[ROM] JellyPad (Jelly Bean for ViewPad 10s)

Legionnaire

Developer
Oct 2, 2011
$JellyPad-HomeScreen.jpg

JellyPad is custom ROM (Android 4.1.1/Jelly Bean) for ViewPad 10S. This is customization of the VegaBean (by Scanno). I have to modified the VegaBean and adapted it for ViewPad 10s in order to be usable on our tablets. All credits go to Scanno, Eduardo and other vegabean devs.

Changelog:

v1.0
09-12-2012
  • Scaling Governor has been changed to CONSERVATIVE (no more black screen)
  • USB Host Mode is enabled by default (helps to fix touch screen issue)
  • build.prop has been modified (recognizes the device as ViewPad 10S)
  • Launcher has been modified
  • Framework has been modified
  • Images are optimized (to save valuable space)
  • Duplicated and unusable audio files are removed (to save valuable space)
  • Added widgets: weather, email and lockscreen
v1.1 09-15-2012
v1.2 09-18-2012
  • SuperSU has been added, instead of Superuser
  • Deep Sleep issue has been fixed
  • Minor graphic fixes
v1.3 09-24-2012
  • SuperSU has been removed
  • WiFi issue has been fixed
  • New Huawei RIL (from Eduardo)
v2.0 10-05-2012
  • zRAM enabled (from LeoP)
  • New Huawei RIL (from Eduardo)
  • OTA (Over-the-air) Updates from now!

BACKUP ANYTHING IMPORTANT FROM YOUR DEVICE!
I'm not responsible for anything happens to your device!

Installation (Windows)

Format the SD card as follows:

Partition 1 - Fat32 Primary
Partition 2 - Ext4 Primary

Tip: For the best results use the GParted Partition Editor in Linux.

Insert SD card in your tablet.
Then install USB driver for ViewPad 10s.
Download driver: ViewPad 10s USB driver
Step-by-step instructions for driver installation: PDF
Open PDF file, go to the page 4, follow instructions from step 1. to step 8.
Close PDF when you done step 8.
If you correctly create partitions, download the file [ROM]_JellyPad_v2.0.exe (159.19 MB)
Wait a few minutes to finish installation process.
Turn on your tablet.
After the boot screen, at the settings (when it asks for the system language) reboot the tablet immediately. REQUIRED!
Wait a few minutes for the tablet to boot up.

Installation (Linux)

Tip: For the best results use the GParted Partition Editor.

Insert SD card in your tablet.
Turn on the device in NVflash mode.
Download the package [ROM]_JellyPad_v2.0.tar.gz (160.65 MB)
Unpack and run install.sh
Wait a few minutes to finish installation process.
Turn on your tablet.
After the boot screen, at the settings (when it asks for the system language) reboot the tablet immediately. REQUIRED!
Wait a few minutes for the tablet to boot up.

Things to remember when installing:
- Create the correct partitions and file systems on the SD card before installing
- Create the partitions and file systems not from CWM, but from a PC
- Use Ext4 for the INT2EXT+ partition, not Ext2, not Ext3, but Ext4
- Never ever reuse existing file systems, format newly
- After first boot reboot the tablet immediately
- The first and second boot can take a while, don't panic
- Don't install application link2sd like
- DO ALL THE STEPS CORRECTLY, DON'T SKIP ANY!

Have a fun! :D

Last edited:

liquidcat

Dec 16, 2011
Hey Legionnaire, it's nice to have you back! Cheers for the new rom btw; I'm using VegaBean on my Viewpad 10s and very happy with it but I have some issues. Touchscreen is terrible (I'm having this problem for a loong time and on many roms including good old VegaComb). Do you know what might be the reason (it works fine on stock rom)?
Also what are the differences with VegaBean and JellyPad?

Legionnaire

Developer
Oct 2, 2011
Hey Legionnaire, it's nice to have you back! Cheers for the new rom btw; I'm using VegaBean on my Viewpad 10s and very happy with it but I have some issues. Touchscreen is terrible (I'm having this problem for a loong time and on many roms including good old VegaComb). Do you know what might be the reason (it works fine on stock rom)?
Hi,
Yesterday I have experienced touch screen issue, this is how I solved it AdventVegaFAQ:Most touchscreen issue’s explained and the reason some touchscreens are dying on P10A - TabletRoms.com

Also what are the differences with VegaBean and JellyPad?
Read just one post above yours...

Changelog:

v1.0
09-12-2012

• Added widgets: weather, email and lockscree

liquidcat

Dec 16, 2011
Thanks, I will look into it when I get home today. I hope it works :)

Read just one post above yours...

Changelog:

v1.0
09-12-2012

• Added widgets: weather, email and lockscreen

Didn't see that, sorry!

fawad

Sep 18, 2012
Sorry to be a n00b but can you tell me how i can format my SD in EXT4 format and set both partitions as primary. Do you use a particular software?. I had installed JellyPad 1.1 on my ViewPad 10s and it installed fine however I have not partitioned it into two partitions as you had mentioned. Are these partitions for supporting something similar to what Hybrid2SD does ?

View attachment 8092

Installation

liquidcat

Dec 16, 2011
Sorry to be a n00b but can you tell me how i can format my SD in EXT4 format and set both partitions as primary. Do you use a particular software?. I had installed JellyPad 1.1 on my ViewPad 10s and it installed fine however I have not partitioned it into two partitions as you had mentioned. Are these partitions for supporting something similar to what Hybrid2SD does ?
I used Mini Tools Partition Wizard. It is pretty simple to use.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - CNET Download.com
Just split the drive partition and format it as Ext4. The upside for this application is it backups the files in the card so that you won't lose any files when it formats. But beware: if you have many files in the sd card it may take a hour to complete the partitioning.

fawad

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the quick response, i will surely give MiniTool a try, one more issue that just popped up. When i flash the JellyPad ROM i can boot into the tablet and i can install apps etc. However when i restart it again it gets stuck at boot screen. Is that some how related to SD. Even tried booting without the SD but it still gets struck at boot. I have flashed the rom thrice,and the first time I was able to boot repeatability without any issues but after a while it got stuck at boot screen and won't boot up. I flashed the rom back on the tablet and i was able to boot up fine the first time and i used it for hours and install apps but after i shut it down and rebooted it again it again got struck on the boot screen, tried flashing it again and same results. Not sure what am i missing

I used Mini Tools Partition Wizard. It is pretty simple to use.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - CNET Download.com
Just split the drive partition and format it as Ext4. The upside for this application is it backups the files in the card so that you won't lose any files when it formats. But beware: if you have many files in the sd card it may take a hour to complete the partitioning.

Legionnaire

Developer
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the quick response, i will surely give MiniTool a try, one more issue that just popped up. When i flash the JellyPad ROM i can boot into the tablet and i can install apps etc. However when i restart it again it gets stuck at boot screen. Is that some how related to SD. Even tried booting without the SD but it still gets struck at boot. I have flashed the rom thrice,and the first time I was able to boot repeatability without any issues but after a while it got stuck at boot screen and won't boot up. I flashed the rom back on the tablet and i was able to boot up fine the first time and i used it for hours and install apps but after i shut it down and rebooted it again it again got struck on the boot screen, tried flashing it again and same results. Not sure what am i missing
DO NOT use MiniTool Partition Wizard! Avoid Windows if you can...
Just follow the instructions, create partitions properly and will not happen boot loop!
So simple...

sijoune

Sep 18, 2012
Hi Legionnaire. I have a 16GB SD card. Can you please tell me how big each partition should be.
For ex.
Fat32 Partition 1 - 4GB
Ext4 Partition 1 - 12GB

Thanks!

sijoune

Sep 18, 2012
I formatted my sd card the way you told me (Partition 1 - Fat32 Primary .....12GB, Partition 2 - Ext4 Primary ........4GB) using gparted in linux.
I installed version 1.2 and after the first reboot, it stucks in the boot screen...
I re-installed 3 times. Every time its the same.

Like you said in the instructions, i reboot when the system starts (after the boot screen, when it asks me which is my language.)
Am i doing something wrong? Should i reboot later or sooner?

PS. One time i didnt reboot right after the installation, and i was able to use the tablet without any issues, but when i rebooted it stuck again in the boot screen...

sijoune

Sep 18, 2012
Legionnaire, when you say in the instructions "When the system starts up reboot the tablet immediately. ", at what point exactly do you mean?

-Before the boot screen?
-After the boot screen, at the settings (when it asks for the system language)?
-After the settings?

I repartitioned my sd card and tried for the 4th time and it stops in the boot screen...

Legionnaire

Developer
Oct 2, 2011
Legionnaire, when you say in the instructions "When the system starts up reboot the tablet immediately. ", at what point exactly do you mean?

-Before the boot screen?
-After the boot screen, at the settings (when it asks for the system language)?
-After the settings?
After the boot screen, at the settings (when it asks for the system language)

I repartitioned my sd card and tried for the 4th time and it stops in the boot screen...
Some people have reported that it takes up to 20 minutes for the first reboot.

Last edited:

fawad

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks Legionnaire for the guidance, i got it working following your updated guide, i have a few observations to share

1. Generally version 1.2 seems slower than 1.1, perhaps my SD is slow, hence the slow down
2. Tapping is not as responsive as 1.1 but it has false taps that was eminent in 1.1
3. On first boot, i rebooted the tablet as per your instructions, however for some reason when i clicked on Google Play app it would give out an error, something like app cannot be found. I downloaded a version for Android 4 from somewhere and it would still crash. Finally i came across a forum where someone had posted steps to rectify this. It had something to do with deleting app cache and finally rolling back the app to factory settings. Once i did that google play starting working. I am not sure if this is something that happened with my tablet only or it had something to do with the ROM.

Edit
4. Wifi doesn't seem to remember its password, perhaps it has something to do with google's tablet backup capability ?.
5. Wifi doesn't connect immediately once you give the proper credentials, again this can be an issue at my end, i am still investigating this one

DO NOT use MiniTool Partition Wizard! Avoid Windows if you can...
Just follow the instructions, create partitions properly and will not happen boot loop!
So simple...

Last edited: