Purchasing movies online?

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
Very new to this whole app/android/tablet thing, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. I have read other relevant posts but not got the answers I want.

I have a new Acer Iconia Tab A500. Can I purchase movies online (from itunes or somewhere) and watch them on my tablet?

If yes, can you tell me what app I need from the app market and where do I get the movies from? And is there any particular format they need to be in? I'm talking about new/recent release movies, and I want to buy, not rent them.

Also, should I download them onto my desktop computer then transfer them or onto my tablet directly? I plan to keep the movies on SD cards of some sort down the track, but I just want to get a movie before I work out how I need to store it.

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
I know this is the video forum but I have the same question about music... so if you want to answer that one too it would be nice :)

cool1100

Dec 7, 2010
I use the Amazon mp3 app for music, you can store songs on there "Cloud drive" and then download them to more then one devise if you have more. You can't get movies from iTunes because they have there DRM protection. The movies I have on my tab I have ripped from my computer.

D

dvdcatalyst

Very new to this whole app/android/tablet thing, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. I have read other relevant posts but not got the answers I want.

I have a new Acer Iconia Tab A500. Can I purchase movies online (from itunes or somewhere) and watch them on my tablet?

If yes, can you tell me what app I need from the app market and where do I get the movies from? And is there any particular format they need to be in? I'm talking about new/recent release movies, and I want to buy, not rent them.

Also, should I download them onto my desktop computer then transfer them or onto my tablet directly? I plan to keep the movies on SD cards of some sort down the track, but I just want to get a movie before I work out how I need to store it.

Besides Google's Video app, there are currently no sites that let you purchase movies. iTunes movies, as well as Digital Copies (those you get with some DVDs, Blurays and PNY USB sticks for example) are all DRM-protected, which makes them useless for Android devices.
Your best bet is to purchase your movies on DVD/Bluray, and then convert them yourself to MP4 files for your tablet.