Question about power charging TF300

zollen

Mar 16, 2012
I am a new owner of Transformer TF300. I admit I am completely new to tablet. The TF300 comes with a USB power cable and a power charger. Can I simply plug the USB power cable to my computer USB drive for charging my tablet?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The output Amperage of a USB port is generally too low to charge a tablet. If it works at all, it'll charge much more slowly than the charger that came with your tablet.

J

jimbo7630

A U.S. Company called Griffin manufacture Domestic Voltage adapters which include USB sockets, they're not the cheapest but they are excellent as additional chargig alternatives.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Unforunately no. Asus tablets run off of 15V DC and a usb port only outputs 5V. The tab will recognize the fact that it is plugged in to a computer so you cna sink, but it won't actually draw power. In fact, if you try charging it with your typical phone charger it won't even recognize that it's plugged in.

sark666

May 17, 2012
Hmm, lots of tablets don't charge over usb but it's not because of the power draw. Others can charge over usb albeit slowly. My nook color uses usb for it's charger cable (takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs) but a regular usb will trickle charge in about 8 hrs. Most reivew don't mention this, but this is a big requirement for me while travelling. I want my device to charge over usb and not worry about adapters cables.

Searching asus I see this:

Could TF101 be charged via USB?

Yes, TF101 can be charged via the USB port on the computer only when it is in sleep mode (Screen off) or powered off (this way might take longer time to complete)
If the computer does not provide enough power for charging Eee Pad, please use the adapter instead.

from: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- FAQ Eee Pad Transformer TF101

So you guys sound off the mark. OP could you please try and post back. The above faq if for the original transformer but I'm assuming (hoping) it is also true for the tf 300.

agardk

May 30, 2012
Hmm, lots of tablets don't charge over usb but it's not because of the power draw. Others can charge over usb albeit slowly. My nook color uses usb for it's charger cable (takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs) but a regular usb will trickle charge in about 8 hrs. Most reivew don't mention this, but this is a big requirement for me while travelling. I want my device to charge over usb and not worry about adapters cables.

Searching asus I see this:

Could TF101 be charged via USB?

Yes, TF101 can be charged via the USB port on the computer only when it is in sleep mode (Screen off) or powered off (this way might take longer time to complete)
If the computer does not provide enough power for charging Eee Pad, please use the adapter instead.

from: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- FAQ Eee Pad Transformer TF101

So you guys sound off the mark. OP could you please try and post back. The above faq if for the original transformer but I'm assuming (hoping) it is also true for the tf 300.

They are not really off the mark but perhaps not explaining it in a way you understand. The issue here really boils down to simple math.

I only have a 300 so I can not speak directly to the 101 but as I understand it they use the same charger so I'm assuming the same applies.

The TF300 utilizes 18 watts (15 volts @ 1.2 amps) Most standard mobile device chargers deliver roughly 4 watts (5 volts @0.8 amps). Now, when the tablet is powered up, depending on type and use, it may draw more than 4 watt so the result is that you will net lose charge. When off, the 4 watts akin to putting a lawn mower engine in an SUV. You *might* get the thing to move but if so, only very slowly. So, with the device powered down the 4 watts might charge it but it will take it a looooooong time.

Another problem is that all USB ports are NOT created equally. There is actually some pretty significant fluctuation in the power output of these ports. Yo might have noticed over the years that some device manufacturers actually suggest that you use a powered USB hub rather than directly attaching to the computer's USB ports. That's because they can be sure that *most* decent powered hubs will provide the required voltage. So yes, some ports might charge the device, if very slowly, where others will not.

The bottom line is I would carry the appropriate charger rather than rely on a standard USB port if your tablet is critical to you.

I hope this helps you to understand the problem.

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
you can plug in the 300 into the wall and charge it.the 300 comes with a wall charger just plug the usb cable in the wall charger and in the 300.just read the book that came with the 300.also make sure your frist charge is 8 horus
and after that recharge the 300 when it getss beween 50 and 45 percent.good luck