sure which size it was.) She really liked it. I was going to suggest one of those. Also there's a Latte ICE smart media player that's running Android and should work for your needs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
Seeing as your desired screen size is more in the Ipod touch range than the tablet range, and you could get a full sized Android tablet for the cost of an Itouch, would a Zune HD appeal to you? Similar size and features to the Ipod Touch, but I think they're going for a fair bit cheaper now. Not sure whether they're discontinued or not, whether they play audio books or have a camera, but, might be worth a look seeing as the other options seem to be phones or the Ipod touch.