[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Disclaimer: Due to users continuously bricking their tablets by attempting to use this ROM, the link to the ROM has been removed from the post. Users are encouraged to use the methods presented in any of the following threads to root this tablet.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/42314-9742-stock-custom-rom.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users, it has been reported that you need to use LiveSuite 1.0.7: LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros MID9742 - Rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Last edited by a moderator:

Jscuda70

May 7, 2012
Maybe someone could make a video, because apparently I'm too dense to get this... I have the mid9742, I have downloaded the Live suite 1.0.7 I have the cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip I followed the directions above, but I guess I cannot get the tablet into update mode using this method, unless I'm doing it wrong, but it seems pretty straight forward... I guess I can make a video of what I'm doing and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? any help would be appreciated thank you.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
---- THE WAY TO MUCH DETAILED VERSION ----

NOTE:
YOU NEED NO (Zero) COMPUTER SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS (DON'T BE AFAID)
WHAT YOU WILL DO: Download ROM File, Download LiveSuite program, Hold 2 buttons and Plug in the USB Cord. Thats all

--- @Steev
posted the custom ROM for MID9742 with Google Play Store pre-installed

---
@Steev posted the custom ROM for MID7042 with Google Play Store pre instaled
[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

HOW TO USE THE LIVESUIT PROGRAM TO INSTALL (FLASH) THE CUSTOM ROM FROM YOUR PC TO YOUR TABLET

Use your PC to Download the ROM you plan to install. Unzip the file containing the ROM. A new Folder Appears. (ROM inside)

Click here to:
Download LiveSuite v1.07 (Save Yourself Many Hedaches, Download this version)
Thanks Patriotswrath
Unzip the LiveSuit folder --- Open Folder LiveSuitPack_v1.07 Folder --- Find and Click the file ( LiveSuitPack_v1.07.exe )

In the same folder:
*** Find the USB Driver Installers: drvinstaller_X86.exe OR drvinstaller_X64.exe OR drvinstaller_IA64.exe ( Try to Install All) Only one will likely install.

Restart your computer PC

Go to the LiveSuit Folder. Start LiveSuit (click on LiveSuit.exe file) A Window Pops-up ---
NOTE: If the little PopUp window disappears - click on the spinning Icon In System Tray Below (PopUp window re-appears)
--- A smaller window appers that reads "Welcome To Live Suit". Click "NO" to close the window. ---

Click the Square cube [ ] icon on the left side of LiveSuit window - Select the location of the New ROM ( .img) you downloaded earlier.

UPDATE:
Power Down Your Tablet (Your tablet must be off during theLiveSuit process. )

During the LiveSuit process, you are listening to make sure your computer PC has Detected your tablet (a Little BUMP sound)
So turn the volume UP on your computer PC to make sure you hear the little BUMP sound.

NOTE:--- If tablet starts during the next step it won't work. You messed up. Just LongHold Power Button to Shut Down (Power Off) you Tablet

With Power off on Tablet: PressHold Volume+ Button ----- Plug USB into Tablet (Still holding Volume + button--- Tap Power Button a few times 5 to 10
(EXAMPLE: If you are Right handed: Hold Volume+ with Right Hand --- Plug USB in with Left Hand --- Tap the Power button 5 -10 times with Left Hand)

When you hear a little Bump sound on you PC --- Release both Buttons Immediately!

The little BUMP sound means SUCCESS!!! --- The Flashing process will start.

A PopUp Window Appears -- Choose Format "YES" Are you sure: "YES" Format

The flashing process starts. Takes about 3 minutes to complete ... Leave the USB plugged in

Your Tablet will Restart (Leave USB plugged In. ---- Takes 5 -10 mi
nutes to complete --- DeskTop appears on your Tablet --- (FINISHED !!!)

Unplug USB

Enter Gmail info. Log-in Enjoy -- Thanks Steev.

SITE ETIQUETTE: If Someone Provides Assistance To You --- Hit The Little "Thank You" Button At The Bottom Of The Post

DRIVER, DRIVER, DRIVER PROBLEMS :::::: Try installing these two programs to your PC. Seem to FIX many driver problems
( PDNet from HERE and //// MOTO Drivers from
HERE or from HERE

-------------------------------------------------
NOTE: @Jscuda70 was havinging problems with LiveSuit until he

"Ok got it fixed, I had to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers and reboot reboot pc thank you for your help.
"

[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Custom MID9742 ROM Bug Report:

1) Music Samples don't play in the Google Play Store.

Notice
-------------------------------------
No application can perform this action

2) I keep getting Security warnings when I go to reputable sites like Engadget, etc
Stock Google Browser (Not Dolphin HD)

Security Warning

-----------------------------------------
There are problems with the security certificate of this site

Last edited:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
May be a silly question but, are you powering down or just going into standby. I had this problem and finally realized I was just hitting the power button (standby) and not holding the button until the power off screen came up....just asking cause I did it.

mavermc

May 9, 2012
Hey, You say you fixed up location (which I believe because I think it worked with the browser) but does maps work? Play won't let me install it, says not compatible with my Samsung GT-P6210 (I have a MID9742 but I'm guessing after this custom rom that's how it reports it's self to the market) Would side loading it work if I found an APK somewhere?

Thanks for the great work with the rom, It's more stable, still not perfect but way better than before, I get less of those "has stopped responding would you like to force close)

korn

May 10, 2012
hello, thanks a lot to all who finally did root possible for this device !!! now its work perfectly, but as mavermc mentioned not all applications can be installed from Play market because incompatible with Samsung )) . Is it gonna be fixed in a future or it is another way around to install apps? I`ve got problem even with booking applikations even after trying download from web site.

One more question, my friend has Cyros MID8042 on Android 4 as well, can it be rooted using one of the present custom rom from 9742 or 7042 ?

Thanks again.

cuorerosso

May 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I installed the steev rom on my 9742 and after rebooting, the screen is inverted, the touch screen corresponds to the mirror (up-down/left-side) of the "visual" screen. Re-installing the stock rom provided by steev doesn't fix the problem

Has anyone reported the same problem?

Thanks in advance

PD: after some reading I've seen that it's possible that Coby uses 2 touch screen drivers......

Last edited:

kunger

May 11, 2012
This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users, it has been reported that you need to use LiveSuite 1.0.7: LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros MID9742 - Rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Steve,

I tried to flash my Coby MID7042 with your above instructions. It constantly crashes or for that matter doesn't even boot up. I just saw that it has an A8 processor. Is there any way to recover this or am I totally out of luck? If there is a way, would you kindly supply instructions?

Thanks much,

Kevin

cuorerosso

May 10, 2012
Steve,

I tried to flash my Coby MID7042 with your above instructions. It constantly crashes or for that matter doesn't even boot up. I just saw that it has an A8 processor. Is there any way to recover this or am I totally out of luck? If there is a way, would you kindly supply instructions?

Thanks much,

Kevin

hi Kevin,

have you tried with the specific rom prepared by steev for your tablet model? There is an specific thread for the 7042.

Regarding my screen problems, I tried to install the 7042 rom with the modified screen driver but the tablet didn't start (processor issues I suppose).

skristies

May 14, 2012
Hello everyone...

I did the process and is everthing working fine, except with videos. For some reason, I can´t play anymore AVI and WMV files, who play nicely on the stock image.

Any tips?

Regards!

SKristies

skristies

May 14, 2012
Ah, another problem... the skype that I use with the stock rom, when I use video calling, it boots the machine! With the Updated version from market, it don´t even logon.

other problems:
- the touchscreen is reacting much more slow.
- The memory usage is 100mb more (because gapps?)
- The version of video player is different from stock

-- Edited:

But if I put the build.prop from stock, the skype, memory and touch became normal.

Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.