[ROM] CyanogenMod - Android 2.2

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
The installation ain't easy. So I wrote a Linux script that installs it for you.
For the script see Post#18 in
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ommands-like-reboot-recovery-2.html#post76433

The base is
Coby Kyros 7015 - How to install CyanogenMod (Froyo based) - xda-developers

Since the script is a simple text file you can read it and do the steps manually if you can not run it (i.e. no Linux yet).

One very different approach is that this creates a backup file before ever being installed. Then clockworkmod restores the new backup. Not the same approach as the zip files of the other ROMs

There are a few hurdles in doing it yourself. (the script handles these for you)
1 - /system is mounted read-only and you need to edit it!
2 - Touch screen doesn't work until boot - edit -boot.

Once installed some apks like AngryBirds fail to load. The fix is copy the apk to /nand/ Then go to Settings -> SD Card -> Unmount SD Card. Now install from /nand/ then you have AngryBirds. After it's installed you can mount the SD Card again.

The mali.ko graphics fix is not there yet. I found a mali.ko for 2.2 but the size is wrong and it will not boot for me. HELP IF YOU CAN!
EDIT: Post #6 has the graphics fix - AngryBirds text is OK now

WiFi requires you to first turn OFF ethernet.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Interesting.. Still stuff needs to be iron out but looks like it would be neat to use for those who up to the task!

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
mmm... There are a lot of bugs in that version. There haven't been any changes since December. If I remember correctly when I had it installed in December, Youtube wasn't working, mounting of the sdcard wasn't working (or not always) and a few other things. If someone could fix these issues then it would be awesome as I really liked more this version than the Eclair one but without video, it's a deal breaker for me.
Good work regarding the script, I know some non-technical people could have problems doing the procedure on XDA.

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I like the 2.2 system (Froyo). Even though it's not perfect it gives us a chance to see and play with 2.2 on the Kyros MID7015-4G. I got Angry Birds to work, but don't have the graphics fix working. Also I did not automate the script to install Google Market, follow XDA's steps at this point if you want Market.
I have not yet seen a problem with sdcard - unmount and mount worked OK for me.
I just watched a YouTube video using Opera Brower.
With this forum there is a chance that members will help solve the issues.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Got the graphic's fix solved.
I posted the details here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...es-angry-birds-works-perfectly-tcc8902-4.html
in Post#40.
Angry Birds graphics are working now.
I'm trying to attach the modified mali.ko named mali.ko.ridgeland

Since /system is mounted read-only you need to first run
# Remount /system to have read+write - default is read-only
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2
adb shell chmod 755 /system
(Of course I have a script for that, I'll add it to the thread with the others)
Edit: script is in Post#19 in
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...terminal-commands-like-reboot-recovery-2.html

Then you can
adb push /..where-ever../mali.ko.ridgeland /system/lib/modules/mali.ko.ridgeland

then
adb shell ls -l /system/lib/modules
--- you should see the original and new one both size 1012000.
adb shell mv /system/lib/modules/mali.ko /system/lib/modules/mali.ko.original
adb shell cp /system/lib/modules/mali.ko.ridgeland /system/lib/modules/mali.ko
adb shell sync
adb shell reboot

Attachments

• $mali.ko.ridgeland.zip
    331.7 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:

worm9110

Feb 20, 2011
Ridgeland, cool very cool. Hoping to test this out later this week when I have time. What other issues should we be aware of that you have run into?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
worm9110,
The ROM thinks it's a phone. It seems to have the wake-up problem like gapps brings. File upload to the web should be better but I still find an issue. In Android 2.1 Dolphin refuses to allow selection of files to upload - (sending to my CopperMine photo gallery on my web site) In Android 2.2 Dolphin allows the file section but then always says it failed because the file size was 0 ?! Opera lets me upload on both 2.1 and 2.2. Opera 10.1 beta is better, more stable than Opera 11.
I wrote a script to purge bloat ware and deleted a lot. I'm still testing that. I'm not too crazy about all the CyanogenMod apps that are there. I'll test purging some of those.
My demands on the tablet are light. Others will push the limits more and identify more issues.

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
So should the artifacts in applications like astro be fixed with the graphic fix you provided ? If yes, then I might go back to Cyanogen. Might also use your script to have a lighter version.

That's good work

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
So should the artifacts in applications like astro be fixed with the graphic fix you provided?
Can't say.
I'm a light user. The only graphics problem I experienced was AngryBirds. I haven't tried Astro. In RIO it's birds flying from the cages and not white squares.

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
Once installed some apks like AngryBirds fail to load. The fix is copy the apk to /nand/ Then go to Settings -> SD Card -> Unmount SD Card. Now install from /nand/ then you have AngryBirds. After it's installed you can mount the SD Card again.
Are you able to get Angry Birds Rio to install? From what I recall, Rio will refuse to install if it doesn't see an SD Card. But with the SD Card mounted it will still refuse to install. In May there will be an update to Rio and another level will appear.

It's great that you got the graphics fix working, thanks for taking care of that. I also play Angry Birds Seasons which just got its Easter update. But it's really SLOW on the Coby. And with the Easter update some of the graphics aren't working now, even with the graphics fix. Rovio must have changed something. I always disable WiFi so the ads don't appear which also makes the game play slightly faster.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
WhiteWhiskers,
I just did the entire process of using the script to install CyanogenMod - to installing my 42 apps (script does that too) - to reinstalling the 4 that would not install - to adding the graphics fix.
The 4 that would not install were AngryBirds, AB-RIO, AB-Easter, FrozenBubble. I copied those to /nand/download then unmounted the sdcard (menu item) then used AndExplorer to install those 4 - no problem. I tested all four and the graphics are fine. RIO has birds flying from the cage, 10000 points for unused birds (see I'm good at AB or I wouldn't know about those 10000 points).
AB-RIO was a problem at first because I downloaded it from Amazon and their version refused to work until my installation had Amazon. Later Market had RIO and their version works fine here, even though I have not installed Market and may not.
I have seen AB doing a slow screen (unusual though). It's like a background process is hogging the cpu and later it's back up to speed again.
I like Airplane mode ON before playing AB so the ads don't get in the way of seeing the bird and when to click.
Next step will be a script PurgeBloatCyan.sh --- I've got 24 app in it so far. Still testing.

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
Well you finally convinced me, I flashed to CyanogenMod again. I installed the patched mali.ko file and it works fine. Angry Birds Rio plays just fine with full graphics. Still need to reset my books applications, they don't seem to take kindly to restores. Probably the hardest thing was getting a newer Android Market working. Finally installed Android Market 2.2.7 and it opens without doing a FC, which is a very common problem others have.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Post the details of how you installed Android Market 2.2.7 - Others (like me) would like to know.