Progress on BlueTooth and is the USB host available?

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I was just wondering if any progress had been made on enabling bluetooth? I would love to use an external keyboard from time to time or a wireless headset.

Also if you use a Micro USB Type B Male to USB A Female, can us connect a usb keyboard or a thumb drive to a rooted Nook?

Cen5

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
bluetooth support is still being worked on in the development stages and nothing has come out yet...

there is no hardware working via the microUSB that I am aware of at this time.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
There is a bluetooth radio in the Nook Color, and there is a hack for enabling it over at XDA but it is not stable. I would not try it until it is made stable, it is just for advanced developers.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
Based on the tear-down, the NC uses a Texas Instruments TPS65921 which has:
  • <LI class=" sfhover">3 Step-Down Converters:
    • <LI class="">Up to 1.2 A of output current for VDD1TPS65921B supports
      VDD1 up to 1.2 ATPS65921B1 supports VDD1 up to 1.4 A
      (necessary for 1-GHz operation) <LI class="">SmartReflex™ dynamic voltage management <LI class="">3.2 MHz fixed frequency operation <LI class="">VIN range from 2.7 to 4.5 V
    • Typical 30 µA quiescent per converter
    <LI class="">4 general-purpose configurable LDOs:
    • <LI class="">Dynamic voltage scaling <LI class="">220 mA maximum current for one LDO <LI class="">VIN range from 2.7 to 4.5 V
    • 2 LDOs with low noise and high PSRR
    <LI class="">RTC with alarm wake up mechanism <LI class="">Clock management
    • <LI class="">32-kHz crystal oscillator <LI class="">Clock slicer for 26, 19.2, and 38.4 MHz
    • HF clock output buffer
  • USB:
    • <LI class="">USB HS 2.0 transceiver <LI class="">USB 1.3 OTG-compliant
    • 12-bit ULPI 1.1 interface
I believe that "USB 1.3 OTG (on the go) compliant" line means it should be possible to connect other USB hardware (i.e. keyboards, mice, flash drives, etc.) to the NC. The problem will be software. In all my reading I haven't heard of anyone working on enabling this feature.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes I believe the problem with connecting usb hardware lies in the Android OS. But Bluetooth keyboard might work if the feature is unlocked I believe.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Over at xda in CM7 developers thread - got this info on BlueTooth working. Will have to view with Flash enabled browser to see the video - Nook YouTube version only gives audio

"-Bluetooth does not work
This is pending the 2.6.32 kernel port which is still actively being worked on.
****Update**** Bluetooth now works in CM7 but has not been commited to the nightlies yet.
Bluetooth is working seemingly perfect except for the range. Unfortunately, the range is terrible.
Depending on the device you are paried with, the range is between 1-5ft. Any ideas on how to
fix the range issue would be much appreciated."

Last edited by a moderator:

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
Not sure if the nook color is capable of this hardware wise but I bought a MicroUSB male to USB A female just in case 8)

Cen5

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread (#6), the NC does have the required hardware. Once someone with the proper skills starts working on the software side we should all start thinking about buying that cable...