[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042 - Rooted, Google Apps, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
Disclaimer: Due to users continuously bricking their tablets by attempting to use this ROM, the link to the ROM has been removed from the post. Users are encouraged to use the methods presented in any of the following threads to root this tablet.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/42314-9742-stock-custom-rom.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi i'm posting this rom, based on the 8042 firmware dump posted by Shinisuryu , it is rooted, and loaded with google apps and of course google play.

I also fixed the search function which crashed, i had to remove GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk wich was causing problems, this solution should work for the other roms, just install titanum backup and delete it.

Downloads:

Link removed.

Flashing instructions(taken from steev):
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the cfw_8042_ics_root_gapps_v01.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Write if you run into problems, i have been testing the rom for a couple of days before posting, so it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

mos

May 24, 2012
Hi Sokar311, Thank you very much for posting this Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042. I followed the procedure exactly and my Coby 8042 is rooted now. It works perfectly. Thanks to all who have put together their time and efforts to help the Coby users.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
Hi Sokar311, Thank you very much for posting this Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042. I followed the procedure exactly and my Coby 8042 is rooted now. It works perfectly. Thanks to all who have put together their time and efforts to help the Coby users.

Thanks, what initially drove me to make this rom is that i messed up my 8042 /system trying to load google apps, after that i looked everywhere for a rom or a dump, a couple days after user Shinisuryu posted his 8042 dumps, and finally managed to make the rom (after finding out how to), hope it stays working pefectly, if you or anyone find any issues please let me know so i can fix them, so far i have'nt found any issues on mine.

Thanks, hope you enjoy as i do.

Wingdinger

May 28, 2012
Sokar,
Thanks, I had been looking for a way to root my new coby 8042, to get google Play market. First found this forum, then your thread. Just tried to get the rom from sugarsync, but is says that it is no longer available. If you could repost I would be most grateful.

Thanks again

s2powell

May 28, 2012
Thank you for your help.. I will be looking forward to the new post. I am ready to go I Just need the file "cfw_8042_ics_root_gapps_v01.img" in order to continue.

gmila84

May 17, 2012
Please, answear me something: this version of Android is still treating the real (and physical) SD Card like "extsd"??

It's remains the ICeCream (4.0) Version of Android?

Thanks for any answear.

Last edited:

dymedog

May 29, 2012
Hi, yes i have'nt modified that yet, yes it remains the same version.
First off thank you for your time and work- I realize the commitment you made to create this rom. I am hoping for a little more info on the rom. Is it the exact same version of ICS that is preinstalled (with the root, g play ect added) or is it different. Also are there any known issues (wifi, camera, ect). Also I have seen some comments about the 8042 having an issue with the sd card. Can anyone explain that issue to me. I have the 8042 on its way and I want to have everything I need ready to get it up to par when it arrives. At the same time I dont want to risk bricking or installing a rom with issues and not be able to revert to stock. Thanks again for all of your hard work!

gmila84

May 17, 2012
First off thank you for your time and work- I realize the commitment you made to create this rom. I am hoping for a little more info on the rom. Is it the exact same version of ICS that is preinstalled (with the root, g play ect added) or is it different. Also are there any known issues (wifi, camera, ect). Also I have seen some comments about the 8042 having an issue with the sd card. Can anyone explain that issue to me. I have the 8042 on its way and I want to have everything I need ready to get it up to par when it arrives. At the same time I dont want to risk bricking or installing a rom with issues and not be able to revert to stock. Thanks again for all of your hard work!

Man, this ICs Android OS, takes the flash memory, split into two, one for the system and another like a sdcard! So the real microsd card is called "extsd" by the system. It's tottaly a crap. So, gemrb for exemple, won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.