Review on Pipo M9 Quad Core RK3188 Tablet PC 10.1 inch IPS Screen Bluetooth

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
About half a month ago, the quad core tablet PCs apply with A31 chip burst out like torrents. The famous processor supplier Rockchip also released its new quad core chip, the RK3188. Fortunately, today we get a real item running with this chip, the Pipo M9.
Operating SystemAndroid 4.1
Screen10.1inch IPS capacitive touch screen 1280*800
CPURockchip RK3188 quad core,1.8GHz
RAM2GB DDR3
ROM16GB
Card extend32GB MAX
CameraFront 2.0MP rear 5.0MP with AF
HDMIYes
Dimensions266.6*176.6*9.9mm
Net weight580g
Battery capacity7800mAh
First let’s have a look what M9 looks like.

Like most tablet PCs, the border of Pipo M9 is very slim.

The back cover is all metal with drawing process, it provide a good touch feeling.

There’s one LED flashlight locates on the right. It helps to enhance the image quality in dark conditions.

The speaker is stereo, locates on both side of the joint gap. During actual use, the volume is very loud and clear.

Front camera, 2.0MP with light sensor.

Back camera, 5.0MP.
Next four photos are four sides of Pipo M9.

All I/O and buttons locates on the top side of M9, they are micro SD card slot, 3.5mm earphone jack, micro USB HOST port, micro USB data port, mini HDMI port, 2.5mm DC 5V/2.5A input, power button and home button. Notice that the data sync and USB HOST function been separated into two micro USB ports.

Accessories, manual, earphone, charger, OTG cable, USB cable.

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
As we know, the RK3188 applies with the latest 28nm processing with the most stable Cortex-A9 quad core architecture. It embedded an enhanced Mali-400MP GPU with quad core processing unit and running frequency of 533MHz. In addition, the new Rockchip RK3188 can be overclocked to max. 1.8GHz. So what is the actual performance of RK3188. Next, let’s do some benchmark on it.
Compared with Allwinner A31 and Actions ATM7029, the RK3188 uses Cortex-A9 architecture which makes it performs much better than both of them. As the purpose of Cortex-A5 and Cortex-A7 architecture is developed for assistant processor for lower power consumption. The performance of them is worse much than Cortex-A9 base chips. Below, it is a compare table of these three quad core chips.
ProcessorRK3188A31ATM7029
ArchitectureQuad core cortex-A9Quad core cortex-A7Quad core cortex-A5
Processing28nm40nm40nm
Frequency (max.)1.8GHz1.5GHz1.2GHz
Antutu score18000+12000+11000+
Antutu benchmark

According to the result, we see the performance of Pipo M9 is very powerful. The RAM scores 3208, we can infer that the data transmission of it is very excellent. The CPU integer/ float point score are also not bad, it proofs RK3188′s powerful calculating ability. 2D/3D graphics score states RK3188 can render more exquisite image.

Through the Antutu score chart we see M9 surpasses the most popular Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3, even the latest Nexus 4 been beaten by it.
NenaMark 2

The Pipo M9 rates 59.6FPS in this test, it is the second quad core tablet that reaches the limit of Nenamark2, the other one is Onda V812.
Quadrant Advanced

In the result, M9 runs at 5039, it ranked at the first position. In 3D test, it also reaches 60FPS.

Linpack

Single thread result at 60.661

Multi-thread result at 151.135
According to the result, M9 works much better in multi-thread processing, it will easily handle multi-task smoothly.
Nbench
It includes three aspects, MEM, INT, FP. MEM refers to the performance of CPU bus, Cache and storage. INT refers to integer processing ability. FP reflects the double-precision flops processing speed. The test time is about 10 minutes. All of the three tests perform good.

Vellamo

Pipo M9 did a better optimization to web browser, the total score rates 1534. The software optimization of M9 really brings the strong hardware into play.
Benchmark result
Test appAntutuNenaMark2Quadrant AdvancedLinpack SingleLinpack MultiNbenchVellamo
Result1810259.6503960.661151.1355.164
6.299 1.922

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
After the benchmark, let’s see how it performs in conventional use.

When you rename the firmware pack to “Update.zip”, put it in the root directory of your memory card and insert into M9, it will recognize the update pack and asks whether to update the firmware. That makes the firmware update more easily and conveniently.

Desktop of Pipo M9.

Apps drawer, we can see that Pipo M9 applies the customized UI.

Google play, youtube and facebook runs perfect on it.
The following two pictures are video screenshots, both video are 1080p, in different formats. They both can be played without delay and lag.

10.1 inch screen with 1280*800 resolution provide a better visual experience. The picture is clear and the view angle is also very wide, nearly 178 degree.
As they said the running speed of Mali-400MP4 in RK3188 be increase to 533MHz, let’s see how it deals with 3D games.

These two pictures above are game screenshots. This is a game that needs high performance configuration, or it can’t be ran smoothly on the machine. Fortunately, the performance of Pipo M9 is enough to run this “Most Wanted”. The enhanced Mali-400MP4 reveals the highest visual effects of “Most Wanted”, the clear reflection on the glass of the car, the motion blur effect when it boost up had been presented vividly.
As the first RK3188 quad core tablet PC, Pipo M9 performs very excellent, it surpasses both A31 and ATM7029 based tablets. It’s definitely the most powerful quad core tablet PC at present.

kingwahwah

Feb 2, 2013
Thank you for the review. Very interested.

I have been looking for months as I need 20 tablets.

I wish all reviewers would show a photo taken with camera. I have only found one review (for Pipo M8) that actually showed an example.

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
All the review pictures are screenshots by software, that makes the benchmark details looks more clearly.
Thank you for the review. Very interested.

I have been looking for months as I need 20 tablets.

I wish all reviewers would show a photo taken with camera. I have only found one review (for Pipo M8) that actually showed an example.

jijojamie

Oct 15, 2012
This is the one. The best so far in benchmark from china. I would really love to make mine. How is the front and back camera quality like? what about the battery stats on stress.

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Maybe next time, if we get the another sample device, we can take it out and capture some photos. Since the manufacturer only gives us a few hours to play the tablet, we have no time to test the battery.
This is the one. The best so far in benchmark from china. I would really love to make mine. How is the front and back camera quality like? what about the battery stats on stress.