Really having trouble getting files onto Rooted Nook

twopossums

Apr 20, 2011
I have read threads upon threads but they all seem to stop or get vague right at the end where I need the help. I'm lost.

Here is where I am. I've rooted my nook and installed Honeycomb on the SD card. It boots up fine. I've applied the market fix and have full access to the Market. I've installed ADB and it seems to be working.

All I want to do is put some comics I have on my computer onto the nook to be read with ACV and I'm looking for the easiest way to do this. If that is using ADB so be it but I'd love to be able to just drag and drop them like I did on my Archos 7.

I've tried a few ways. Before I knew about adb I tried taking the sd card out and just putting it in my computer. I then created a folder called comics under I think it was called my media. I cannot find this folder while the sd card is in the nook. And now I can't move or delete it when I put the sd card back in my computer. Its says the card is protected.

Right now when I hook up my nook via usb nothing seems to happen on my computer. I don't see it as a drive.

If I need to start all over again I will. But if someone could tell me the commands to move a file over. And example please. I can put the comics in any folder so whatever example you give me I just do that.

Really this is all I want this thing to do. If I can't read my comics on it then I'll be taking it back and waiting to get the Galaxy Tab when I can afford it. I'm happy to tinker around but command lines are over my head a bit.

Thank you for any help.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
HC preview is way too buggy and not complete for daily use. Sorry I know that does not help, just being honest. HC is fun to play with for a day or two but nothing to base your whole NC experience around. Most of use have long forgot about HC and have moved on to android 2.2 or 2.3 untill a a full source of HC is available for the NC.

twopossums

Apr 20, 2011
Oh ok. Now that is interesting. Yeah HC is very pretty but I'd happily give it up if I could get more functionality out of it. As I said the main thing would be my being able to transfer my comics but I would also like to have YouTube back.

So if I rooted my nook to 2.3 then would that allow me to transfer files easier? Hopefully drag and drop.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Here is where I am. I've rooted my nook and installed Honeycomb on the SD card. It boots up fine. I've applied the market fix and have full access to the Market. I've installed ADB and it seems to be working.

If you have rooted your Nook, you should have the ability to drag and drop files via usb or use a data SD card (one without bootable honeycomb on it) that you can put in the pc, move files to and then put in the nook. There are even options like samba and dropbox to move files wirelessly.

Bottom line is if you have a rooted nook, use it that way instead of using the SD card to boot to honeycomb which is not fully functional. Then all you need to do is download a comic book reader app from the market, put your comic files on internal memory or the SD card and point your reader to those files.

Using a 2.2 or 2.3 custom ROM is completely optional but not necessary to do what you want to do.

JP

twopossums

Apr 20, 2011
I think the problem, like you said, was I was using the boot from the sd card version. This is the way I saw most everywhere so that is was I did. I did see later you could install directly to the internal storage but that made me nervous. I was already not sure about keeping the nook and I liked the idea that I could just take out the sd card and return it as stock.

I found a tutorial on Gingerbread and followed it, bookmarked the tutorial on restoring to stock (hahaha) and things are running fine. Hooked up the Nook and my pc, turned on usb file sharing and BOOM perfect. I installed the YouTube app and that seems to work as well. My only minor gripe now is Aldiko won't allow me to add a custom catalog (it was doing that in Honeycomb as well) it might be a problem with the newest version so I'm gonna see if I can find an older one on the net.

Thank you for your help. I guess I got myself on a path with some programers and went down the rabbit hole.

J515OP - I definitely want to try out Honeycomb again. I think I'll wait a bit and get to enjoy my Nook as is for awhile. Maybe any bugs will get worked out by then.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J515OP - I definitely want to try out Honeycomb again. I think I'll wait a bit and get to enjoy my Nook as is for awhile. Maybe any bugs will get worked out by then.

Wlecome a-board! There are many of us in this boat.

JP :)

ananth

May 21, 2011
Hi,

I started using gingerbread from a bootable sd card and am facing the same fix of not being able to load my books and comics to the nook. Could you tell me which tutorial / mod did you follow to successfully root your Nook Color?

My Nook color got upgraded to 1.2, and I see to many suggestions on the internet and am not sure which one to follow.

I can handle computers, but never worked with android before.

Let me know,
Thanks...

I think the problem, like you said, was I was using the boot from the sd card version. This is the way I saw most everywhere so that is was I did. I did see later you could install directly to the internal storage but that made me nervous. I was already not sure about keeping the nook and I liked the idea that I could just take out the sd card and return it as stock.

I found a tutorial on Gingerbread and followed it, bookmarked the tutorial on restoring to stock (hahaha) and things are running fine. Hooked up the Nook and my pc, turned on usb file sharing and BOOM perfect. I installed the YouTube app and that seems to work as well. My only minor gripe now is Aldiko won't allow me to add a custom catalog (it was doing that in Honeycomb as well) it might be a problem with the newest version so I'm gonna see if I can find an older one on the net.

Thank you for your help. I guess I got myself on a path with some programers and went down the rabbit hole.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi,

I started using gingerbread from a bootable sd card and am facing the same fix of not being able to load my books and comics to the nook. Could you tell me which tutorial / mod did you follow to successfully root your Nook Color?

My Nook color got upgraded to 1.2, and I see to many suggestions on the internet and am not sure which one to follow.

I can handle computers, but never worked with android before.

Let me know,
Thanks...

You can try dropbox and/or samba which will allow you to move your files wirelessly between your nook and pc. Search for these and there are a few threads about it.

JP