Recommend a tablet for military use

andy3592

Oct 14, 2011
I am in the United States Army and I was somewhat unofficially tasked to find out as much as I can about available tablets on the market. I need to know what tablet would best suit the needs of my current unit.

Currently I distribute 7 books/binders that get updated on a daily basis. We use 2 boxes of paper a month (10 reams per box). We also use 2 black toner cartridges a month at $200 each. Also, we use around three color toner cartridges a month at $280 each.

That's approximately $1000 dollars a month, not counting sheet protectors or man hours.

Hence, it seems maintaining 7 tablets would prove to be cheaper than 7 binders of paper.

The tablet would need to be able to run/open the following: Power Point, Word (docx) and PDF.

It would also be best if its possible to "drag and drop" files into while hooked/synced to a computer via USB without any extra suite/program (example: iTunes)

Currently what we have in mind are the Kindle Fire which comes out soon. I personally am eyeing the HTC Flyer. We're trying to keep a low price. We're looking for something under $500. We need 7 of these, as I mentioned earlier.

Here's the catch.
I need to be able to disable the WiFi. Preferably remove the physical part completely. Warranty isn't so much of an issue. It would not be much of a problem rooting the system and deleting certain drivers of parts of firmware. Please understand I only have a basic knowledge of this, but there are people I work with who have a more extensive knowledge and would help.

Much Appreciated,
Andy

I'll be following this thread for a while.

N4RPS

Mar 4, 2012
Hang on a few months, if you can. By then, Panasonic will probably have a Windows 8 tablet with the legendary ruggedness of their other products. It will probably do quite nicely...

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I use my Acer A500 extensively for work and use Drop Box to synch files between it, an Evo and a lap top computer.

Documents To Go is the main application and it supports Word files. I have Office and routinely use it to save files to PDF.

I also use a file management application to copy files to and from each device either through Bluetooth or wireless mode.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk