Questions about (re-) rooting Nook Color

brainfogbetty

Oct 28, 2012
I previously had rooted my Nook Color and when the update came, the root was messed up. So, I reverted it back to stock with 1.2.0 version. Here are my questions.

1. If I do a dual boot on an SD card, will Nook Updates ruin the root?
2. Should I do the 1.4.3 Nook Update before I root the SD card?
3. If I root the NC and totally wipe out NC, will it still update?
4. If I do a dual boot on an 8 gig SD card, will I be able to use the available space for ebooks?
Last time I did the dual boot, I could not access my ebooks on the SD card.
5. I was running CyanogenMod 7 before--are the newer versions better/stable?
6. Is there a way to block the Nook Updates?

I think that's about it, but I might have more questions.

Thanks. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I previously had rooted my Nook Color and when the update came, the root was messed up. So, I reverted it back to stock with 1.2.0 version. Here are my questions.

Well the first question you need to answer is do you really need the stock Nook OS for any reason? If not then going with a custom ROM (CyanogenMod) is a better option than just rooting.

1. If I do a dual boot on an SD card, will Nook Updates ruin the root?

No, what is on the card is not affected by the updates to the Nook itself. Only a root on the Nook's internal memory will be affected by the update.

2. Should I do the 1.4.3 Nook Update before I root the SD card?

It doesn't matter. It is usually best to have the most recent version before rooting. All rooting does is unlock the OS for you to access certain parts of it. You might as well be rooting the most recent version of the OS you are running.

3. If I root the NC and totally wipe out NC, will it still update?

If by totally wipe out NC you mean replace it with a custom ROM then the updates will have no affect on that ROM.

4. If I do a dual boot on an 8 gig SD card, will I be able to use the available space for ebooks?

Yes, a bootable card will use a certain amount of space for the system and what is left over will be available as usable storage. So if you use a 4GB bootable card and the system takes up 3GB you will have 1GB left of storage. If you use a 16GB card and the system uses 3GB you will have the remaining 13GB as storage.

Last time I did the dual boot, I could not access my ebooks on the SD card.

Not sure why. Would need more info about what your specific problem was at the time. Ebooks are available on a bootable SD card.

5. I was running CyanogenMod 7 before--are the newer versions better/stable?

That depends on when and what version of CM7 you were running. The current version is 7.2.0. CM9 is also an option though it is still in Beta. It is pretty stable wil occasional hard freezes requiring a reboot. CM9 is Android 4.0 (ICS) though which is nice.

6. Is there a way to block the Nook Updates?

Yes, if you root then all you need to do is install ClockWord Mod recovery or another recovery on the internal memory of the Nook. This will block updates. Running a custom ROM will also prevent updates because it is not Nook software and won't B&N sends out doesn't matter to it.

I think that's about it, but I might have more questions.

Thanks. :)

Glad to help.

JP