recommended minimum processor speed for tablet

ghlk

Jan 3, 2012
I am looking to buy a new tablet and was wondering what is 1ghz a good processor speed or do I need more or is less fine? Thank You.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
All I can say is read the link I provided. ARM type as described is ARM5 ARM8, ARM11,,,,,. Some are definitely better than others.

Last edited:

elektros

Jan 5, 2012
Not all processors running Android are ARM. My Cruz has a MIPS processor, and it is only 528 MHz, but dual core. Single core ARM processors running at 800 MHz or 1 GHz seem to be more common. ARM and MIPS are normally completely incompatible architectures, not like Intel and AMD which are compatible with oneanother, but Android OS is set up to be processor independent, so in theory it shouldn't matter. Even then, there are a few Android apps that only run on ARM and not MIPS. I've only seen one that actually said that, but I suspect there are others that use native ARM code and don't tell you so they just don't work on my device and I can't tell why they won't install.

ARM was originally part of (now defunct I believe) Acorn computers and just made the CPUs for their own computers, but is now an independent company. MIPS is a standard (or actually several, probably R4000 is the one used? I dunno, but some Windows Mobile devices use(d) that one), so anyone can make a MIPS CPU, but most of them are Toshiba or Phillips. Cruz don't even say who makes the MIPS CPUs in their tablets, although they do give the type number, so probably it is possible to figure it out.

Pargadox

Jan 4, 2012
i will recommend wait for asus eeepad transformer prime
it will have 4 core nvidia tegra 3

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum