[Recovery] Creating a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 or higher (ext3 & ext4 compatible)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
These are all img files that can be used to create a bootable mSD with the latest ClockWorkRecovery. The *.rar files are just like zips and should be extracted to *.img before attempting to burn them.

http://mrm3.net/nook-color-updated-clockwork-recovery-bootable-sd/

(link above contains files that continue to be updated)

Version 3.0.2.8 files are also here
http://www.mediafire.com/?ql694b9h0w3b82f

Instructions:

1. Download one of the bootable files above.
2. Extract it to a .img file using a program such as winrar or 7zip.
3. Use win32diskimager to burn the image to a blank SD card.
4. Place any other zip files on the SD card wich you may use for flashing (ROMs, kernels, stock images, etc.)
5. Inter your bootable CWR SD car into a powered off Nook and then power on to boot into recovery.
6. After following proper flashing procedures for your zip files, unmount the card and remove it before rebooting.

Last edited by a moderator:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Excuse me, but what is the reason to make this if someone has already a ready card with the CWR that was coming with installation of CM7 v3?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Because the CWR on that card is likely only CWRv3.0.0.6 if it was created using the 'ext4 Bootable CWR thread' in preparation for loading CM7. If unsure, just pop that card in and boot with it, see what version is loaded.

The reason for the update is that v3.0.0.6 was ext4 ONLY, and the new v3.0.1.0 is both ext3 and ext4 -- so you can flash any rom from stock 1.0.1 to CM7 and everything in between with the same card.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Interesting...I am now wondering if we should update the revert to stock FAQ with the new CWR mSD image

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Interesting...I am now wondering if we should update the revert to stock FAQ with the new CWR mSD image

Well, really it means updating a lot of things if it is truly stable which I haven't tested myself yet.

I was thinking about maybe taking this opportunity to combine a few of our [Recovery] write-ups into one good FAQ post. Do you want it? ;-)

randomizzer

Mar 4, 2011
When I boot using this card it is still showing 3.0.0.5. I reimaged the card 2 times.
Could this have something to do with the fact that I ended up with ROM manager having 3.0.0.5? Even after I did the process in the thread 8114-how-uninstall-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image without going back to the stock image since my NC kept rebooting into CWR?

My setup is NC with 1.1.0, used Autonooter 3.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
When I boot using this card it is still showing 3.0.0.5. I reimaged the card 2 times.
Could this have something to do with the fact that I ended up with ROM manager having 3.0.0.5? Even after I did the process in the thread 8114-how-uninstall-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image without going back to the stock image since my NC kept rebooting into CWR?

My setup is NC with 1.1.0, used Autonooter 3.
That is normal, my belief is that since you are on a ext3 based rom (1.1.0) then CWR acts like it is still v3.0.0.5 even though it really isn't. If you were to flash to an ext4 rom (ie CM7) then CWR would show as v3.0.1.0.

As long as things are working as desired, don't sweat it.

randomizzer

Mar 4, 2011
OK thanks, now I understand better.

Learning a little bit more each day. Next step will be to try a ROM that is uSD bootable. Not quite ready to dump a ROM on the Nook yet.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK thanks, now I understand better.

Learning a little bit more each day. Next step will be to try a ROM that is uSD bootable. Not quite ready to dump a ROM on the Nook yet.

Ya know, if you aren't then something is wrong... :)

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Is there a 16GB version?

1+ ... since I have a 16gb card sitting around that I don't want to "dumb down" to 8gb. It would be nice to be able to maximize the nand "master" backup storage space when backing up and switching ROMs.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Nope it is not available. But thing is still you can use :)

This is how it is :

Size of image file = Size of Memory Card.
or
Size of image file < Size of Memory Card.

so you can use any of those image files and flash it with your 16GB card.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
No, there is not a 16gb image, but you can use a resizing tool (such as eausus partition manager) to resize the storage partition of the card after creating a smaller imaged version.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
No, there is not a 16gb image, but you can use a resizing tool (such as eausus partition manager) to resize the storage partition of the card after creating a smaller imaged version.
Thanks!! For some reason the Easeus Home Edition would not allow resize, even tho a feature in that version. So downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard and it worked fine to resize the 8gb EXT4 partition to the maximum available space on my spare 16gb card. Now that will work great for Phiremod and CM7 updates as well as archiving their nands. Really appreciate that tip!