[RECOVERY] Official ClockworkMod Recovery Information and Versions

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
ClockworkMod Download Page

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

danward @ xda said:
Hey all.

As you may of noticed uDK's topic isn't updated anymore. I will compile and update every time we have a version change (or every so often).

Current version: 3.2.0.1
  • Flashable image for S-OFF users
  • recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-bravo.img
    • CRC-32: ebd3ff15
    • MD4: d35300fc839adebcbb91531ef879401b
    • MD5: 1d2e1faca71cfad02575de9ed2806078
    • SHA-1: 3681d92dce835b026c0a24d3089e8f38d497c535
  • File: recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-bravo.zip
    • CRC-32: e917d1bd
    • MD4: 6e036e1897ce07142c15b298d3a28b16
    • MD5: db81355474def9cbcfd33fcb6b71a44d
    • SHA-1: bb46e5e2858b96b3f22c0b19d8936c2ad2ba346d

[RECOVERY][8/6/2011] ClockworkMod Recovery - 3.2.0.1 - xda-developers

Additonal 3.2.0.1 download links:

http://www.multiupload.com/0DLC9QATOW

http://www.techerrata.com/dl.php?path=15&file=1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.zip

OLDER INFORMATION FOLLOWS
nemith @ xda said:
CWM has been updated officialy. It is suggested that everyone use this version from now on. The official version number is 3.0.1.0. (For real this time)
Changelog:
  • 3.0.0.5 - Initial official release for the nook. Only supported ext3. Had bootloop errors with the 1.1.0 update. (Note: Unofficial builds supported ext4 but not both at the same time)
  • 3.0.0.6 - No significant changes to 3.0.0.5 officially. (Note: Unofficial builds supported ext3 or ext4 but not both at the same time)
  • 3.0.0.8 - Broken build. Blame the samsung phones for messed up additions.
  • 3.0.0.9 - Adds official support for ext4 as well as compatability for ext3. (i.e. No need to swap recovery for different ROMs). Fixes "Always boots into recovery" with 1.1.0 updated u-boot.bin
  • 3.0.1.0 - No significant changes from 3.0.0.9 for the nook.
  • 3.0.2.8 - Sets /system to ext2. You can now backup and restore your stock roms! Delete/Update all 3.0.0.5 threads to point to 3.0.2.8 for all rom types. Rom Manager now pushes a recovery kernel as well as the ramdisk!! No need to manually install recovery kernel. Just flash the lastest from RomManager and you are done! (http://mrm3.net/nook-color-updated-clockwork-recovery-bootable-sd/)
Make sure you upgrade to latest Clockworkmod RomManager!

RomManager can now push the recovery kernel. No need to manually install via CWM or ADB! Flash from RomManager and rock and roll.

Q: Why should I upgrade?
This official version of 3.0.0.6 has options to support both ext3 and ext4 ROMs which menas no more of this swapping back and forth between different versions of CWM.

This also should fix issues with the 1.1.0 version of u-boot.bin. Some with this version may experience that your NookColor will always boot back into RomManager. This is now fixed.
Q: But I already have CWM 3.0.0.6. I am good right?
No. There has been a lot of unofficial builds of RomManager 3.0.0.6 to help users out, but they miss the additions above.

When in doubt, flash from rom manager!

I want to install it manually

Sure no problem:
Download the following files:
From either a rooted rom or clockwork recovery issue the following commands via adb (usb)

adb shell busybox remount / -o re,remount
adb shell busbbox mkdir /boot
adb shell busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /boot
adb push recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-encore.img /boot/uRecRam
adb push kernel /boot/uRecImg
adb shell busybox umount /boot

Q: I used RomManager to install CWM but now i can't use backup or restore
It seems there may be an issue when installing CWM from RomManager with the kernel. Please use the instructions above to manually install the recovery kernel (required adb).

I will work with koush to get this fixes asap
Q: When I select my device there are two different entries. One for 'NookColor' and one for 'NookColor (old)'

Quick answer:
Don't use the old one. Always use the new one. Eventually 'NookColor (old)' will go away.

Long Answer:
Sorry for the confusion. In the CM7 project we renamed the device from nookcolor to encore. This was done for a number of reasons but it means that there are two different "devices" for rommanager since CWM was ported before CM7 and the device name

nookcolor = NookColor (old)

encore = NookColor

The 'NookColor (old)' has known issues and will not be supported at all. DO NOT USE THIS VERSION. No matter what ROM you are using NookColor will work correctly.

Q: This manual stuff is hard. Can't CWM just update itself?
Yes it can and it just took the right man to create the update.zip that updates CWM. Thanks to MrMuffin there is one now.

cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip- md5: d7a550d683e54732bcb55eff24ada704
cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip

Place onto your sdcard and flash like you would a rom and reboot back into recovery! Please give MrMuffin thanks if you find this useful!

If you are wondering how you can update CWM from CMW? It's easy really. CWM is two parts: a kernel and a ramdisk. Both are fully loaded into memory which means that you can write over the the copies stored on disk from those running in memory!
TL;DR: If you use RomManager go upgrade it in RomManager NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Can I not just update this through the market? The post on xda dev made it sound complicated to update... I'm obviously a newb with this stuff. Any problem with unistalling rim manager with ti backup and installing the new one via the market?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yes, you can update ROM Manager via the market, but that's just the app. This refers to the other part which is the built-in recovery that ROM Manager links to. You want to update ROM Manager via the market first, then follow the threads instructions to update the CWR recovery from v3.0.0.5 to v3.0.0.6

guthrien

Feb 25, 2011
This is nice timing since I just rooted my Nook today. However, even with the new CWR, I get errors when trying to backup. At first it said it couldn't mount /System so I removed CWR per another helpful members zip file. I re-installed using this version and now when I attempt to backup it says it can't mount /Cache. What this adds up to is no backup of a fresh root. I'm running a 1.0.1 system with 1.1 sideloaded and a 1000ghz clock. Any tips?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Now it will be very easy to install CM7 builds I guess !

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
This is nice timing since I just rooted my Nook today. However, even with the new CWR, I get errors when trying to backup. At first it said it couldn't mount /System so I removed CWR per another helpful members zip file. I re-installed using this version and now when I attempt to backup it says it can't mount /Cache. What this adds up to is no backup of a fresh root. I'm running a 1.0.1 system with 1.1 sideloaded and a 1000ghz clock. Any tips?

There are some issues with CWR and 1.1.0 if not installed and used very precisely. First thing you should do is use the 'How to Remove Clockwork Recovery' thread so you can begin from a clean slate. Then you want to install ROM Manager from the market (if you haven't already); and follow the instructions in Rico's 'How to Install/Use Clowckwork Recovery...' thread and be sure to follow the steps exactly. (Specifically the step where you open ROM manager, flash clockworkmod recovery, THEN POWER OFF NORMALLY using the power button, then power on again, THEN open ROM manager and select Reboot to Recovery) If you don't power off completely between the flashing and reboot to recovery you will mess up the recovery. Once you have ROM manager v3.0.1.0 app installed with ClockWorkRecovery v3.0.0.5 running, you should be able to completely follow Rico's steps to do a backup and be set.

Hold off on 3.0.0.6 until it is a simple flashable upgrade.

jmemmott

Nov 21, 2010
Hold off on 3.0.0.6 until it is a simple flashable upgrade.

Unfortunately, by the fate of timing, some of us who are just starting and do not know any better are getting caught up in this. I was following Rico's 'How to Install/Use Clowckwork Recovery...' but when it comes to the CWR step, it no longer follows what happens. Rom manager ignored the 3.0.0.5 version on the SD card and installed 3.0.0.6 as a download.

After thrashing around due to my ignorance for a while, I found a suggestion from someone else to reflash with ROM Manager but use the Nook(old) option not the current Nook one. That reverted to 3.0.0.5 and everything went smoothly from there. I now have my backup.

In any case I do appreciate the effort that goes into these guides and forums.

guthrien

Feb 25, 2011
jmemmott, your experience fits mine exactly. I'm going to do this again following the new advice directly. Obviously I've rushed ahead in ignorance but I don't think I can go through resetting everything one more time, haha. I also very much appreciate all the info here. I'm going slow and careful from here.

"There are some issues with CWR and 1.1.0 if not installed and used very precisely. First thing you should do is use the 'How to Remove Clockwork Recovery' thread so you can begin from a clean slate. Then you want to install ROM Manager from the market (if you haven't already); and follow the instructions in Rico's 'How to Install/Use Clowckwork Recovery...' thread and be sure to follow the steps exactly. (Specifically the step where you open ROM manager, flash clockworkmod recovery, THEN POWER OFF NORMALLY using the power button, then power on again, THEN open ROM manager and select Reboot to Recovery) If you don't power off completely between the flashing and reboot to recovery you will mess up the recovery. Once you have ROM manager v3.0.1.0 app installed with ClockWorkRecovery v3.0.0.5 running, you should be able to completely follow Rico's steps to do a backup and be set."

Will do. It's quite possible I missed a power down despite my efforts and I know I didn't use "Nook (old)" with the older CWR. Thank you for responding.

Update: I chose 'old' model and everything worked perfectly. Thanks.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yea, the "Nook Color (old)" is needed unless you are running a CM7 based ROM. Rico, can we update the OP in your How-To thread?

faceman66 said:
FYI - To anyone using the new ROM Manager (v3.0.1.0)

I only bring this up because some folks over at another forum I read had some issues with the app and I haven't seen this written out anywhere so I am throwing it up here:

When you install ROM Manager (v3.0.1.0) and select the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" option you will be presented with a list of devices. (For most of us Nook Color users this is new, we used to only have one option) There are two (2) nook color options: 1. "Nook Color (old)" and 2. "Nook Color"; what isn't clear is what the difference is between the two.

1. Nook Color (old) - flashes CWR v3.0.0.5 - which is used for all ext3 based ROMs (including but not limited to all stock B&N, Froyo, HC, etc)

2. Nook Color - flashes CWR v3.0.0.6 - which is used for all ext4 based ROMs (at this point anything CM7 based, including some phiremod builds)

Flashing the wrong recovery for your device will result in all sorts of various issues and problems. However, using a 'Remove CWR' zip off a bootable SD will always fix the issue. :) Also, it seems that most of the problems don't prevent booting so you can always load up ROM Manager and flash a new recovery over the wrong one.

Hope this helps some folks, as doing this resolved my earlier issue of my ROM manager still showing v3.0.0.5 as the latest even though it wasn't.

EDIT AGAIN: I might have been wrong, so I am waiting for confirmation to determine if what I stated above is accurate or not...

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Good grief. OP updated.

my EVO still has 2.5 :)

Last edited: