[Review] Trio Stealth Pro 7C Internet Tablet

jlr1001

Jul 31, 2012
I was able to get CM9 nightliy's working using the LY-F1 compatibility zip...

Hey Goes,

Thanks for pointing us in this direction. I managed to get the latest CM9 nightly working on my Trio Stealth, but my screen's auto-rotation aren't working, nor are the three capacitive buttons.

Are you having the same issues? If not, what CM9 build are you using?

Thanks!

Goes

May 31, 2011
I am using the build available on xda developers, using the third party compatibility zip, everything working.

bgalakazam

Aug 11, 2012
I bought a Trio Stealth Pro 7" for my grandparents abroad. I found out there is no market/play afterwards. Within a day I installed the files from Goes and it downgraded me from 4.0.4 to 4.0.3. Also, text from under the apps icons disappeared. But the market is working.

GOGOANDROID

Aug 10, 2012
^ thanks for reply Goes. Here is what I did to my Tablet. I download a LYF1 Allspeed Image to recover my tablet since it was stuck at Android logo. Everything was fine but my wifi somehow didnt work. Then I downgraded it to 2.3.4 LYF1 firmware. My wifi is working fine. This morning I just exchanged to a new one. Goes could you show step by step how did you install [rom] Unofficial CyanogenMod 9 for many AllWinner A10 tablets - xda-developers to your tablet???

Goes

May 31, 2011
First install clockwork recovery from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp4ev9cnp7joq3y/CWM%20Recovery%205%20ICS.zip
There are a couple of methods explained in the zip on how to install it, the second one worked for me.
Download the CM9 file from xda, the gaps, and the third party compatibility zip for the ly-f1, install in the same order and you should be fine. Make sure you have a backup before any attempt, so you can go back if needed.

jlr1001

Jul 31, 2012
Hey All,

Here's where I am...

First off, thanks Goes for constantly chiming in. Your help has been spot on.

K. I'm on my third tablet from Mach Speed, and from what I can tell they're basically buying lots from their supplier(s). I'm going to give the benefit of doubt and say that all the units meet the advertised specs. This is why, if you send a unit back to Mach Speed you'll probably have to wait for them to receive a new unit from overseas.

So... 1) I've seen units from two different lots/suppliers. I should have records of the lot numbers from my first two, so I'll check and see if they're from a similar batch. My first two units, I think, came from the same lot, or sister lots. The way I can tell them from my third one is A) the micro-sd slot on the first two were on the bottom edge of my unit, with the hdmi and usb ports, jacks, etc. On my current unit the micro-sd slot is alone on one of the unit's sides. B) When plugging in the first two units, I didn't have any "physical" feedback. A blue charging light shows up on my current one. C) Google Play was already installed and working on my latest unit. D) I was able to do the CM9 install on my second and third units, but I couldn't get drivers for the accelerameter working on the second unit. As Goes mentioned to me in a previous post, with my current on the CM9 upgrade worked fine with the third-party lyf1 compatibility file. E) Finally, the build on my latest unit feels more solid than the other two.

I've seen elsewhere where other people have said that the units with the blue charging lights are best to get, and I agree.

I don't know about my current unit, which doesn't have a lot number on the case, btw, so I might be screwed if I need to send it back to Mach Speed, but the first two units had some heating issues while charging, depending on how I was doing it, and also during video play. I'm wondering if this didn't cause hardware issues with my first two.

The only constant between my last two units is that I get the Sleep of Death issue with CM9. Goes, did you have this problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm sure there are plenty of people reading who feel stumped at times. Just follow the steps Goes has given, and--assuming your unit is in fact an A10--then you'll be fine.

-J.L.

I had to return my first two because of the

Goes

May 31, 2011
J.L.
You are right about Mach speed having different batches from different manufacturers. The first one I had was similar to the first two you had, the last one is similar to the one you now have. One more thing worth mentioning, the quality of the screen on the newer batches are much better than the old ones, I had the chance to compare them side by side, and there is a good difference.
Occasionally I get the freeze issue using CM9, try changing the CPU governor and see which setting works best for you, don't overclock over 1200though.
One issue with the newer models, don't know if you have or not, when changing the unit using the AC adapter, the touch screen goes crazy at times, charging the unit using a USB cable doesn't make the screen act up, but it charges slower than the AC, but the device remains usable during charging.

kevmodee

Aug 17, 2012
First install clockwork recovery from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp4ev9cnp7joq3y/CWM Recovery 5 ICS.zip
There are a couple of methods explained in the zip on how to install it, the second one worked for me.
Download the CM9 file from xda, the gaps, and the third party compatibility zip for the ly-f1, install in the same order and you should be fine. Make sure you have a backup before any attempt, so you can go back if needed.

Hi Goes,

I've followed you all the way from TigerDirect.

My wifi did work on the original Trio with the SD card slot on the back side.
I have tried 3 different nightly builds from XDA, with the 3rd party ly-f1 installing them as the instructions stated. I have tried with both Method 1 and 2 of the clockwork recovery install steps.

In most cases everything is working except wifi. Did you have issues with wifi not turning on at all in all you attempts? I am starting to think maybe my wifi is actually broken.

Goes

May 31, 2011
I rarely had problems with WIFI not turning on right away, or not connecting, but this is easily fixed by turning it off and on again. If this problem is not solved, I would go and try it on a different network. Also I would check other WIFI devices on my network and see how they perform.

clothesmaker

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks "Goes" for the link to google play. It opens and works fine. But Now I have an issue with GPS which is a problem because i need it to run google maps and my square :(
Does anyone have any Ideas for a fix. So far I like the unit hope I can work this out

jlr1001

Jul 31, 2012
Hey All,

I thought I'd report back. I was having the dreaded "sleep of death" issue, but Goes' suggestion to bump up my minimum cpu frequency worked. However, I was having crazy resource issues with CM9, so I went over to AKOP.

That mod worked fairly well--I loved the amount of customization it allowed--in particular, I think being able to customize the ram useage was a big plus, since my tab would slow to a crawl if I tried to do too much.

Now, I understand that these aren't power machines, but even my smart phone seemed to perform better than this tablet. At the very least, my phone performed as I expected, where as my tablet would have problems. Often I'd be running the same app on both machines, so I knew something was up.

I went back to CM9, but decided to play with memory/cpu customizations. Here are my current settings:

Min CPU: 168 mhz
Max CPU: 1104 mhz (I was doing ok with 1152, but that seemed to be the stability threshold)
Governor: Interactive
Set on boot: checked (obviously)

Memory Management

Allow purging of assets: checked
Kernel samepage merging: checked

I'm not using zRam

CM9 doesn't directly allow you to change your RAM thresholds, which I think is key. I tried using Advanced Task Killer, but never felt it did much. Eventually I happened upon MinFreeManager, which is freely available in the Play store. This app lets you set Android's native ram thresholds. I set my profile level to Aggressive, which basically is less forgiving of Ghost apps that clearly aren't doing anything, but remain in memory in case you need to run them again.

I think the default cutoff for them is 30 or 40 mb, which means that your system would wait until you only had that much available ram before it auto kills those ghost apps. It's obvious, though, that that's way too little RAM, and you'd have been tearing your hair out by that point.

The Aggressive profile sets this threshold to ~96 mb. After apply the new profile, and setting these changes to apply at boot, I always have around 100mb of RAM free, with no glaring downside.

Okay, sorry for the long post, but I felt this info could really help someone down the line. Here's what I'm proposing. Let's create a new thread where we can list/track our performance mods, with the end result of finding that sweet spot where the Trio Stealth Pros are really humming at the edge of their capabilities.

Edited to Add link to performance thread:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ch-speed-trio-stealth-pro-7-a.html#post235737

-J.L.

Last edited:

TNTHUDFL

Jul 25, 2013
does anyone have any idea if i can use this as a phone? also and if so how do i transfer my number from my boost mobile phone to the tablet? can i also transfer my contacts and calendar to? and what about my favortes from my laptop? can i print from this tablet to?