Purchasing advice please

gk74205

Aug 3, 2011
Greetings all.

I've posted this in the appropriate thread but there are 85 pages and and seems to have been dead for some time. Since I do plan to decide and purchase within, oh I don't know, yesterday, I would appreciate any response.

I am considering buying a tablet in the very near future for myself and my mom. I already know what I am going to get if I get an iPad, but I was hoping for an alternative to Apple. I already have a 4G wifi modem and I don't need something that touts overpriced 3G or a similarly priced wifi version...

So I was shopping around and found out that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 was in ample supply at the local big box store at a very good price compared to the other tablets available.

I was hoping people could persuade me to finally pull the trigger and go Android and buy the tablet.

Here is what I want/need the gadget to do:
1) View websites + SAVE websites (as in locally as a file such as a html file)
2) Print website
3) Video playback (HQ vids, including H.264 and DivX)
4) VPN
5) Run apps designed for smartphones aesthetically
6) Remote access PC (I heard this is possible :D )
7) Video chat (I heard Skype doesn't do video on Android, but I may be wrong)

Requirements 1 and 2 are for my mom. It is something I don't think I need, but she absolutely wants.
It a MUST regardless of what people think.

Also, what happens to apps designed for smartphone on tablets? Android is still new in Japan and Android smartphones are still a very small minority. So Android tablets are even more scarce and there is little or no apps designed for tablets. This includes the earthquake related apps I REQUIRE. So I would really like to know what apps for smartphones usually look like on tablets. (The stores do not installnor allow anything to be installed on the samples provided... grrr...)

Is the Acer Iconia A500 a good choice for the above tasks?
Do you guys have recommendations on apps I may need to fulfill my requirements?
Also are there any cases people recommend?

Since I am a complete newbie to the Android universe, are there disappointments that I should be prepared for or expect? My background is mostly windows, with a sprinkle of iBook G4, iPhone, and some Red Hat.

Any and all related input is appreciated.

Thank you!

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
Here is what I want/need the gadget to do:
1) View websites + SAVE websites (as in locally as a file such as a html file)

I use Dolphin Browser and the MyPDF addon.

2) Print website

I use Google Cloud Print

3) Video playback (HQ vids, including H.264 and DivX)

MoboPlayer and Buzz Player seem to be the most popular choices

4) VPN

Haven't a need for this

5) Run apps designed for smartphones aesthetically

Some work and some are awful. Tablet apps options are much nicer.

6) Remote access PC (I heard this is possible :D )

Splashtop Desktop works over wifi. TeamViewer and PocketCloud are remote options.

7) Video chat (I heard Skype doesn't do video on Android, but I may be wrong)

Google chat works. I haven't tried Skype since the update.

Also, what happens to apps designed for smartphone on tablets? Android is still new in Japan and Android smartphones are still a very small minority. So Android tablets are even more scarce and there is little or no apps designed for tablets. This includes the earthquake related apps I REQUIRE. So I would really like to know what apps for smartphones usually look like on tablets. (The stores do not installnor allow anything to be installed on the samples provided... grrr...)

Some phone apps stay phone size on the tablet screen... in portrait.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum