Question: Battery Facts and Myths

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Just got my Transformer TF101. . .

1) Ok so I guess the prevailing notion is that I should charge it up fully, and then discharge the battery completely, right? How many times should I discharge it completely to condition the battery? Or this no longer necessary for newer batteries?

2) I read someone, somewhere claiming that it was bad for the battery to use the transformer while it is charging? Really? That seems rather counter-intuitive, or at least general laptop battery convention that says you should have it plugged in whenever possible, so has not to diminish that number of finite charges your battery possesses.

Are both these claims valid? Thanks.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
1) http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-one-guide-how-start-your-android-tablet.html
2) Don't use the tablet when charging the battery for the first time. After that, there's no problem using it while charging. In fact, my Nook expects to be used while charging and turns itself on when I plug it in. If I've used it until it shut itself off automatically, when I plug it in I get a message telling me to wait 15 minutes and then try to turn it on again.
3) Extra credit reading: Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
One reason I think there is both myth and reality is due to how individuals behave when they get their new Tablet, Phone, Notebook..... I do not put it on the issue of use during charge so much as duration of charging. Many do not allow the device to fully charge.
I know it requires patience, but I wait until it has charged at least an hour before using it while it continues to charge. I do not disconnect until it is fully charged.
Most of the Devices I use, I make sure the device relies upon the battery rather than the Power cord. I learned the hard way on a Tablet a year ago where I left it on the charger for over a longer period of time. (Two weeks) I noticed following that I could never get the same battery life as I did prior to that action.
I have had my TF101 and KB Dock for 6&4 months. I find I am still getting 14+ hours with the KB dock and 7+ with the Tablet. I am not doing Games or Video constantly. I am doing Music or Stored Music, Reading and some games and/or Video during that window of use.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As stated I don't really think those are valid claims. The extra credit link posted by spider is a good one. People are still hung up on the ideas that came with NimH batteries. It is sort of like oil changes (not to stir up a can of worms here) but many people can't let go of the 3000 mile change although modern oils and cars now allow double that time according to the service manuals (actually ~7000 miles most of the time now). Sometimes it is just said so many times you can't get it out of your head.

I don't think using the device on the charger is an issue but you probably don't want to do it all the time. Tablets are not laptops and tying yourself to a cable is rather criminal regardless of any potential charging issues. Just use the device and be happy with it even if that sometimes includes from the cord while charging.

Cell phones are a perfect example of how when we don't over think about what we are doing we do the right thing. Most people just use their phone and it runs down however much it runs down in a day. Then they drop it on the charger at night. Maybe some days they use it a lot or forget to charge it and it runs all the way down but rarely do people intentionally cycle them that way. Tablets should be no different.

As gurgle noted you may not want to store your device on a charger for a long period of time. In the extra credit article and for most lithium ion batteries it is recommended to power down and store them around 80% charge if you aren't going to use it for a while.

Yes batteries have a limited amount of charges and may be used up before you are done with the device. The reality is though that the quality and life of most batteries these days is longer than the anticipated use of the device. Tablets at this stage of their development are made to be disposable and replaced every couple of years just by the advances of each new generation. It is sort of a shame but the current reality. I still have old Nokia phones from 10 years ago some place that the batteries still work on despite daily charging and not paying attention to charging cycles. That doesn't mean I want to use those phones anymore though.

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Ok thanks all for the help. After reviewing your advice and perusing the links,. . . it sounds like the following may be best practice?

I'll fully charge the tablet over night. Then unplug and use it as needed (usually lasts a couple days), then when it gets real low (on day 3 or so), charge it over night again, then unplug the next morning and go a couple days again. Repeat.

Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes that sounds reasonable. Use it and charge it when necessary. You don't necessarily need to run it down low before recharging. For example if you only use it a little one day, say down to 85%, but know you are going to use it a lot the next day then go ahead and top it off overnight so you don't run short when you need it.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I used to worry too much about my battery back in the Palm days, but finally convinced myself that I wasn't really getting the most from these relatively expensive devices because of this concern. I charge my Galaxy Tab every night regardless of the level. One thing I have read is that running the battery intentionally low between charges will, over time, actually shorten the lifespane of the battery. Even if you do this you should get about 2000 charge cycles before battery life is reduced significally, or so I have read.