[Rom][Howto] Vanilla AOSP Gingerbread v1.02 w/OC Kernel (updated 20110503)

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
[Rom][Howto] Vanilla AOSP Gingerbread v1.02 w/OC Kernel (updated 20110503)

Kornyone, a great Rom Developer, recently released another master piece for the Viewsonic gTablet community.
[ROM] Vanilla AOSP Gingerbread v1.02 w/OC Kernel (updated 20110503) - xda-developers

A> The Basic (from the Original Post as of 05/03/2011)

Gtablet AOSP is a project for pure vanilla Android with the Gtablet. It aims to be bare bones and as true to the AOSP code as possible. The Google AOSP code is modified as little as possible to provide functionality, and the ability to boot. It is stripped down for modification by the end user.

Using CyanogenMod device files, Pershoot's latest kernel (20110501, 2.6.32.39 with overclock ability), and some cherry picked cyanogenmod/nv-tegra files, a functional 'rom' and a github repo for this project has been created. As functionality has been added since inception, more pieces from Cyanogen are making there way in (browser fix and tweaks, some under the hood stuff, internal storage fixes, etc) to improve overall experience. All variances from original AOSP code is visible via the public git.
. . . . .
Change Log v1.02:
Fixed YouTube HQ video
Fixed h264/x264 video recognition
Fixed file downloads in browser
Latest GAPPS now work (no longer requires dated 20110120 build).
Forked skia from CM7 for performance enhancements with Gallery

The description is FANTASTIC, and with hardware acceleration for HQ video ! I've got to see it for myself.
As usual, after reading the original post and the feedback's, I write up the steps that I'd follow and adjust as necessary.

DISCLAIMER: Here is the instruction, which I followed successfully. However, use it at your own risks.
WARNING:
. Back up your data (i.e. nanoidbackup, titanium back-up, or other means) PRIOR to begin.
. Read thru the whole instruction PRIOR to begin.
. This Rom will map internal sd card to 'emmc' and external sd card to SDCARD. Therefore, when connected to PC, the external sd card will be shown.

1> First download the files (shown at the bottom)
2> If ClockWorkMod v0.8 was not installed, connect the tablet to PC, copy the recovery folder and update.zip (see download links) to the root of the internal sdcard. When done, power off and disconnect from PC. Then push and hold 'volumne up' and 'power' buttons on the tablet until a small text appears on the top right corner. Release both buttons. CWM will install.
3> Boot to CWM recovery with 'power' and 'volume up' buttons until a tiny message appears on the top right corner then release both buttons.
4> Choose "advanced", then "Partition SD Card", then select 2048M for Ext size, then 0M for swap size, then press the Home button to proceed.
5> Connect the tablet to PC using USB cable. Go to the "mounts and storage" menu, then choose "mount USB storage". You should see the tablet's internal SDCARD folder on your PC. There should be nothing shown in the root folder of the SDCARD.
6> Create a directory in the root of the internal SDCARD and name it 'Rom'. Copy all the downloaded files to the tablet's 'Rom' directory. Optional: create an 'MyApks' folder and copy some core applications such as launcher, file manager, titanium backup, etc . . . This will be handy after the installation.
7> Copy CWM's 'recovery' folder and 'update.zip' file to the root directory of the internal SDCARD.
Note: This is to re-install CWM. To enable it after the installation, boot into recovery twice (with 'power' and 'volume up' buttons).
8> Select 'unmount' and return to main menu of CWM. Disconnect the USB cable from the PC. Return to CWM main menu.
9> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip" and click the Home button to install.
10> Go to Advanced, and Clear Dalvik-cache. Return to CWM main menu.
11> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip" and click the Home button to install. This is a good option to ensure that gingerbread rom installs with minimum issue. Skip this step if you started from the stock 1.1.3588 firmware.
12> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "update-aosp-v1.02-Harmony-signed'.
13> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "gapps-gb-20110307-signed'.

When complete, select 'reboot'. The tablet will reboot and you will see three birds, then 'android', then bigger flashing 'android', then the home screen with Google setup. The whole process takes just over 2 minutes. Follow the Google setup until the home screen appears, then power off and reboot to finalize the installation.

The home screen now will have a lock bar. Slide it upward to unlock.

The market will appear after wifi is properly set up and connected. At this point, the first thing to do is signing in Google account, access the market and download the free ES File Manager as the Rom does not pack with any file manager at all. May as well download other free apps such as flash player 10.2, google maps, advanded task killer, dropbox, google sky map, barcode scanner, astro file manager, etc . .

Optional: The rom maps internal sd card to emmc and external sd card to sdcard. If you like to map internal sd to SDCARD, you may want to consider this thread Cm7 sd card "fix' - xda-developers

Enjoy the one of the best Rom's to date.

This rom would take a bit of times to set up and tweak after the final installation. When done, everything would work smoothly and the HQ video streaming is great. Due to the nature of the rom, as the developer called it 'plain jane', advanced users would appreciate it more than us newbies.

There are two things that I rather to see different:
. The included keyboard is awkward to use. I most prefer the standard TnT Western Keyboard. It seemed that there is no certain way to fix it.
. The internal sd card should be SDCARD and the external sd card should be SDCARD2. Hope that the developer would consider the idea.

Dave,
05/03/2011

Download lists:
. ClockWorkModv0.8 gtab-cwm-v08.zip or xda-developers.
After downloading to PC, unpack to have a recovery folder and an update.zip file. Note their location.
. Rom: Vanilla AOSP Gingerbread v1.02 w/OC Kernel update-aosp-v1.02-Harmony-signed.zip
. Stock 3588 image http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/tapntap/viewsonic/update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip
. Calkulin's Format_all.zip xda-developers
. Gingerbread GAPPS -- gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip Downloading GApps... or Index of /google-apps/ and select '20110307 Universal'

Edit: Added Screen Shot of the Main Menu using Gojimi's VTL.Launcher.

2jf0ec2.jpg

Edit 5/8/2011: Great Update Vanilla Flavored AOSP (Gingerbread 2.3.4)

Changes:
v1.03
External mounting now supports emmc and sdcard simultaneously.
FLAC decoding is included.
Minor upstream changes.

V1.03 zip file -- http://www.mediafire.com/?aj69ubpkm3dfk3x
MD5 -- b621ca65ee3f91d9c2bf5e8ab9125edf

Last edited:

odiedogg

May 4, 2011
Thanks for this guide!

This would be the perfect ROM for me if soft buttons were enabled. (These are essential if you're reading an ebook in a dark room and can't see the regular buttons.)

The XDA thread has instructions for adding soft buttons, but they require rebuilding from source. I'm several hours into figuring out how to do this, with several more to go.

If any of you more savvy types happen to add soft buttons before I figure it out, I'd LOVE a copy of your efforts!

Androo

Feb 9, 2011
Installed this ROM today, steps were really simple to use, and I'm highly enjoying this. The touchscreen is pretty nice and responsive. I installed a more recent VTLauncher though, but other than that, I highly recommend this ROM; I'm still messing around with it though.