Re-watch the full Motorola Xoom Tablet commercial aired during the super bowl

Gorilla72

Feb 7, 2011
Not too empowering for that kind of money! For a few dollars more might as well get a MacBook Air then! Why I got my NookColor. Good Luck with that price point Moto!

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
Agreed -- the price is way too high. However, I have to give props to Motorola for having the chutzpah to turn Apple's classic "1984" Super Bowl ad against them.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
The ad is TERRIBLE.

What does it tell the consumer about the XOOM? What does it tell the consumer that 'these are the x things the XOOM can do that other devices can't'?

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I talked to a lot of my non-tech friends and they all thought it was an iPad until the end... then said "Looks like an iPad" ... lol

I agree... bad commercial. One thing Apple does very well... marketing. Love it or hate it, but their commercials... work.

Just like Motorola Droid2 (VERIZON) does a great job marketing the product.

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
The ad is TERRIBLE.

What does it tell the consumer about the XOOM? What does it tell the consumer that 'these are the x things the XOOM can do that other devices can't'?

Sorry, but I disagree. Techies think an ad should sell the features of the product, but most of their demographic probably doesn't know enough about a specific feature set to make it their crucial factor in deciding whether, and what, to buy. In reality, though, ads work best when they sell, not the product itself, but the image of you the consumer as you would want to be, and imply that you will become that if you buy their product. (That's how Apple has managed to prosper all these years, in case you hadn't noticed.) In this case, the ad is a clever play on the old Mac "1984" ad, and presents an image of the Xoom-owning viewer as the young, creative individual who can take on the masses of groupthink and prevail (after all, he's the one who gets the girl in the end). Who wouldn't want to be that person?

Thinking about specs, features, apps and the like can come later, in the showroom. The key to an ad is whether it "sells the image." IMHO, the Xoom ad does so. Whether it does so well enough to convince people to shell out $800, however, remains to be seen.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
again... the people I know.. non-tech people said... "Looks like an iPad"... that in itself = FAIL. You are wanting to sell your product, not have people think it's an iPad.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, I caught the 1984 Mac ad reference from the get go. I thought that part was brilliant... rest of the commercial not so much sadly. But It was good for a chuckle.