Removing Cell Standby for Kyros MID8125-4G, plus minor touch screen question

ooghost1oo

Dec 25, 2011
Just received on of these as a gift for Christmas, and I've been looking ALL over for a way to disable the 'cell phone' aspect of it to increase battery life. 'Cell Standby' using the majority of battery power.

- I know someone else just put up a post recently asking how to do this with a 7" version, and people said to 'root it', but it looks like there's no way to 'root' this model? Looking around the tablet's harddrive/memory, either directly on the device or on PC, I can't find any APKs having to do with telephony.

- And while putting it in 'Airplane mode', it looks like there's no way to manually turn on the Wifi while Airplane mode is on.

Has anyone successfully removed the cell phone stuff from this model? Or found an app to disable it somehow?

Also, this touch screen is driving me crazy. Is there a trick to scrolling that won't accidentally select something I'm scrolling through? It happens all the time.

ooghost1oo

Dec 25, 2011
Yeah, already saw that one. Doesn't work with this model. Has ANYONE been through this? Looks like info about the 8125 in particular is a bit obscure...

JayW

Dec 23, 2011
I think that the simple "wifi turn on turn off" app in the Amazon app store will do what you want . I tried it, and it indeed seems to force the wi fi on in airplane mode.

tara8595

Dec 27, 2011
THANK YOU!! Works also for 7022, finally a way to save battery from the nefarious cell-phone app without rooting! Also, I got mine from Android Market. Simple enough. Yay!

luv4gadgets

Jan 8, 2012
Wifi On/Off widget works on the Coby Kyros 7012 also - in Airplane Mode. Great solution without having to root the device. Thanks so much for this tip! It's been so annoying that the tablet needs constant recharging and the battery draining so quickly from "cell standby.."

ooghost1oo

Dec 25, 2011
Don't get too excited about it. I've been trying it this way since, well, 12-27, and cell-standby is still using the same amount of battery power. It's just an illusion. Cell stand-by is still operating with Airplane Mode and Wifi On/Off both enabled.

Any other ideas?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
IMHO cell usage doesn't change anything simply because the table doesn't have any cell phone circuitry, so no power is being used actually. It's like a "loopback" interface that goes on when WiFi is off, so disabling it will remove it from the battery usage page, but it won't change anything related to battery performance.

If it really disturbs you, I think I have read something on a thread related to another Kyros model (I think it was 7012 or 7022) that explained how to disable it without rooting, probably you can find it using the forum search...

Regarding rooting, did you try the latest SuperOneClick? First use "shell root", then full root. Look for other threads about rooting 7125/7127/8127/1125/1126 as they should work on 8125 as well.

About the touchscreen: resistive digitizers suck, I don't think you can make it any better.

Last edited: