rockchip 2918 tablet with no recovery cant get windows to reconize

asmd2020

Oct 5, 2012
Hello, I have a Proscan PLT8031 tablet. Same as this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tifying-if-my-tablet-clone-if-i-can-root.html one from user Loganone.

I have managed to root it using Android root 1.0, this was the only program I could find that would reconize the tablet in windows. But I do not have a recovery mode on the tablet and everyone keeps telling me to try to connect it while in recovery. All I got from the time I rooted it was a black screen, but when using root toolbox and booting into recovery I just have a dead robot with an ! inside a red triangle. I'm tring to install Gapps but it wont install the apps needed when trying to install on the tablet from explorer (application not installed) and I can install the update.zip from recovery....but I have none.

I can also try from the rockchip batch tool but it wont reconize the tablet...please help me before I break this thing.

Pennam

Oct 29, 2012
Hey asmd, I see you found the same root I used and found out some info. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

It sounds lie you didn't complete the root. One of the auto reboots doesn't fully boot, it just gets dimly lit from the edges. Are you saying you haven't had it fully up and running since that attempt?

Did you use the reset button on the back at all? I know when I was trying to find out how to flash (more out of curiosity) I saw the same dead robot. Using a paper clip I pushed the reset and held it in while hitting power and it turned off. I turned it back on and all was fine but as I said, sounds like you lost some of your boot protocols by not finishing the root. I have heard all rockchips have different recovery startups and all utilize the paperclip reset button while holding different buttons.

I would guess if you can at least get it to the point it will slightly light around the edges you could use any rk2918 full install zips or batches.

asmd2020

Oct 5, 2012
Hey asmd, I see you found the same root I used and found out some info. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

It sounds lie you didn't complete the root. One of the auto reboots doesn't fully boot, it just gets dimly lit from the edges. Are you saying you haven't had it fully up and running since that attempt?

Did you use the reset button on the back at all? I know when I was trying to find out how to flash (more out of curiosity) I saw the same dead robot. Using a paper clip I pushed the reset and held it in while hitting power and it turned off. I turned it back on and all was fine but as I said, sounds like you lost some of your boot protocols by not finishing the root. I have heard all rockchips have different recovery startups and all utilize the paperclip reset button while holding different buttons.

I would guess if you can at least get it to the point it will slightly light around the edges you could use any rk2918 full install zips or batches.

I think it is rooted, I used a program to check and it said it was rooted. My problem is, I want to install Google play but I cant manually install the files, it tells me Application not installed. So I can also install through the recovery (its a update.zip) but I dont have a recovery to choose that option. I have had it in the mode with the dim lights, not sure what to press alone with the reset I found it by trying to root it. I found a program but it didnt root it, just got it into the dimmed light mode. Anyway I was hoping I could install Clockworkmod (I fould a version for Rockchip 2918) but I cant figure out how to install it, being that I have no Recovery menu with options....and honestly I have no clue how to use the rockchip tool. I finally found the correct drivers for Windows 7 64 and now it gets recognized by the rockchip tool. But apparently I need a new file to flash the rom or something and I cant find any custom roms for this damn thing.

I bought it last month while I was on vacation back home in America, now I'm back in Germany and cant take it back to buy something worth the money.

Pennam

Oct 29, 2012
I think it is rooted, I used a program to check and it said it was rooted. My problem is, I want to install Google play but I cant manually install the files, it tells me Application not installed. So I can also install through the recovery (its a update.zip) but I dont have a recovery to choose that option. I have had it in the mode with the dim lights, not sure what to press alone with the reset I found it by trying to root it. I found a program but it didnt root it, just got it into the dimmed light mode. Anyway I was hoping I could install Clockworkmod (I fould a version for Rockchip 2918) but I cant figure out how to install it, being that I have no Recovery menu with options....and honestly I have no clue how to use the rockchip tool. I finally found the correct drivers for Windows 7 64 and now it gets recognized by the rockchip tool. But apparently I need a new file to flash the rom or something and I cant find any custom roms for this damn thing.

I bought it last month while I was on vacation back home in America, now I'm back in Germany and cant take it back to buy something worth the money.
I would think since you used android root 1.0 you have the ability to do this in a manual way similar to described in the link from the other thread explaining what to do with gapps, but it would take more work than flashing a zip and it isn't simple.

In the android root folder if you navigate the the files folder you will see adb. With adb you can use line commands to "push" files from your computer to the device. To use adb yourself, hold shift key and right click in that folder then choose open command window here. The letters adb typed before the actual commands tells your computer to use that file to execute the command.

Also, the batch file (ICS_Root_Unlocker.bat) uses automated adb commands. If you right click the file batch file you will see edit which will open the line commands the author used. This will show you what the line commands were and possibly help you learn how to use adb. All lines that say "adb shell" are actually telling the device itself to do those commands. Once you are comfortable with adb by practicing using adb commands (such as test pushing files that won't hurt anything) you might even be able to insert them into that batch file and run it again.

I am guessing the screen with the dim lights around the edges is where this would come into play because android hasn't actually booted yet but you may need to push those files at bootloader and I haven't found a way to communicate with the device at that point because apparently rockchip uses a different language than adb and fastboot at bootload.

If you decide to try this and it works let me know. I don't feel the need for google play but I wouldn't mind having it. I only got this thing because I am the "computer guy" for my friends and family and I'm starting to get android questions so I thought this device could be a learning tool and knowing if my theory works will go a long way.

Pennam

Oct 29, 2012
I had enough time to try altering the android root 1.0 to include gapps. Successful. ASMD, I will see if there is a way for me to send you the file here. If not PM me some info to send it to you. I will make you aware I hear they have country filters on the play store so you might not be able to use it anyway but if american devices you see in Germany work, this should too.

I have also read, if you have used any google apps on a device, trying to install this will lock all those apps and become useless. You may only want to do this if you want to do a factory reset. In the case of some of these rockchips, that is in your settings menu.

If anyone else has access to an upload host I will send it to you to put up for all to use. 84 MB before zipping.

Edit - I found a free host without having to sign up http://www.filedropper.com/icsrootwithgapps

Last edited:

lonewolfsc

Jan 8, 2013
Just did the same thing. Now tablet only boots to a blank screen with dim lights around border. Also. still having problems with Win 7 seeing drivers.

Suggestions on how to fix it please let me know.

Pennam

Oct 29, 2012
Just did the same thing. Now tablet only boots to a blank screen with dim lights around border. Also. still having problems with Win 7 seeing drivers.

Suggestions on how to fix it please let me know.
You aren't being clear. More than one procedure is discussed here. What precisely were you doing? Did you try to push the reset button on the back? Are you able to get it booted and use it at all or are you getting stuck at some point?

The device will be recognized by windows as 1 of 3 different devices depending on what you are doing. Plug it in during normal mode and it will be seen 2 drives, the system drive and the sd card (which you shouldn't need to install drivers for that on windows 7). Turn on debugging and that is seen as a different device. I think I told you how to get those drivers already. When you boot into recovery mode that is actually a different device but I think it uses the same drivers as debugging. And remember, ADB in android_root_1.0 is the only ADB I found that recognizes this device (unless you want to re-write a part of a different ADB, which I don't see the need since that one works).

So again, be more clear on what you have done and your current status. I know I have actually done everything I have told people about on this board and mine still works. If you are semi-bricked, you will have to tell me what you did different.